First Midwife Visit

mandspice

Reaction score
Hello all!

I have my first Midwife appointment next week - can anyone tell me what this entails? Does she do the blood tests? Does she examine you /listen to heartbeat? Or is it more to collect info and fill in forms etc?

I had mine last week, just really form filling and they give you a bounty bag full of info and a NHS book which is usefull.
I had blood tests about 5 containers of blood was taken from me for various things.
They ask you family history of medical and if you have had chicken poxx as a kid (which i couldnt remember) so another blood test was required!
They give you info about when you will see them and ask where you want to give birth etc.

i think it depends on the area, what ur midwife like to do and how busy they are!

I had my first midwife appointment at 8 weeks, which just involved questions, filling in paperwrk, working out dates, and an introduction to my midwife really, got a few leaflets on pregnancy etc.

i had to make an appointment to do my bloods which i had on monday this week which is when i also got my bounty pack and a couple of pregnancy text books, was like i was going to revise for an exam lol

It seems to be different from mw to mw! Mine just filled out lots of forms and asked alot about medical history which was awkward. I mean seriously I dont even know if ive had chicken pox or not as my mother had four kids and she can't remember which of them had what!! lol Apart from that it was just a urine test, blood pressure, weight, height and an app given for scan..

:wave:

I had mine on Tues morning this week. I was sitting in the waiting room wondering what the midwife would be like, and she turned out to look like a really sturn old matron. However, she was really nice.

What really embarassed me though, was when she said to me in a load voice..."done your wee wee sample?"!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: The whole waiting room heard it, men included!!!

Did anyone find it a bit daunting?

Z

No not daunting...my midwife was ok, young and i met her in a nursery?! so was away from hospitals and doctors which was nice.

I have mine on Monday. She called me last week to arrange the appt and she sounds very nice. I am 99% sure I met her briefly after one of my nephews was born as she signed off my sister from Midwife care.

I'm really looking forward to my appt :D

when do u get your maternity exemption certificate ? i wanna go dentist :rotfl:

It's quite exciting isn't it, makes you realise things are progressing!

I went to the dentist at 6 weeks for a check up and said I was pregnant, they didn't question it or ask for any proof and I got it free! Gonna go back for a new bridge soon hehe

It differs from area to midwife. I had a lovely booking in visit at 13+4 week and was there for ages.
She booked me in to hospital for the birth, took bloods, did a urine test and just chatted to me and my hubby in general.
It was a lovely visit and made me feel very positive and looked forward to seeing her again.

Also got loads of bounty stuff and lots of other pregnancy goodies

Mine just filled out loads of forms! I didn't get my bounty pack till I went to the hospital for my scan at 12 weeks and the hospital midwife gave me the bounty pack. I had my bloods done around 11 weeks when my usual midwife came to my house.

i have got mine next wednesday... i will be 7 1/2 weeks then
Been told its an hour appointment

I have my first one next Thursday too.

Just been told it'll take an hour. She is visiting me at home.

I've been sent a medical history pack to complete as much as I can before the appointment.

I'm hoping she'll be able to check for a heartbeat as I'll be nearly 10wks by then.

G3M said:
when do u get your maternity exemption certificate ? i wanna go dentist :rotfl:

I got mine at the booking appointment and you have to send off for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back