What Did They Do?

BabyLove

Reaction score
What Did Your Birth Partner Do During Your Labour? Just Curious To Know Whether Your OH's Panicked/Got Excited/Helped etc.. I Think Mine Will Go Into a Big Flap, Keel Over & Have To Be Given Valium :lol:

Nat was great, stopwatch timed my contractions while I was in the bath, rung the hospital for me (i'm a wimp on the phone at the best of times), held my gas and air when i was in hospital, pressed the call button before the canister ran out, and just generally held my hand and said things would be ok and i'm doing well. Not much really, but enough for me to feel supported.

same as above really, with both my children he was there and fully supportive and would do anything i asked, probably wouldnt dare ignoring me :lol:

my boyf inflated the pool and filled it with water, and let me crush the bones in his hand! lol. he gave me lots of reassurance when i thought i couldnt do it and was crying.
he said he found it exciting when he could SEE things were happening (when it was time to push)

oh yeah, and the main thing was- he foned the MWs for me (i left it too late really i was unable to speak by the time i wanted them to come here)
if he hadnt- as i was unable to- i wouldve been on my own! :shock:

malc and kieron sat and watched the cricket lol

I was induced..so not much to do
except gas and air made me so thirsty i kept shouting water at him which he got..

he also looked very shocked when i told him to shut up which amused me and i laughed to myself :rotfl:

Mine drank a lot of tea and ate biscuits while i was only allowed to sip on water. Anybody would have thought it was him doing all the bloody hard work :roll:

not much they could do really as im the kind of person who likes to cope in my own way and doesnt like people faffing around me. OH and my mum both held my hand thru contractions tho, OH stayed quiet but my mum did drive me mad tryin to get me have pain relief altho i didnt want none lol but i think she just didnt like seeing me in pain. i was really proud of my other half cus he held a sick bowl whilst i was throwing up lol even tho he hates ppl being sick!

xxxxx

My OH was amazing, I'm not being soppy, I'm so in awe of how well he handled everything, I think he had it worse than me.
He was my voice and my rock and he rubbed my back and thighs so much his hands tingled for days afterwards, bless him :lol:
I'll never forget feeling so happy he was there :D
Your OH may just surprise you Carly :wink: :hug:

Brian was brilliant.... especially since he just about faints at the sight of blood on ER or Holby City. I was so worried that he would collapse, but he was wonderful.

He tried to make me laugh, spoke about our honeymoon and all the nice things to try and make "happy thoughts" through the contractions.
Told the nasty MW (one that came in to cover a shift change) to F*** off when she was REALLY horrid, helped the midwife with the delivery, cut the cord....

I was so happy he was there with me.

My OH was amazing. He was really calm, fetched me water when I needed it, cleaned up my sick, called the midwife and my mum, rubbed my back during the contractions, and told me how great I was doing!

Lets see.... My ex came with me to the hospital... stayed for about an hour then mw siad it was going to be a while, and he might want to go grab a bite to eat quickly while things were quiet... which obviously translated into his brain as... let's go home, call my mates and have a weed smoking and playstation session round my house...

As it turned out the mw was wrong, my labour sped up.. and I was left on my own trying to bring Tia into the world. By the time my ex turned up there were so many people in my room waiting for Tia's arrival as she was so distressed, he couldn't get in.. and she was born a few minutes later. I didn't even have anyones hand to hold... :( Although my mw was great as she couldn't believe I'd been left on my own.

My ex was also delightful enough to say, when they said it was a girl, and were trying to resuscitate her that he was "disappointed" it wasn't a boy.. He also blamed his late arrival on the taxi not turning up, but tbh he shouldn't have gone home in the first place as we lived miles away... but that was his call.

Yup I did pretty much the whole birthing thing on my own, mind you the rest of my parenting career where my ex is concerned hasn't changed much :roll:

kimheath said:
not much they could do really as im the kind of person who likes to cope in my own way and doesnt like people faffing around me.

This Sounds Exactly Like Me & Its What Im Concerned About. Plus I HATE Being Around Anyone When Im In Pain & Get Really Really Nasty If People Come Near Me Or Try Touching/Talking... So Labour Should Be Fun :|

Im Worried In Advance For My OH, I Can Just Picture The Abuse He's Going To Get Poor Guy :( x

My OH was great during labour. I couldn't of asked for a better birthing partner. He held my hand and talked to me and carried on throughout my contractions and gave me loads of encouragement. He also gave me loads of hugs and was really great. He cried while I was in labour as he didn't like seeing me in so much pain bless him. He didn't want me to have a epidural before I went into labour as he was worried about the risks from it but while I was in labour he was crying for me to have one :D If I ever decide to have another baby I would love him to be there. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just keep an open mind, warn OH to do EXACTLY what you tell him whether that's to stay on the other side of the room or hold your hand and you'll both be great!

Last edited:
My OH was great during the early part of active labour, giving me water and keepin my mind busy by playing a word game so I had something to try and concentrate during my contractions which did help a lot.

During the pushing bit he wasnt very helpful to be honest but it didnt bother me as I just needed to get on with it myself.

Afterwards he hung about for about an hour while I was being stitched uo but then said he had to go home to get some sleep (it was sunday morning and I hadnt slept since thursday night but he had slept while I was having contractions at home :roll: ). I was quite upset about that because I'd had an epidural so I was left in the delivery room, just me and Jake. I couldnt cuddle him or attempt to feed him. I was there for 4 hours left with Jake by ourselves before I was cleaned up and taken up to the ward :evil:

i had my sister there aswell with all off mine, she knows exactly what i want and she,s is brilliant, she helps my partner too.

My OH was pretty good, fetching stuff and bringing me drinks etc and I squished his hand later.
I think most men must seem pretty lost, he did a reasonable job, although at one point I had to tell him to go and wash his hands cos they stank after a cigarette and I was holding one of his hands near my face.

After birth he stayed until he couldn't stay any more cos they were moving me up to the ward, then came to visit lots until I came home.

xCarly said:
kimheath said:
not much they could do really as im the kind of person who likes to cope in my own way and doesnt like people faffing around me.

This Sounds Exactly Like Me & Its What Im Concerned About. Plus I HATE Being Around Anyone When Im In Pain & Get Really Really Nasty If People Come Near Me Or Try Touching/Talking... So Labour Should Be Fun :|

Im Worried In Advance For My OH, I Can Just Picture The Abuse He's Going To Get Poor Guy :( x

i just let them know before hand that i might shout at them if they interfere to much and i asked them to just be in the room and i will ask if i need them. they were fine with this and i was quite surprised how much i did want them to hold my hands and hear there words of encouragement. i wanted my mum there becus i didnt want pain relief or if i needed an emergency c-section i wanted to be put asleep not have an epidural and i knew my OH would forget all the details i wanted but my mum wouldnt lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back