Membrane Sweep...Do they work???

tallulah73

Reaction score
I will be 7 days overdue on Monday and the midwife is calling round on Monday morning to do a membrane sweep.
For those ladies who have had a sweep...did it work for you and if so how long after having it done did you go into labour??

x

:wave: how are you doing with it all??

I had a sweep when I was T+9 and I had had absolutely no signs of labour absolutely nothing. It started off braxton hicks but when I went in to be induced at T+12 I was monitored and they said it was contractions. It didn't take much at all to get me into labour (1 pessary) and I progressed well (until bubba turned!) anyway have a feeling I might have gone into labour naturally a couple of days later anyway.
:hug: :hug: :hug:

Hey! :hug:
Didn't realise you'd gone overdue with your LO...so you will know how im feelin.
Im trying to keep positive and keep telling myself whatever happens (or doesn't happen) this week i will have my LO by next weekend.
x

:lol: yes I thoroughly understand hun! I just kept telling myself that by this date I was guaranteed to have my LO. I kept making plans so I was going to 2 weddings the fri and sat before I was induced on the monday :lol: dammit I wanted my waters to break in the middle of the services :lol:

Anyway off on a tangent here lots of hugs from me :hug: :hug: :hug: and remember if you need to rant or a pep talk via text I'm here for you :D

I had three of them, got booked in for an induction, one lot of gel - which wore off, and finally went into labour when my waters broke while being examined and assessed for a second lot of gel. :)
Sweeps work for some people, I suppose it just depends on the person or even the LO! If they wanna stay then they'll stay!

i had 2 sweeps and went into labour 2 days after the second one but i think u have to be ready.

I had 3 sweeps and none of them worked. I had them at term, term plus 3 and term plus 10

Hi, I had a sweep with my DD. The midwife who did it said that it didn't seem very favourable (they like that word). But exactly 12 hours later my waters broke!!

Hope it works for you hun x

I had a sweep done at 2 days overdue. My midwife told me I'd be in labour by the next day at the latest as she could feel Aimee's head... I went 13 days overdue and was induced!

It seems like a 50/50 thing! Good luck hun! :hug:

mine didn't, but that's because my cervix was still really high, i think your body has to be doing something, and the sweep just helps it along.
i had another n the hospital when i was being induced, but that didn't work either!

hi hun, i had 2 or 3 sweeps and i still had to be induced, it works wonders for some though - good luck :hug:

I had a sweep at +5 where I was 2-3cm dilated. Then another at +8 where I was 3-4cm which started painful but inconsistent contractions. My midwife sent me to be monitored on +9 as my blood pressure had soared but it was okay and they recorded some quite strong contractions but I was still 4cm (they did a very rough internal - ow!) and the contractions were inconsistent. Jessica had turned back to back though which is why things were so slow and painful. The hospital offered to send me to delivery for pain relief but I wanted to go home. I managed 3 hours at home before deciding I was not coping very well at home! Jessica was born 13 hours later (although I think she'd still be there now as they had to drag her out with great force!)

I think my sweeps did help although things were obviously already happening but I don't think anything would have happened very quickly or easily as she had turned back to back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back