What can I do to increase CM around ovulation?

MicheLou

Reaction score
I have read that by simply drinking more water will increase EWCM around ovulation but surely it can't be as simple as that? Any other ideas to help me boost it?

water is best :D it's a bodily fluid like any other :wink:

baby carrots (don't ask me why :? ) also are recommended - or preseed (I think it's called) a lubricant that does the same thing as cm

When I was TTC with my son we were all taking medicine that had a particular ingredient in which was supposed to help. Can't remember exactly what it was called now, it's been mentioned recently on here.

But I'm sure the month that I conceived I didn't have lots of EWCM. So don't worry too much about it if you don't have any. Just make sure you BD regularly.

magic medicine :D cough medicine with the active ingredient Guaifenesin

I have read that by simply drinking more water will increase EWCM around ovulation but surely it can't be as simple as that? Any other ideas to help me boost it?

water is best :D it's a bodily fluid like any other :wink:

baby carrots (don't ask me why :? ) also are recommended - or preseed (I think it's called) a lubricant that does the same thing as cm

When I was TTC with my son we were all taking medicine that had a particular ingredient in which was supposed to help. Can't remember exactly what it was called now, it's been mentioned recently on here.

But I'm sure the month that I conceived I didn't have lots of EWCM. So don't worry too much about it if you don't have any. Just make sure you BD regularly.

magic medicine :D cough medicine with the active ingredient Guaifenesin

:wave: I found this that someone else posted previously.

What kind of Robitussin is used to improve cervical mucus?

One should buy the plain kind with no letters after it. The only active ingredient is guaifenesin, and it contains 100 mg per teaspoon. It is very important to avoid the versions that contain decongestants as those may dry up cervical mucus. Also, there is some conflicting information about whether dextromethorphan, the DM in some cough medicine names, may be linked to birth defects such as neural tube defects and cleft palate.

Do I need to use the brand Robitussin?
No. Robitussin is the most common brand name, at least in the U.S., that carries a guaifenesin-only expectorant, but there are other brands and generics available. As long as the only active ingredient is guaifenesin, you can use any variety you find. For those with diabetes or otherwise concerned about sugar intake, there is the brand Diabetic Tussin available.

What is the recommended dose of guaifenesin?
The recommended dose for improving cervical mucus, based on a 1982 article in Fertility and Sterility, is two teaspoons (200 mg) taken orally three times per day. If mucus still appears thick and doesn't have good spinnbarkeit (ability to stretch), one can take as much as four teaspoons (400 mg) four times per day (the maximum dose on this over the counter medication). Each dose should be taken with a full glass of water, and attention should be given to drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day -- one needs water to produce mucus.

What cycle days should one take guaifenesin?
Just as the dose can vary a bit, so can the days. The article linked above had patients starting the guaifenesin on cycle day 5 - five days after the start of menses. This seems rather early as mucus is not an issue until about five days before ovulation - based on the fact that sperm can only live five days at best, and most pregnancies are the result of intercourse in the five days leading up to ovulation. Because of this information, it is now more common for doctors to suggest starting guaifenesin about five days before expected ovulation and continuing through ovulation day (six days total, for those with regular cycles). For those with irregular cycles, one should start taking guaifenesin about five days before the earliest day ovulation might be expected. For those taking Clomid (clomiphene citrate, Serophene) in a 5-day protocol, one can probably wait until the day after the last Clomid pill before starting the expectorant.

Is guaifenesin available in pill form?

Yes, but in most cases a prescription is needed. In the U.S., one can get a 600 mg time released caplet as the generic Guaifenesin CR, or brands Humibid LA, and Fenesin. This is often less expensive than the liquid. Another brand that is available OTC is Mucinex, though it probably is not a cost savings.

How does one diagnose cervical factor/hostile mucus?
Many women try taking guaifenesin after noting little or no egg white (stretchy) cervical mucus while charting their fertility signals, but clinically it is diagnosed when a doctor checks mucus one or two days before ovulation in what is usually referred to as a post-coital test. The doctor does a vaginal exam and takes a sample of mucus to immediately analyze under a microscope to check for live sperm and for a ferning pattern. It is also checked for signs of infection. Quality mucus will be stretchy, fern, lack cellularity, and have live sperm swimming in it.

Why do so many women take guaifenesin while on Clomid?
Clomid (clomiphene citrate, Serophene) can cause hostile mucus in 30 percent or more of women using it. Higher doses tend to be more associated with less cervical fluid and a thinner uterine lining, than the 50 mg dose.

Will guaifenesin help if there is little or no mucus present?
Guaifenesin doesn't actually create mucus, it only thins what is already there. One would need to look into why there is no mucus (infection, not really ovulating), or bypass the mucus issue by doing intrauterine insemination.

Does one need to take guaifenesin when doing intrauterine insemination (IUI)?
It would only make sense to take guaifenesin if one is planning to have intercourse in addition to doing IUI. Those doing donor insemination, for example, wouldn't benefit.

Will taking guaifenesin cause any problems if it isn't needed?
Probably not. Since fertile mucus can be watery, there is probably no harm in taking guaifenesin and thinning it out.

What are some other possible ways to improve cervical mucus?
Drinking plenty of water should always be considered in addition to any other therapies one might try. Estrogen is sometimes given to help mucus production, though doctors have mixed opinions of its benefit, especially when used with Clomid (and some suggest using Tamoxifen instead of Clomid). Injectable gonadotropins used for controlled ovarian hyperstimulation often have a positive effect on cervical mucus as well. Some home/natural remedies include eating salty foods such as popcorn (mucus is very salty), taking evening primrose oil, avoiding dairy products (they can thicken mucus), eating lots of baby carrots, and also avoiding antihistamines, including high doses of vitamin C. Another suggestion that is increasing in popularity is to drink grapefruit juice in order to improve or increase the amount of cervical mucus. If one is on prescription medications, it is a good idea to look for warning about grapefruit juice consumption (it isn't recommended with several medications for hypertension, for example).

Can lubricants be used in place of CM?
Lubricants aid in intercourse, but not in sperm travel through the cervix. Most over the counter lubricants are not "sperm friendly" -- meaning that using them is likely to kill off some sperm. In most cases, one needs to weigh the benefits against the risks . . . it may well be worth losing a few sperm to make it possible to complete intercourse. That said, there are some friendlier options out there. One is FemGlide, a lubricant you can get from your doctor. You can buy the same product marketed as Slippery Stuff (apparently more available at stores that sell sexual aids than at pharmacies and such). There is also a more recently introduced product called Pre-Seed from Bio-Origyn. Another option discussed on many fertility boards is using raw egg whites at room temperature. There may be some risk of salmonella exposure with egg whites, so some suggest using pasteurized egg whites available in the grocery store. With any lubricant, it is generally best to use as little as possible.

Does guaifenesin do anything for male factor infertility?
It is possible that men with thick semen may benefit from guaifenesin in the same manner it helps with cervical mucus in women. The suggested doses on the newsgroups and fertility boards range from two teaspoons twice per day to four teaspoons four times per day.

Good Luck.

Sus x

Found this too!

Agnus Castus and Egg White Cervical Mucus

Herbal remedies are not at all a stranger in the world of cervical mucus. Any woman that is trying to get pregnant and runs into problems with her cervical mucus will probably try a simple at home remedy before trying more intense treatments with her doctor and Agnus Castus may just be one of those remedies that she tries. Agnus Castus is an herb that has been used to help regulate a womans cycle for a long, long time. In fact, studies have shown that as many as 40% of the women who take Agnus Castus will great pregnant within six months, which is great!

Agnus Castus and egg white cervical mucus go hand in hand, but in an indirect way. This is an herb that is typically used for women that have very irregular menstrual cycles and may not be ovulating. This herb is known to help regulate the menstrual cycle so that a woman can in fact ovulate and develop egg white cervical mucus that aides in fertilization and implantation. As you can see, Agnus Castus doesnt specifically change or improve cervical mucus, instead it regulates the whole cycle so that a woman will produce the type of mucus that is ideal for fertilization.

Agnus Castus is best used with other cervical mucus remedies such as an increase in fluids, Robitussin, and perhaps Evening Primrose Oil and even Estrogen cream. All of these items will come together to regulate the cycle and produce the proper type of cervical mucus that will allow pregnancy to take place. While cervical mucus alone typically does not cause infertility, the lack of it, or the wrong consistency makes it much more difficult. Combining all of these products is not all that expensive and will result in an increase in quantity and quality of your cervical mucus.

When using Agnus Castus you cannot expect to see an overnight improvement. As with all herbs, such as Evening Primrose Oil, you may need to wait as long as one to three cycles to build up the levels in the body and see a change. It may be frustrating waiting to see an improvement, but Agnus Castus has proven to be a very reliable product for egg white cervical mucus improvements, making it worth the wait.

You can find Agnus Castus over the counter at your typical drug store or your herbal supplement provider. You may have to take the herb for as many as six months so you should opt to buy the bigger, bulk sized container of the herb to make the process more affordable. This is an herb that is almost always worth the investment, especially when you pair it up with some other substances that are known to improve the quality and quantity of egg white cervical mucus.

Baby Carrots and Cervical Mucus

Hostile and insufficient cervical mucus is a common worry of women when they are trying to conceive. Problematic cervical mucus can make getting pregnant a lot more difficult, which is why individuals and doctors alike have turned to many remedies to repair the cervical mucus issues. One of the remedies that many women and doctors swear by to fix a whole slew of cervical mucus problems is baby carrots. Apparently women that eat a lot of baby carrots if they do not produce sufficient amounts of cervical mucus may experience a change which enables them to get pregnant.

Baby carrots are known to be very alkaline and this often helps hostile cervical mucus become much more accommodating to sperm. Of course, baby carrots are usually used in conjunction with other simple remedies that have also proven effective. One of the best combinations is increased water intake, eating a lot of baby carrots, and taking Evening Primrose Oil. All of these things are known to create better cervical mucus no matter what your issue is, so when you combine all three you are almost sure to see some improvement. Carrots are good for you, so you know that even if you eat them in large quantities they are not going to affect you negatively. The worst thing that happens is that you snack on something healthy and see no change; the best thing is that it improves the quality of your cervical mucus allowing you to get pregnant easily.

Many doctors speculate that baby carrots do not really work all that well to change or help create change in cervical mucus while others swear that because of baby carrots they were able to conceive. There isnt a whole lot of scientific data to back up the claim that baby carrots help with cervical mucus, but that does not mean that it is a lost cause. All of these women and doctors wouldnt claim success if the remedy didnt work for some of them. And, when you combine the baby carrots with other remedies that are known to work then you are sure to see an improvement no matter what.

If you are really at your wits end and you want to see some improvement in your cervical mucus, it will not hurt to try the baby carrot method. These vegetables are known to be very alkaline, which is often what is needed and they are also a healthy food, which will add to the health of your cervical fluid. If you like carrots, why not throw them into your cervical mucus mix along with water, Evening Primrose Oil, Robitussin, and a variety of other things to ensure success? Who knows, the baby carrots may be the item that pushes you over the edge and allows you to become pregnant in record time!

Grapefruit Juice and Cervical Mucus

Drinking grapefruit juice while trying to conceive has long been recommended by mothers, doctors, and midwives to aide in the fertilization process. The grapefruit juice is said to help thin the cervical mucus so that the sperm can travel easily from the vagina, through the uterus and into the fallopian tubes to meet the egg. The egg white consistency cervical mucus is known to be the most fertile in every woman, but not every woman can product this type of cervical mucus on her own, and so many generations have turned to grapefruit juice.

Of course, like many home remedies there are varying rates of success with this cervical mucus remedy. Some women report that they see an instant improvement while others report minimal improvement and others still see no change. Its important to remember that every womans body responds to every drug, chemical, and naturally occurring substance differently so there is no way to determine if this remedy will work for you. But, if you are in search of a natural remedy to improve the texture of your cervical mucus grapefruit juice certainly is worth a try.

While there may be no medical evidence to connect grapefruit juice or any of its properties with a thinning of the cervical mucus, women for generations will swear on the remedy. Because of this, it is definitely worth a try. You may have to drink the juice regularly for a couple cycles before you see a change, so hopefully you like grapefruit juice. If you want to increase your chances of success with this remedy you may want to combine your juice with Evening Primrose oil or even Robitussin, which are also known to thin the cervical mucus and create a more fertile environment for the sperm and ultimately fertilization.

Even if it is not the grapefruit juice that works its magic on your cervical mucus, this remedy will help because it will increase your fluid intake. If you have very dry or spongy cervical fluid you need to increase your fluids and grapefruit juice certainly will count! So, whether this generations old home remedy really does work or not is not really up for debate because it does work at least by putting more fluids into your body, and that is important. If you see increased results, than that is even better. Remember that there are many natural remedies that you can try and even combine for proven results. Generations of women and doctors cannot be wrong, so dont hesitate to try this remedy and see what happens. Even if it does not prove to be useful for you, you wont be any worse off than you are now.

I used to drink lots of water, take magic med for about 3 days and also use preseed (sperm friendly lube).

Most of the time the water and megic meds did it but the preseed is excellent to as you can put it in way before you even get down to it. It stays around ll night.

Good luck xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back