What age are babies supposed to have fish and meat?

Gayle30

Reaction score
Posting in here cause I know most of you ladies will be able to point me in the right direction.

At the moment this is hypothetical cause of 2 reasons. Im unsure if Daisy will have meat or fish (I am vegetarian which isnt intendrd to spark a debate) and also shes late in starting weaning due to feeding problems (severe reflux and cmpa).

So can anyone just give me a quick run down of what they should get and when can these foods be introduced?

Tia girlies xxxxx

tapatalking

I'm going from 3 year old memory but I'm pretty sure it's fruit and veg only before 6 months and dairy, meat and fish after that.

Yup, I introduced some meat and fish at 6 months, but she eats vegetarian food a lot because we don't eat a lot of meat ourselves. Totally up to you what you do with DG, but she's old enough to try them if you like xxx

Last edited:
Pretty much everything from 6 months. Pork after a year and you just need to watch the salty meats such as bacon, gammon & sandwich ham
Nothing else that im aware of or heard of

Sent from my spanking new Kindle Fire HD!!!

I was told at 24 weeks (6monthd) introduce white fish and chicken and gradually work up to other meats and fish xx

Freya has been eating salmon all week! she loves it.

Made it with tomatos and carrots, and add a knob of butter to moisten it when I am heating it up. She is scoffing it down.

Any meats and fish from 6 months - we just went straight in with it all

The only thing he's had very little of is bacon and gammon obviously for the salt content

We started with chicken at 6 m, beef at the end of 6 m, egg, fish and lamb at 7 m, I will give pork at 1 year.

What you choose to feed your baby is a personal or family actually decision.
In would be inclined to go with meat and fish simply because she has a cows allergy too and I would have been too much thinking for me what to feed her lol excluding 2 major categories. But that's my lazy bum that tries to balance a baby a house and some studying haha.
We usually have 2 days chicken with vegetables, 2 days beef with vegetables, 2 days fish with vegetables and 1 vegetarian meal. That's me bunch cooking a weekend all those to have enough for 1/2 m usually ha ha.
Good luck whatever is your choice, I am sure DG will be happy with whatever is yummy for her :) (though for Amelie that would probably be chocolate :roll:)

My little man won't have meat until 12 months. Haven't thought about fish tbh.
So far he's only had fruit and veg x

We were 6.5 months and introduced them fine... He loves cod now. And good with meat too!xxx

I made James a steak last week :shock: (just a beef steak but it was from Waitrose)

He can't eat it obviously but he had a good old suck on it. Going to try chicken in the next few days. I don't eat fish but he will be tried with it as well.

xxxxxxx

6 months is the usual, if you do give her meat make sure it's cooked completely through (this includes red meat that you wouldn't necessarily have to cook through for an adult (rare steak etc) it has to be well done) personally, as a strict veggie now, I wouldn't bother to give meat if I had another baby.

Thanks everyone for the replies. She's 8 months so I guess now is the time to try her -IF that's what we decide. Im in 2 minds. Firstly I eat no meat or fish and as silly as this is to some-I have no idea where to start, what to buy and how to cook etc. So I guess I would need to use jars/pouches. Im not opposed to this but I had hoped to be doing all my own cooking for her. I use ellas just now as im moving house this week and its all topsy turvy here. Secondly, I wonder if there is a dietary need for meat and fish? Ive been vegetarian since age 4 so thats 28 years now. I worry that she is already missing out on dairy so maybe to miss out this food group is cruel?

Cosmic-do you mind me asking, fo you give your boys dairy and eggs before 1 years? If she is cmpa is it wise to offer eggs? I say if because she was never blood tested, and only the rash on a few occasions. Now I wonder if it could have been a rash from something else -guess there is only one way to find out. I see het paediatrician tomorrow anyway so I can ask.

Hope we have been giving dairy free chic buttons, just 2 every few days. Her little eyes light up but then if all I was getting was fruit and veg and yucky nutramigen formula I would be the same. Haha xxxx

tapatalking

Thanks everyone for the replies. She's 8 months so I guess now is the time to try her -IF that's what we decide. Im in 2 minds. Firstly I eat no meat or fish and as silly as this is to some-I have no idea where to start, what to buy and how to cook etc. So I guess I would need to use jars/pouches. Im not opposed to this but I had hoped to be doing all my own cooking for her. I use ellas just now as im moving house this week and its all topsy turvy here. Secondly, I wonder if there is a dietary need for meat and fish? Ive been vegetarian since age 4 so thats 28 years now. I worry that she is already missing out on dairy so maybe to miss out this food group is cruel?

Cosmic-do you mind me asking, fo you give your boys dairy and eggs before 1 years? If she is cmpa is it wise to offer eggs? I say if because she was never blood tested, and only the rash on a few occasions. Now I wonder if it could have been a rash from something else -guess there is only one way to find out. I see het paediatrician tomorrow anyway so I can ask.

Hope we have been giving dairy free chic buttons, just 2 every few days. Her little eyes light up but then if all I was getting was fruit and veg and yucky nutramigen formula I would be the same. Haha xxxx

tapatalking

I have a lovely Salmon recipe you could try? its very easy and Freya loves it

1 salmon fillet portion
2 tomato's
2 carrots

slice carrots and steam/cook
Place salmon in a pan and cover with milk. Simmer for 4-5mins or until cooked through. Flake (checking for bones)
pop tomatos in boiling water under skins start to peel off. Remove them, remove the skin, quarter and deseed

bung it all in a bowl and whizz to desired texture! I then divide into little pots and freeze.

i take it out of the freezer in the morning and pop in the fridge. Then just before microwaving I add a knob of butter and blast for 1min.

really quick and easy. x

Ethan started having meat & fish at 6 months xx

I'm veggie too and I've always said I wouldn't have a problem with giving lo meat, but part of me doesn't want to so I sort of know how you feel!

E hasn't tried any yet, but like you that's mostly because I'm not sure what to get and what to do with it! She's just having veg purée still as that is taking her long enough to get to grips with!

I'm guessing easy dinners would be like just adding some chicken or bacon to veg to get her started?
I have a phobia of fish so my oh will have to work that one out!!

Aaron has been having beef, fish, chicken and pork since 6 months

I'm pretty sure he thinks everything tastes of cheese though :lol:

tapatalking

I have a lovely Salmon recipe you could try? its very easy and Freya loves it

1 salmon fillet portion
2 tomato's
2 carrots

slice carrots and steam/cook
Place salmon in a pan and cover with milk. Simmer for 4-5mins or until cooked through. Flake (checking for bones)
pop tomatos in boiling water under skins start to peel off. Remove them, remove the skin, quarter and deseed

bung it all in a bowl and whizz to desired texture! I then divide into little pots and freeze.

i take it out of the freezer in the morning and pop in the fridge. Then just before microwaving I add a knob of butter and blast for 1min.

really quick and easy. x

I made this for Aaron and he loved it - it was like a salmon mousse :lol:

Eva has had meat since 6 months - mainly chicken. Tried salmon but she didn't like it so going to try white fish as it's less "fishy" xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back