what activities do you do with your 6 month old?

x.Lilly.x

Reaction score
Because my son was slow at everything, still isnt fully walking everywhere at over 2 years old and didnt sit by himself until 14 months atleast im paranoid that poppy will be the same and that im not doing enough with her to encourage her to sit up etc.
shes nearly 6 months and can roll front to back all the time, lift her head on her front although she dopesnt really like doing it and windges alot when on her front. reaches for toys, plays with her feet, babbles and holds her head.

She goes in her bumbo for breakfast and dinner and then for about an hourish in the day for 20 mins or so each time with toys on the tray for her to play with.
shell then go on her play matt, have a roll about, play with her feet etc. then in her swing.

if you sit her up and let go she cant dit up at all yet by herself.

what kind of things do you do with your babies at around this age?
we go out most days for most of the day, maybe have 2 days a week inside all day wich is when she gets most of her bumbo time etc.

Sounds like your doing what i did hun.

I would suggest a playnest. We bought one for Drake as he liked sitting up but kept falling over. This was a godsend, i could leave him in there for ages with his toys and know that he was safe! Helped strength up his back too.

Last edited:
Another thing i do is rotate the toys around so he doesn't get bored of the same things.

Last edited:
I rotate toys aswell. I'm not sure what to suggest. Noa wasn't intrested in sitting until he was.6 month, then it took a week n he sat. I wouldn't worry hun, she's only 6 month.

Thanks everyone :)
We have a playnest I just havent put it up, as I dont really know hoe to 'put' them in it, do you sit them up fully or do u lie them down ish against the side?

I think you blow them up when the put the inner part in? Not sure, hubby done it down his friends house with a proper foot pump.

I just sat Drake up, its quite a cosy space so even if she falls to the side she'll be safe.

Last edited:
ahh I get it, I thought you just meant sing it to her laid down or something lol x

Maisie and i play the most ridiculous games !
Today we both hid under a blanket and just laughed at each other Lol !
we play Boo
row row is perfect, singing and stuff is fantastic It wont be long before shes sitting and then even quicker before shes on the move x

We play row row row your boat a lot, definitely think that's helped her seating strength. Also lots of bouncing her on my knee, dancing around, lifting her up in the air, anything that wears me out she loves, and everything has to involve singing or its not half as interesting!

Poppy is at just the same stage as Devon, He has rolled over like 6 times, (Ive only seen three of them!)

We go to baby groups 2-3 mornings and I hold him sitting then to try to strenghen his back, he could sit for about 1 sec and falls backwards, forwards, sidewards! ha He hates tummy time, but I try to practice daily , do you have any local groups that you go to? We do the singing at the end , which he loves, and he loves the older kids over me anyday, they fancinate him.....

He only goes in the bumbo for meals , till my highchair arrives, then we will retire the bumbo I think so he has to learn sitting without it.

I have a basket of toys , and I tip them over , and sit him next to it, so he can grab what he fancies , but I rotate toys too, sounds like we all do!

I use a baby carry alot as he's a stroppy bunny and likes tok be entertained, so we walk, talk and do jobs together, look at my chickens and cat, he loves them.

Sounds like your doing all the same things as me, and development the same for 6 months, so don't worry, as you know each baby is unique you can enjoy a different journey with her

Last edited:
Tummy time play helps strengthen their necks and back and is really essential to help developmentally. My little girl hated it at first but I think it really helps get them used to some play on their tummy's. Best to do it when they are not too tired or just after a feed on a full belly as it will be uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back