welsh baby names...

Terrie

Reaction score
we are naming our baby Ffion Lowri and was just wondering if people would know how to pronounce it by just looking at it written down.

so.. how would you pronounce Ffion Lowri?

our son Rhys (pronounced reece) gets called 'Rice' a lot... lol

I would pronounce it;

Fee-Yon L-Hour-Ree

Am I right?! x

Yep I'd pronounce it the same as dannii too! :D
it's a lovely name. xxx

Both lovely names and being welsh i know how to pronounce them but im wondering the same thing as you. I want to call our baby Seren Nia if its a girl and wonder if she will get lots of silly pronunciations!!

you all were wrong on her middle name :oops:

we are pronouncing it L-owe-ree instead of L-hour-ree

If you are living in Wales and she is growing up there then I am guessing it won't be an issue for most people around her :wink: Just the non Welsh lot :lol:

I'm sure as she gets older she'll be able to correct people who might mispronounce her name. I'm 37 and still have to do that for most people with regards to my surname :roll:

Ally1979 said:
Both lovely names and being welsh i know how to pronounce them but im wondering the same thing as you. I want to call our baby Seren Nia if its a girl and wonder if she will get lots of silly pronunciations!!

i think Seren is pretty straight forward but ive heard Nia pronounced like Nya by non welsh people!

Well im welsh so i can pronounce it fine, but i dunno so much about the english people.. Ffion is a lovely name, i love it..

Ally1979 said:

my eldest is called Seren and we live in the midlands. Never had an issue with the pronounciation though one or two have thought it is Ser - wren iykwim, and my OH's nan thought it was seven.

Fab name and I hope you have a girl so you can use it, though I am biased ;)

I know a girl called Ffion and at first I thought it was pronounced Fi-Fi-On but now I know it's actually Fi-On.

i love them too..and knew how to pronnounce both being welsher than welsh :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back