Weaning-am I bad??

flexilexi394

Reaction score
Sofia is 3 months old. On Easter Sunday me and my OH went to a do at his parents house, and it was awesome! Sofia came and we just sat round chatting.

Sofia drinks a hell of a lot of milk, she empties both boobs ever 2 to 3 hours and has a massive 9oz bottle at night and just can't get enough. She used to sleep through, and even after the 9oz bottle wakes at 3 for another feed.

So the other day, my OHs baby cousin was round and she eats fruit pots 4-6month ones.
Sofia was eyeing her up eating it, so evan gave her a tiny smidge. Well that was the start of the most amazingly excited baby I've ever seen, Sofia kept opening her mouth, so evan just gave her tiny bits on his finger. She ended up having quite a lot of it. And really enjoyed it! And Lo and behold, slept til 6am from 7pm that night.

Would it be really bad if I started giving her baby rice just before bath and bed time as well as her bottle? I thought as she ate fruit pot 2 days ago and has had 2 dirty nappies yest and one this morning, is it going to be ok? She's one of these hungry babies that drinks so much and I just think she may be happy to eat baby rice.

Would love advice! Has anyone got or had a similar situation? X

If it was me I probably would give her a little like you say and see how she goes. My hubby was apparently an incredibly hungry baby and was weaned at 6-8 weeks because he was just a nightmare! The doctor actually advised it as he was draining 10oz bottles and then going onto have another oz or two at every feed! She sounds like a hungry baby to me :)

I can't really give you personal advice because Lizzie seems to be fine on just milk at the mo so I'm hanging on for as long as I can!
However, I'd say it does sound like Sofia is a hungry baby and so long as her nappies look digested ok then i can't see any harm in giving her baby rice or porridge mixed up with breastmilk :)

It wouldn't be bad no, but i personally would try to wait until shes at least 4 months and just put up with the 3am feed for now. Maybe ask your HV too?

I agree..my baby was also feeding every 2 hours and I started him lil bit on fruits at 4 months but he couldnt digest them..so I am back to feeding him more milk until he is 6 months..

It is said that you shouldn't wean until 17 weeks but only your doc/hv can give you the best advice. It certainly cannot be a growth spurt if she has always been like this.

We are just weaning Alex now with baby rice and he likes it but he likes rusks sooooooo much I give him twice a day now as well as normal milk feeds.

1 teaspoon of baby rice with 2 dessert spoons of baby milk and he polishes that off but can rarely do any more and half a rusk with 1-2oz of baby milk I was told by HV to delay weaning but he gives us evils whenever me and hubby are eating!!

Do what you feel is right!! H was 4 1/2 months before i gave him baby rice - he had a cold before so wanted to make sure he was 100% before i started weaning him!!

but then again h has always fed every 3-4 hrs before this poiNt where it turned to 2-3HRS OR TWO BOTTLES AT ONE HIT!!

Last edited:
i weaned madison early... she defo needed it... and my gp said it was fine ... and if you start never start before bed, try her first time at breakie or lunch so u can see if shes digesting it ok :) i dont think it wud be bad, she sounds like she wants it and is ready xxx

I had a similar problem with Emily but it passed. My GP (who I get on really well with) told me to put her in hungry baby milk before trying to introduce "food" as such because her body wouldn't be 100% ready to digest food. I didn't do the hungry baby milk though, I persevered with night feeds and it only lasted a few weeks.

Do what you thinks best hun x

I agree, you're not bad hon, go with your instinct. if you think she needs it then go for it, you could always do a bit and stop anyway if you think she didn;t need it?. x

One of my boys is a very hungry big baby and when the H.V came to visit us when they were 15 weeks she weighed them both, 18 and 15 pounds at the time. She said that they shouldn't be weaned before 14 weeks! She basically said that she thought the big man was ready for weaning i.e he was holding his head well discontented between feeds, not going as long and waking in the night to go and ahead and do it. Funnily enough I tried him and he was terrible and clearly not ready, he just pushed it all back out again with his tongue so we stoppped. If you as the mum feels she's ready you are the best judge :dance:

My advice would be that you know your baby better than anyone and you therefore know better than anyone what's best for her. It certainly sounds like she wants the food from what you've described and personally I don't see anything wrong with giving a bit of baby rice with breast milk in the evenings. I did that with my Lo to help her sleep better and it world although she was about 4 months. Might be worth double checking with hv but they often give conflicting advice anyway! Good luck!

As the other girls have said really, go with what you believe. It might be better to give her some baby rice in the mornings or midday though, as has been said, just to make sure its digester nicely before bedtime. Dont worry about her waking in the night or having big feeds. Some babies that start to sleep through early then start to wake later in life, so it might just be that and sometimes Paige was having up to 10oz a feed, it was mental lol. I started weaning her very slowly at 17 weeks.

hey guys! thanks for your replies. i spoke to my gp and he said go for it! which i was surprised at, but he said with the feeding and not sleeping so well in the night as she has slept through, try it and see so i did!

basically, i did her first bunch last night, and she couldnt get enough of it! once she finished what she could handle i took her up for her bath at about half 6, then gave her an 8oz bottle which she drained dry, then GUESS WHAT?!?! slept for 12 whole hours, had a feed then slept again til 10am!! i was amazed! and today shes so content! i think for us personally, its the best way. she also now has a bottle of hungry baby before bed instead of breast milk as i simply cant get that amount any more. shes breastfed during the day though! i love how its working out, as i can still breastfeed and bottlefeed without causeing any problems, she is very healthy and well, and happy!

so thanks for all your advice guys! i didnt think id be giving her this sort of thing so early, but technically im not "weaning" her as im only gonna do this until she shows signs of needing more food. im hoping she holds out til shes 4 or 5 months old for the rest of the weaning to kick in! its great giving her baby rice, she properly sucks the spoon and gets stressy til the next mouth ful! its very cute :) ill get pictures tonight x

I'm really pleased its working for you :) its great when they love their food! Looking forward to seeing pictures :)

im p[leased for you, it was also gp who recommended me but i think after their years of experience theyve seen recommendations change and prob understand more than anyone that every baby is different!! haha and as for waiting two months to wean bubs might have other ideas lol keep us updated with cute pics tho!! hehe xx

it is going well still! she slept through 12 hours again last night. fab stuff! and she loves eating it! i am literally going to stick to baby rice for now, and not try anything else until shes hungrier and older x

That's fab, sounds like she taken well to the baby rice. Sometimes they just need a little extra, all babies are different. She seems as though shes loving her grub :)

hiya ladies

Not been on here for a while but came on to post the sam question!! Jack's a few days younger than Sofia but I thought he may be ready for a bit of food too. Have started him with the Aptamil porridge which I have mixed one teaspoon with three teaspoons of his milk, will let you know how he is with it as we only gave it this afternoon. Fingers crossed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back