weaning advice needed!told to wean but not sure...

Suzie and Faith

Reaction score
Hello!
Our doc told us to wean Fi now as she is on soya milk and apparently it's not nutritious enough and that she needs other stuff. I thought, right, fine...

We bought some baby rice which she LOVES. She empties the bowl every time! She also likes to feed herself! She takes the spoon and puts it in her mouth (though sometimes she gets overexcited and it flings at me!).

She was on the baby rice once a day for a week. Then we tried carrot pureed. She did not like it one bit! She kept spitting it out. We then did baby rice for a couple of days again. Then we tried sweet potato. She didn't like it, gagged and threw up that and everything else in her tummy - which wasn't good as she has only been sick about 2 times since she was born!.

We then went back to baby rice. Then we put a teeny (less than a teaspoon) of banana in her baby rice. You couldn't really even tell it was there but it started her gagging again! We then got a new bowl and gave her just baby rice and she was fine! It's just like she doesn't want any other taste!!

We have tried her with soya fruit yoghurt and she quite liked that, she had about 4-5 spoons of that!

So I am SO confused now! She gets all excited when she gets put in her bumbo in a bib with the tray and then she see the bowl and starts giggling! So she def likes her food but only baby rice it seems!

I am a bit worried as I was told to introduce other foods as quick as poss but i don't want to! I think baby rice is enough for her really! But equally i don't want her to be lacking in vitamins or anything.

She is 5 months in 11 days time.

I feel like a bad mummy as I wanted to do BLW at 6 months and I wanted to wait and I want her to be ok. I don't know what to do :(

HELP

Just keep doing as you are. Keep trying little bits but don't push her. Maybe try something almost like baby rice like porridge, or some kind of cereal.
Other than that i don't know what to suggest.

You can try other baby cereals, as long as they are gluten free. I would suggest also that you try fruit purees apropriate from four months. I think they call them stage one jars in Britain. Even if you intend to do only home cooking, some babies start better on commercial foods cos the flavours are less intense (more bland, if you want). What about mashed potato, with a little of her milk? If it is very creamy in texture she might enjoy that. Some babies like cooked apple puree...

Whatever you do, as the other Lisa said, dont push it, just keep offering alternatives, eventually she will be interested.

Hope to have helped :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Lisa

If your worried could you not get some vitamin drops for her? :hug:

Keep trying new things - it can take something stupid like 10 tries before a baby likes something. She's liking the rice as its the same taste as her milk.

Try baby porridge too - Finlay adores HIPP organic banana.

Personally I'd stick to veg first then move onto fruit/sweet things. I find the fruit purees can be really runny and Finlay diesn't seem to like runny. Veg purees are more solid. Make the purees yourself - its fun :D

Try a flavour at least 5 times before you give up on it.... most babies don't like different flavours... so they need to get used to it. Also add her milk to any puree you give her... as its a flavour she will recognise... use the rice as a thickener.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Thanks guys. I will keep trying different things. It was the ebing sick that worried me as she really isn't a sicky baby! I might try butternut squash next week, with milk and baby rice and see what happens!

definatly keep at it hun tbh here isnt many jars about that she will be able to eat as they contain milk,
i added a tiny bit of milk to al thomas' meals at first the only thing he wont eat is kiwi hes not fussy now :d
xx

I have found that EVEYTHING has milk in it :lol:

except alot of the organic jars... Keep going, she should like fruit purees... thats what I gave corey 1st before introducing anything savory!

Baby rice really has nothing nutritional in it really, its just a filler. Mix puree in with it, but try and keep it the same consistancy as you usually give Faith.

I cant really help more as my pigglet will eat anything, lumps and all, gums at food then swallows, looks like hes chewing :lol:

It takes anywhere from 10 to 20 spoons of a new food for a baby to decide if it likes it or not. Luke hated banana the first few times and doesn't mind it now. You just need to keep plugging away. We still struggle with meats. He won't eat bolognese or anything like that at the moment but we know he will eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back