Waters not breaking on their own

Emmam1982

Reaction score
I'm intrigued as to whether it's pregnancy related a s to why waters sometimes don't break spontaneously or if it's due to the mother?
I'm on baby number 5 and waters have never broken on their own, both my sisters have 5 kids between them and their waters have never broken on their own either (my niece was born in her waters).
Has anyone else got any experience of them breaking/not breaking?

I'm a bit curious about this! I stopped dilating at 7cm and needed the hormone drip but before trying that, I had my waters artificially broken. Now I'm wondering if it's a first baby type thing, where my body just had no clue how to break them? I don't know! Xxx

My 1st I had my waters broken as was induced. 2nd time I had a sweep and my waters went 2 days later. But they hadn't fully gone a d still had to have them broken ! Was nothing like what you see on the tv when they have a full on waterfall hah x

My waters broke at home with both of mine. At similar times too. Hoping for the same this time too!
x

Mine didn't break on their own. I was 9cm dilated and they were broken for me

I was an absolute gusher!! :D

Mine went on just my second proper contraction, all over our flat and then in the car and then all over the labour ward (I arrived 10cms dilated!).... then my son arrived not long afterwards.... all happened very quickly.

Last edited:
My didn't break until I was 8 cm. I thought I had strong Brackton hicks prior to that - how wrong was I when I got to the hospital and they brought within 10 mins of being there

Mine broke at 5cm dilated.

My mum all her waters went theirself ...

Could be a science behind it. Intriguing.

xxxx

Mine broke on their own, but not till I was 7cm.

My mums had 4 babies 2 induced and had waters broken on those, then 2 natural labours which both went on their own xx

Both times my waters broke by themselves at home before I was even having contractions. I read that it's quite unusual for it to happen like that so was surprised it went the same way with both my girls!

That was like my wee brother. I was 8 when my mum had me and my mum just got up and a big gush came out. Me and my younger brother were saying my mum peed here and here and here :lol: she didnt know she was in labour as such then came the pain later :lol:

xxxx

Waters are better intact for as long as possible.
I was induced with the pessary but even then both times my waters only went minutes before the babies were born.

I went to an antenatal class tonight and the midwife was saying they prefer your membranes (waters) to stay intact as long as possible.
First, it prevents infection (for the baby) as it's a sterile environment, second, it provides cushioning from the contractions so baby is less like to get stressed/distressed in labour compared to if the waters go early on (because every time you get a contraction it 'squeezes' the baby. If the waters are intact the baby doesn't feel it like it does if they've already gone).

I don't think it's a bad thing that yours don't break early or on their own, it's actually seen as more desirable and babies born in the caul (with waters intact) are said to be lucky :D

With both my girls, only my hind waters broke and both times my fore waters had to be broken to get labour going - weird! x

my waters broke at home in bed at 5:30am, i stood up and it gushed out, then continued to leak out for a few hours, I had her the next day at 2:39pm! She was fine and luckily no infection x

I swear with Sofia I had the tiniest ever trickle of water at home, saw the midwife who said no way had my waters broken, I had her 3 days later and there were no waters to be seen anywhere, so I am guessing that trickle was all of my waters. Was so wierd

When my son was born there was a small trickle right before contractions started. Go to hospital, and they thought waters had gone too. But while he was born there was a massive gush (guessing hind waters) and he shot out! The poor student midwife got covered!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back