Waters breaking - confused

Rachel1509

Reaction score
I was under the impression that if your waters broke, you basically had no option but to give birth as soon as possible due to infection etc. However, someone I know is saying her waters broke 3 weeks ago but the hospital have let her go and are trying to get her to 36 weeks then induce her. (she's only just began her 34th week). I've never heard of this happening before, is it safe?

When my waters broke I was allowed to wait a maximum of 48hr before I was induced??

Im not sure but I think that if your waters are leaking slowly they let you carry on?? not sure hun xx

When my waters broke I was allowed to wait a maximum of 48hr before I was induced??

Im not sure but I think that if your waters are leaking slowly they let you carry on?? not sure hun xx

She can't be leaking it slowly, in fact by sounds of it she didn't even notice it happened :S so it's confused me (as this is my first pregnancy and haven't experienced it yet).
Her baby has been small and not growing much for weeks, so she's been for extra scans and checks recently, and apparently thats when someone has told her her waters broke weeks ago, yet she didn't know? :oooo:

Last edited:
Sounds a bit odd to me lol xx

I read on here or another forum some lady whos waters had broken early and she still had some remaining but not alot but because she was so early i'e in her 20 something weeks they were trying to make her get further and the baby survived. Its a miracle what babies can do x

I,ve not heard of that either. Maybe it was just the fore/hind waters that went, not the main one. I should imagine that if her waters have really gone then they,d at least monitor her closely for any sign of infection. Though I would have thought they,d try and get the baby out.

Ive heard of this, it happened to my friends sis - she was kept in cos hers broke really really early - like 24 ish weeks - her little girl arrived about 2-3weeks later.

I have heard - that depending on which waters break, and how - your body can replenish the water - so if she's not fully term they're maybe counting on that happening. I would assume she's been told to be on bed rest??

xxx

Ive heard of this, it happened to my friends sis - she was kept in cos hers broke really really early - like 24 ish weeks - her little girl arrived about 2-3weeks later.

I have heard - that depending on which waters break, and how - your body can replenish the water - so if she's not fully term they're maybe counting on that happening. I would assume she's been told to be on bed rest??

xxx

I'm not entirely sure. She's been back to hospital today and they've told her she's got an infection. They've redone blood tests and if it shows the infection is still there then they're going to consider inducing her before 36 weeks (she's now 34). From other stuff she's told me, sounds like they're either misinforming her, or have no clue what they're on about half the time!

Thanks to everyone who replied :)

Last edited:
If your waters break and your cervix is open then you need to be in labour within a certain amount of time otherwise there is a risk of infection to the baby through the open cervix.

My waters went at 38+5 and I had a few contractions, because my cervix was open the delivery suite kept me in, after contractions subsided they had to induced me 18 hours after my waters went to minimise infection risk to my LO.

I believe that if your waters go and cervix is closed still they will send you home again til labour kicks in.

There are 2 sets of waters also so not sure if it makes a difference which one goes and cervix is closed lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back