Water birth

hello1231

Reaction score
Helloo ladies just out of curiousity any of use having a water birth ? Really can't make my mind up !

If we end up in hospital (currently opting for home birth but I may change my mind at the last minute!), then I hope to have a water birth. If we could afford it I would have rented one for home, but they're £100+!

oh wow thts dear! I am really hoping to have a water birth

I'm hoping to have a water birth too, so looking forward to it if I can!!

Very expensive. It's just not a cost we could justify! But, if we end up having a hospital birth (natural, not induced as water births are not allowed for induced births), then I'd love to go for a water birth. Everything I've read about them has been super positive!

I've seen the pool at the hospital and it's massive, could do laps in it haha, it's also in a splat shape not round! I got told that water birth babies are really chilled out too and sleepy babies, which is my husband and I for the most part hehe although I do intend on never putting the baby down haha x

Tri hopping hope you don't mind...altho I'm 27 weeks on Sunday so shall be joining you ladies here anyway in Tri 3.
Really really hoping for a water birth..actually really nervous they'll tell me I won't be able to for some reason. it's all I've ever wanted/planned for, I've heard wonderful things.
I'd say definitely go for one if you have the opportunity :) hoping to put in my preferences on the hospital tour and consultation we're going to have! fingers crossed Xx

I actually ended up having a water birth after having been induced. I was told that I wouldn't be allowed and was really disappointed. However, my induction was so straightforward with no drip or pain relief that I got the pool for the last 30 minutes which was amazing. If I had been in the water for longer though I don't think it'd would've be so effective. xx

I tried to have a water birth!! I laboured in the pool for a gruelling 7 hours until my baby decided he wasn't coming out easily so I had to get out. It was amazing and I'd highly recommend it. I had the pool and paracetamol as I felt so relaxed I didn't want anything else. Good luck!!

I would recommend it!

I have had 3 babies, one was with epidural and induced, one was a water birth and last one would have been a water birth but she was born 30 mins after getting to hospital so no time to run the pool, lol.

Out of all the births I really liked the water one, we had low lighting, music playing and the midwives only verbally guided me through, did a few doppler checks but nothing else - and I just pushed when I felt I needed to and it was wonderful. My baby swam up to the surface as she came out and the midwife caught her and put her on my chest! amazing really.

You can get birth pools for a lot less than £100 I think

Ask your midwife, if you're NHS some areas will drop off a birth pool in with your home birth kit. If not you can get them cheaper online I'm sure. I've seen them on Ebay for £10 lol, then you'd just need a liner.

It might be worth asking your midwife or asking a local doula.

I know my friend is a doula and she has a birth pool that she lets her clients use for free (or rather, included in her doula fee) but local doulas may know the cheapest places to hire or buy a birth pool & liner.

I was strongly considering it, however I keep changing my mind.

I think I might just use my bath to labour in but birth on or near my bed (if at home)

My thinking was that although waterbirth looks lovely and calm and relaxing, I don't want to be distracted afterwards having to get out & dry etc. I'd rather birth when dry so I can get straight into bed with the baby and be undisturbed for the first few hours rather than feeling the need to dry off etc.

I don't know, maybe I'll change my mind again before the birth, but at the moment I'm leaning more towards having a dry birth lol.

I'm Defo trying for a water birth this time. Had strep b with dd1 and was gutted when I couldn't go to the beautiful new delivery suite so fingers crossed for this time. The only thing that puts me off is the water after when baby and all the other gunk comes
Out? Can they drain it right away?

I'm having a water birth hopefully. I've heard it is really good for pain relief and relaxation. Fingers crossed the room is free!! At our hospital the midwife uses a little net to fish things out....

I have to say that the pool looked like a blood bath by the end! It was still sitting there untouched when we left the room - the midwives left us to have time together with baby - and I glanced in as we were leaving. But hey ho, at least I didn't have to clean it!! xx

I laboured in the pool for a few hours and it wasn't the lovely experience I hoped it would be! The water was nice but I couldn't get comfy in it, the bottom was hard and I spent most of my time on my knees gripping the sides during contractions as it was too painful in a sitting position. Got fed up and got out in the end!
Sorry to spoil anyone's view of water births but just thought I'd put the flip side out there!

Last edited:
I am planning a home hypnobirth + waterbirth ... hopefully it will work out for us on the day

I had a water birth with my first baby, it wasnt planned, it was just in my room at the birth centre. When it was time for me to push they asked if i wanted to try it so i thought why not! It was really relaxing, i was like floating in it, i was so tired after 30 hours i kept nearly nodding off and myhusband had to keep pulling me up to stop me going under. The only thing i would say is because i was in the water the midwives suggested that i did not have the injection for the placenta, to keep everything 'natural', big mistake! It was all downhill from here for me. But this time around i would deff go in the pool again, id just get out straight afterwards and have the injection!

oh I was planning to get the injection to for placenta good job u told me
this I will hopefully ask to have it done too once I come out of it if all
goes well

I'm hoping for a water birth too- been given the ok as I have to have antibiotics cos of DS1 having group b strep but they said as long as I keep the cannular dry it will be fine (and if I don't they can change it!!) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back