Water birth anyone?

JennyG

Reaction score
Has anyone had a waterbirth? I've seeen them on TV and the labouring moms always seem so calm and peaceful. I've heard they are less painful.

I think only the hospitals in the larger cities are set up for them here in Canada. I've heard that the States have lots of "birthing centres" but then their medical care is private where ours is free....which means less options :0(

ooo i'm not sure hun. i've read numourous times that water births are supposed to be less painful! so that's a plus :) i've thought about one but as it's my first child though i should just stick with a hospital birth! why don't you ask your midwife/doctor how you could plan a water birth, how you'd go about it etc.? i know that here in the uk we'd ask our midwife or hospital that we've chosen to give birth at about it.. i think! xxxx

I would love a water birth, Im going to ask my consultant if its an option for me - having a VBAC this time around you see :)

This is my first baby so obviously havn't had a water birth before but Im really hoping for one in a birth center. Your right, they always seem much more relaxed, and you can splash about lol. Deffinatly something to look into :)

Im now going to push for one! At the very least labour in a bath of water! :)

I really wanted a water birth with Harrison but when I was in labour I kept getting in the bath hoping it would help (I love baths anytime) and couln't stand it when I was contracting! I'd give it a go again but you just never know until you're in that situation what you'd like.... xx

I really hope you get the water birth Rosies Mummy, like you said you can always just labour in the tub for a bit if you cant have a water birth!

Yes, I know what I want to try its like karen said, you dont know until you get to that point really. Im all for going with the flow unless it involves a C-section again - think I would cry my eyes out if I had to have another :cry:

I bet a water birth would help with your VBACK because you labour in a more upright position rather than on your back in a bed. Gravity you know :)

I usually labour in a recliner at the hospital because I'm most comfortable that way. But I'm sure ithat my labours progress quickly because of the position.

I tried a shower with one of my children but I was too far into my labour and couldn't stand up because it was too intense.

Hey JennyG, I had a water birth with my first and it was a fantastic experience. I had an extremely quick labour and birth and only just made it into the pool, but having said that, because it was so quick I didnt have any other pain relief and the water really did help! I would so love a water birth this time around, but I now live in Malta and I dont have that option- I am petrified of a 'land birth' now!!!

I haven't had a water birth but i laboured in the hospitals huge bath and it did help to relax me and ease the pain xx

Hey JennyG, I had a water birth with my first and it was a fantastic experience. I had an extremely quick labour and birth and only just made it into the pool, but having said that, because it was so quick I didnt have any other pain relief and the water really did help! I would so love a water birth this time around, but I now live in Malta and I dont have that option- I am petrified of a 'land birth' now!!!

Don't be scared. I'm sure the water was really nice but on the other hand, I've never had one and I managed three babies without any pain meds. You will do just fine! Remember, we are women, hear us roar :)

On a side note, my stepfather's family was from Malta. I've never been, but I've heard it's lovely.

Don't be scared. I'm sure the water was really nice but on the other hand, I've never had one and I managed three babies without any pain meds. You will do just fine! Remember, we are women, hear us roar :)

:yay: Too right!!

I haven't had a water birth but am planning on having one for my first baby due in August (birthing centre at the hospital).

A friend of a friend gave birth in a birthing pool recently and said she was in a lot of pain beforehand but as soon as she got in the water, felt much more relaxed and happy and baby came less than 2 hours later!

Last edited:
hey i had a look at the hospital finally and the birthing pool - it's massive! anyone can use it but it depends if it's being used by someone else etc. so bear it in mind if you're recieving free healthcare! the head MW had really good words for it and is highly recommended! so i think i may use it as i don't want an epidural! :( xxx

I REALLY want one. The hospital I was at before we moved had 6 birthing pools and really encourage the use of them. Now that Ive moved they only have 1 in the hospital!! Ive really set my heart on having a water birth and Ill be gutted if I cant try it :(

I laboured a short time in a birthing pool at hospital but got out as it was so warm! I really wish I'd persevered as I did love being in the water but was trying the gas and air at same time which made me sick and I put that down to the water! I now know it wasn't the water and will be hopefully getting a birthing pool for home birth this time round x

The one way to guarantee you have use of a pool is to consider home birth. I loved using the pool in my 2nd labour and was lucky that it became available during the course of my labour. The effect is has on the contractions is incredible - so relaxing which is exactly whats needed. I wanted to make sure I had a pool to use and so this was another reason for opting to birth at home :)

i would opt for a home birth but because it's my first child and i don't know much of my family history i'd like to be in hospital just incase anything went wrong as if i was at home i wouldn't have the whole hospital to rely on! lol. deffo going to opt for a home birth if i have another child though! after reading your birth story Mervs Mum sounds exactly like what i want.. to be in my home environment, as that's my comfort zone xxx

I think Im going to need a lot of reassurance to stay calm when Im in labour. because I dont know what it will feel like im worried that if something was going wrong I wouldnt know. Make sense? I dunno I wierdly feel reassured by being in hospital even though Im pretty much an intervention cynic! Maybe Im just a nutjob!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back