Birthing balls

Jodles

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've heard about birthing balls and their use in labour, but yesterday I was speaking to a friend who had a baby last year, and she told me that she was encouraged by her midwife to get one as soon as possible, and spend as much time sitting on it as she could. Apparently we should try and use them for watching TV rather than slouching on the sofa, as it encourages the baby to get into a good birthing position at an early stage, and spending a lot of time lying on the sofa can encourage a back to back labour.

Has anyone else heard this? Should I be getting one? (I'm 23 weeks.) And also, does it have to be an expensive "birthing" ball, or would an ordinary gym ball do the trick (for £4.99!).

THANK YOU!!!

Jo xx

I think they can be helpful to help move your baby round if it's in a bad position too... well not bad, but awkward you know like back to back.

I had one and sat on it instead of my computer chair. Can't say it really did a lot for me, but Ryan was born with no problems so who knows maybe it actually did.

A lot of people use them in labour to ease their back pain by leaning on it and stuff, but I just went to hospital and had a bath, so I'm not the best one to ask really :D

edit- Gym ball exactly the same, but if they put birthing in front of it they think they can charge more :D there are different sizes too though so if you are particularly small or tall then the medium one may not help you. I'm 5'3 and used a medium one with no problem.

I've got one... and I've had it since I was 20+ weeks or something... I used it to make lil miss come out of a back to back position and help with back ache.. Its really comfortable. I cannot express how great it has been to have one this time round.

As for prompting labour... :roll: Pssff... I've been living on the stupid ball the past few days.... and do I have a baby in my arms... :roll:

Oh and don't expect to "own" the ball... the rest of the family seem to love it too.. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: and you have to fight them off..

I just got a cheapish one of ebay.. think I must have paid about 8€ including shipping. Don't bother with getting an expensive "birthing" ball.. just get a plain old gym ball.. :)

plus it would be good for after the birth as sitting on one helps to strengthen your tummy muscles as you are havingto hold yourself up on it

I got a cheap gym ball from tesco and have not sat on the sofa for about 4 months- much to OH delight :roll:

LO has always been in the correct position so that is great but it has not helped to evict her quickly....

I have not had any trouble with sore back etc so it might well have helped with that too

melissa was breech up til 36 weeks i was lookin at c-section which frightened me 2 death amongst other things i was advised 2 bounce on a birth ball (i just got a 4.99 gym ball) with my knees below my hips level, which i did and it mustve helped she turned for me :cheer:

At the antenatal class with the physiotherapist she recommended them. She said gym balls are just the same. When sitting on it your hips should be slightly higher than your knees.
The one I've got is too small - my knees are slightly higher than my hips. You can control how much you fill them so I would recommend getting a larger one as you could put less air in, rather than having to get 2 like me :doh:

Ive got a gym ball to sit on to help with SPD, was told by the physiotheripist that it would help encourage baby into the right position for the birth also. Plus i plan on using it after to get back into shape aswell.

I should have said, I find it fun to sit on :D I bounce up and down! It's like a space hopper but because you don't have handles you can't go anywhere (I know, I tried and fell off :oops: :rotfl: )

In 3rd Tri I used to sit on mine for at least an hour a night, it definitely helps with posture and takes any pressure away from pelvic joints, for most women. It is said to be very beneficial for helping baby get into the correct birthing position, Isaac wasn't so maybe not true in every case. I found mine very relaxing and it helped in the early stages of labour too, give it a try :)

Thanks everyone - I'm definitely going to get one!
xxx

My mum gave me her old gym ball almost 2 years ago cos she didn't use it (I only used it once, very boring form of exercise).
I'll have to dig it out, it will be good to get some use out of it :D

I got a normal gym ball from Argos, it was £4.99 I think.

I sit on mine for half an hour every night, usually when I start getting uncomfy on the sofa. It helps with my backache and the full feeling I get in my chest!

I'd recommend getting one :D

ive just bought one from aldi as they are on special offer, think it was £3.99

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back