Birthing Centres

Nicky_Jones

Reaction score
I am starting to really stress out about whether or not I am going to being to have the homebirth I have planned due to the limited number of midwifes covering Berkshire. All the independant midwifes I could find prices go from £2750 upwards. That is a complete package (ie all the antenatal and postnatal care which TBH I am not interested in), which we can't possibly afford. I just want to be sure that if there is no medical reason not to, that I have our baby at home.

Failing that I am sure I have heard that there are birthing centres which aren't hospitals but I had a search on the internet and through the yellow pages and couldn't find any mention of them.

Are there birthing centres around which I could goto if there are not enough midwifes? Where can I find a list of them to find out which are closest to where we life (Wokingham, Berkshire)?

Thanks

Thats a real shame, I though health authorities were really keen to have a high homebirth rate. I really hope you get some positive feedback.

They are all in favour of it, but at the 36 week check up one of the reason she said I may not get it (the others were medical reasons which I am happy with), was not enough midwifes. They want 2 per homebirth (surely 1 is enough?) and there are only 4 on call for Berskhire. Not only that they could end up getting called onto the ward if there are staff shortages. Royal Berkshire (Reading hospital) has ended having the maternity ward closed quite a few times recently due to not enough staff / too busy. :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back