washing new clothes?

trixipaws

Reaction score
i was with my boyfs brothers wife today and she was saying u need to wash brand new baby clothes because at the factory they could get little mites on them?! :shock: :shock: :shock:

is this necessary do u think? i havent washed any of my baby clothes :?

i'd wash then anyway...

people have been putting they hands on them in the shops, and they have been in bags for a while waiting to get into draws in my house anyway

but yeh i'll wash them hun

:hug:

Never heard of mites trixipaws :think: I think most mums want to wash new clothes so they feel soft and smell fresh, all clean smelling for LO :) The hard bit is when to wash them all, or just keep a few items fresh for in case of an early arrival :D

I washed everything for Maddie, but unfortunately DH had put a yellow duster in the washing machine 'ready for the next load' and it dyed everything streaky yellow - looked like someone had wee'd on everthing :oops: Bless him - I did tell him we tend to hand wash the dusters but I know he was being helpful so I didn't have the heart to say any more about it!!

Really though I just washed them to make them nice and soft as they felt a bit starchy being brand new.

LBxx

yeah i washed all jaydes clothes bef0re she was born so they were nice smelling and soft :D :D :D :D

i washed nathans cos of people pawing them in shops. it was really exciting washing them :D

ooooo and the comfort pure i overdosed on that stuff :D

I have washed everything we have bought so far (99.99% of it brand new from places like Next etc). I just wanted them to smell fresh, know they were completely clean and so forth. I doubt highly that it's because of mites, if that were true surely there would be some type of known warning?? More like dirt, people handling them, machines etc.

Also i think with the pre-washing them allows you to see just how much shrinkage you get with baby clothes, the newborn sleepsuits i bought looked massive until i washed them.

Ive washed most of the things i have bought (and had bought for me) Ive also been given a lot of things by my sister and i washed them too because shes a smoker :evil:

i read in a mag the other day that your best to wash them before your LO wears them, i cant really remember doing that before, but spent the wknd washing this LO's clothes and they do smell gorgeous and seem softer.

the only other thing is, i bought a few pink things cos they said we were havin a girl, well what happens if we dont have a girl and i needed to take these clothes back? damn bit late to wonder now lol.

I didn't wash any of Eloise's and still don't :shock: :shock:

I've got to admit, I'm a bit of a naughty mum like that!!
I let her crawl around the garden unsupervised, and I know she likes to sit in the mud - but I am a supporter of the idea that kids need to come into contact with dirty things to build up a healthy immune system.
Most of Eloises clothes came sealed so I wasn't worried. I had better things to do at the time that wash clothes (was working up until 2 weeks before due date and was doing tonnes of overtime etc and they were understaffed. When I look back, they used the hell out of me and health and safety wise, they had no right!)
I don't wash them now, purely out of laziness I'm afraid. I do wash her dirty clothes though!!

I do agree to an extent that kids should play in the dirt to get 'immune' but under supervision, as OH caught samonella(sp) from playing by a drain when he was barely 2.
I always wash Jaycees clothes before she wears them, as i do mine, coz they feel better and i just dont feel 'clean' in them if u know what i mean? They've been sat out everywhere in boxes, warehouses etc, and the journey to the store is a long one, and anything can get on them. Ive worn clothes unwashed from the store before and they were itchy and really put me off not washing them.
You should always wash newborn clothes before u put them on tho. You wouldnt give ur newborn a dummy from a store shelf without washing it would you? They suck and chew on clothes too.

But thats just my opinion :)

Another suggestion has always been not to wash them, as if you're LO is born bigger than the clothes you have for him, you cannot return them once they've been unpacked and washed etc, or if there's a surprise boy or girl, instead of what was said at your scan, sometimes they are wrong, like Lyn_no3 mentioned in an earlier post :lol:

That's if you're not addicted to the smell of washing powder and conditioners, then it may not be as easy to only wash a few :lol:

Actually i'm looking forward to having a wash day when i leave work gonna do all the clothes and of course the bedding, am i sad or what or maybe just a touch of OCD :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back