SERIOUS WARNING - WASHING BABY'S CLOTHES

littlebump

Reaction score
I thought it was finally time to wash the little poppet's first wardrobe - get rid of the starch/new clothes smell etc. Of course not knowing what I'm having, pretty much everything is in white.

Anyway, in the wash it goes nice and white. Out it comes nice and....YELLOW-ISH :oops:. Hubbie had put a yellow duster in the washing machine thinking it would be good to give it a wash with the next load.

Oh well - it could be worse - at least yellow is a semi-neutral colour.

SO - my warning to you is, when you are 38 weeks pregnant and knackered from weeks of only getting 3-4 hours sleep a night, CHECK THE WASHING MACHINE FOR BRIGHT YELLOW DUSTERS before you decide to wash baby's clothes....!

LBxx

Aw no hun!!
I hate it when things like that happen! Do they look ok?
Never mind - alot of baby clothes are lemon anyway :D and i'm sure you'll get plenty of white pressies to replace them! xx

Hee hee - well they are a bit streaky, but I figure the baby will grow out of them so quickly that I'm not going to worry about it - plus as you say, once baby's born people will be buying normal clothes - probably in either pink or blue!!

You've got to laugh!!

It's worth trying some sort of whitening agent/stain remover though! It might help wash some of the yellow out - i would give it a go! I washed DH's football shirts and a few of them went really dingy grey colours but i have used things on them and they have brightened up loads!

Let me know if it works (if you try it that is) :D

Awwwww LB. gutted! bet you were so p****ed off!
thanks for the warning, i never check washer....i always find old tissues in pockets etc!!!

Oh LB how annoying!!

Just though I'd remind you to make sure that anything you use to whiten them is ok for newborn skin.

I know someone who put stain remover on one of her t-shirts and put it in with her newborns clothes and he ended up at the doctors with a lumpy rash!!

Good Luck xxx

Hi littlebump.

I don't know if you guys have this is in the UK but here in the states we have something that looks like a dryer sheet you can put in the wash to remove any unwanted color from whites due to something being in the wash that ran. I want to say downy makes it but I could be wrong. Something you may wanna check into. :wink:

xoxo Ree

Thanks Bubbleone & Ree! I don't think I've heard of Downy, but I'm going into town shortly so I'll have a look in Boots. Whatever I use, I think I'll rewash them just to make sure nothing irritates little one's skin!

LBxx

Good Luck!! Let us know how it comes out!

xoxo Ree

Littlebump

I bet that stressed you out for a bit - how annoying? Have you managed to do anything with them?

Saw on an earlier post that you had now finished work! I bet its great! Use this time to chill out though!!!!!! and get loads of sleep in!

Cant wait to see your posting on the 'New arrivals' topic :lol:

L x

Thanks Folks!!

I tried washing them again with a little 'vanish' - no joy, still yellow streaks.

My mum and dad are coming down today to help me out with a few things before baby arrives, so hopefully mum will have some bright ideas - I'll let you know :D

LBxx

lol little bump!! maybe dye the whole lot yellow instead!!

Good luck

Natalie x

Ha ha ha!! Thanks Natalie - they would look better then - at least it would be a solid colour rather than what look like streaks of urine!! In fact if I wait a couple of weeks I could just dye them blue or pink!!!

LBxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back