V

good idea valentine :)
i wanna keep a note of hannahs scedual cos shes trying her best at the moment to change it.

8.30am - up awake, nappy changed, play, breakfast (creamy porrige) bottle, play, dressed, play.

12pm - nap for about 20 minutes, up nappy, bottle, play.

3pm - nap (20 mins) nappy, bottle, play.

5:30/6pm nap (altho im trying to stop this one cos she wont go to bed propperly latley)

7pm - bath/toptail, nappy, pjs on, bottle.

8pm - bed. (recently its getting closer to 9 as she refuses to sleep and crys like mad, think its either nap at 6 ruining routine or teething problems)

8-30pm/9pm - fast asleep

6am - bottle feed, the back in cot for another couple of hours.

8.30 - wake

Valentine I have no advice re routine but just wanted to say I was like you, no routine, Seren fed when she was hungry (which was 24/7) slept when she was tired etc etc. I was made to feel bad by another mother who was following a routine and she would go on about how wonderful her child was which made me feel crap. I tried to implement a routine not because I wanted to but because I felt like I ought to (if that makes sense). It didn't work, just ended up with Seren getting upset and me feeling worse. However as the months went on I realised she was in a routine, she would have a nap in the morning and one in the afternoon and her feeds became more spaced out and regular. She had worked this out herself and it suited us both. She was always content, and TBH it suited me to have the freedom, the other mum would not go out at certain times as it was nap time or feeding time whereas I just went out whenI wanted.

I guess what I am trying to say (after the essay) is that do what feels right for you. When this one is born I won't be trying to establish a routine again (apart from a bedtime one) but instead will follow baby as I know that is what works for me and my family. Some people swear by rouitne and for them it works really well (my friend had a routine and it has been great for her - oddly enough both our children are very similar) but no matter what you choose it doesn't make you a bad mother, it just means you are listening to your child and doing what is best for them. This thread is a good idea as you can see what times your baby likes to sleep and eat.

rachelandjarvis said:
good idea valentine :)
i wanna keep a note of hannahs scedual cos shes trying her best at the moment to change it.

8.30am - up awake, nappy changed, play, breakfast (creamy porrige) bottle, play, dressed, play.

12pm - nap for about 20 minutes, up nappy, bottle, play.

3pm - nap (20 mins) nappy, bottle, play.

5:30/6pm nap (altho im trying to stop this one cos she wont go to bed propperly latley)

7pm - bath/toptail, nappy, pjs on, bottle.

8pm - bed. (recently its getting closer to 9 as she refuses to sleep and crys like mad, think its either nap at 6 ruining routine or teething problems)

8-30pm/9pm - fast asleep

6am - bottle feed, the back in cot for another couple of hours.

8.30 - wake

well tonight was abit of a nightmare again. She wont go asleep unless hses in my arms - which she never did 2 weeks ago she'd happily go to bed and drift off herself.
Deffinatly as of tomorrow no naps after 5pm. Im pretty sure this new invented nap time she wants is ruining bed time.

BTW, i never got ANY sort of routine whatsoever till hannah was 2 and half months. And she seemed to be the one that done it, not me. I all of a sudden noticed that latly there was a pattern.

beanie said:
Valentine I have no advice re routine but just wanted to say I was like you, no routine, Seren fed when she was hungry (which was 24/7) slept when she was tired etc etc. I was made to feel bad by another mother who was following a routine and she would go on about how wonderful her child was which made me feel crap. I tried to implement a routine not because I wanted to but because I felt like I ought to (if that makes sense). It didn't work, just ended up with Seren getting upset and me feeling worse. However as the months went on I realised she was in a routine, she would have a nap in the morning and one in the afternoon and her feeds became more spaced out and regular. She had worked this out herself and it suited us both. She was always content, and TBH it suited me to have the freedom, the other mum would not go out at certain times as it was nap time or feeding time whereas I just went out whenI wanted.

I guess what I am trying to say (after the essay) is that do what feels right for you. When this one is born I won't be trying to establish a routine again (apart from a bedtime one) but instead will follow baby as I know that is what works for me and my family. Some people swear by rouitne and for them it works really well (my friend had a routine and it has been great for her - oddly enough both our children are very similar) but no matter what you choose it doesn't make you a bad mother, it just means you are listening to your child and doing what is best for them. This thread is a good idea as you can see what times your baby likes to sleep and eat.

Thanks girls, you have made me feel so much better. I am working on establishing the bedtime routine, but will keep muddling on through each day as you are right, we are both happy and I'm tie-ing myself in knots over nothing - I'm not particularly competitive, but I hate the implication I'm doing something wrong re. my child rearing. However, I'll keep an eye on the routines, and keep updating this thread so I can see if there is any vague pattern forming - but I certainly won't be forcing it.

r&j - you are doing really well. Look after youself now and the little one in your tummy - make sure you go to bed early too.

Valentine xxx

day 20

bad evening of him being awake and screaming, 6pm feed, 8pm feed, eventually settling about 10pm...
1am feed
5am feed
7am feed
9am feed slept at 10
12noon feed slept at 1.15 ish... to be edited and continued later today :)
4-5pm feed
6.30pm feed with infacol
8pm feed (not for long) - fell asleep with me at 9pm

day 21

1am feed
6am feed (good boy, letting mommy get some sleep :))
8am feed slept at 1030

day 22 I've forgotton...

day 23
1am feed
6am feed :cheer:
9/10 feed
2pm feed

day 20

bad evening of him being awake and screaming, 6pm feed, 8pm feed, eventually settling about 10pm...
1am feed
5am feed
7am feed
9am feed slept at 10
12noon feed slept at 1.15 ish... to be edited and continued later today :)
4-5pm feed
6.30pm feed with infacol
8pm feed (not for long) - fell asleep with me at 9pm

day 21

1am feed
6am feed (good boy, letting mommy get some sleep :))
8am feed slept at 1030

day 22 I've forgotton...

day 23
1am feed
6am feed :cheer:
9/10 feed
2pm feed

I did send you some idea of our 'routine' valentine but just wanted to say that the lady who made you feel sad isn't worth the thought, EVERY baby is different and NEEDS different things and ways at different times :hug: Ella likes to sleep through the day right now, she may be going down at 7 and sleeping until 7 in a few weeks, who knows, it doesn't mean anything but LO is happy if they're guiding you as to what works for them :hug:

I'm no expert V but I know you love Ella and you want the best for her, if you want a routine just try it and see, you'll both know soon enough if its not for you :hug: In the meantime, all I would suggest (remembering I know only what works for Isaac and me), setting ONE bedtime, where Ella goes into a darkened, quiet room, with a light/sound/toy that will signify to her its bedtime, then do this every night and see if she starts associating it.

I'd say it doesn't matter if one night it takes 5mins for her to go to sleep and another it takes 1hr, because at least you're keeping your 'routine' going and she will hopefully come to like it as she grows :hug: Isaac doesn't always go down quietly, but eventually, he always goes. BIG hugs, you're a great Mummy, Ella must be so happy and content to sleep through the day like she is :hug:

Thanks girls - Ella's not actually bad at going down at night (sorry if I gave that impression) - sometimes she takes a while to go to sleep, but like r&j's LO, this is because she's had a nap between 4pm and 7pm so we're trying to keep her awake during this time. She's also only up once now anytime between 3.30am and 6am and that works for me.

She is a VERY sleepy baby and I know I'm lucky but I do worry about missing my chances to play with her and help her develop as she just wants to sleep all the time and is so CHILLED OUT! She hardly cries - only a couple of shouts if she's hungry or now windy too - but she often shouts a couple of times, then gives up as if she just can't be bothered! I love having a chilled out baby, but I do worry that she's not getting much stimulation.

Anyway - I'm quite happy muddling along and not having set feeding and nap times, I know roughly now when she'll nap and feed and that's good enough for me. I'll keep keeping a note of it as above just out of interest.

Thanks for all your routines, advice and support - much appreciated.

Love

Valentine xxx

Sounds to me like "muddling along" is working a treat for you, especially if you and baby are as happy as you seem - both of you!
dont let that other "perfect mom" with a routine get you down. I had that sort of pressure with my two older children. With Anaïs i am enjoying every minute of muddling along, untill I can no longer do this when I start work next month... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Lisa

Just wanted to add that Alex had no routine really until the past two weeks. He fed when he wanted and slept when he wanted (which was rarely in the day!). I was finding it quite hard going and was being accused of overfeeding him and feeding him when he didn't want it. I know my child though and when he wanted a feed! He's been 'properly' on solids for roughly a fortnight (by that I mean taking them! He just really wasn't interested before) and now he's started forming his own routine. He breastfeeds around 7am, has breakfast approx 8.30-9am, feeds again about 10.30am, 1.30pm, 3-4pm, tea at 5pm, bath at 6.30pm and breastfeed at 7-7.30pm. He has been sleeping through until 5/6/7am but last night was up at 2 (he's poorly and coughing himself awake).

Even though he's my 2nd child I felt like I was doing something wrong as he was so different from my first (who slept!). Only now am I starting to relax about his feeding, but I'm happy that he's settled into his own routine. About a month ago I was adament that he was going to feed 3 hourly, but following it through was too stressful for us both. The best thing is to relax, enjoy this time and your baby will lead you into their routine. I know this is easier said than done when you're feeling frazzled! Don't let anyone get you down about your parenting, you love your little girl and are doing best for you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back