V

i think its a fantastic idea!!!!!!!
something i would never think of!!!!!
you should deffo do it!! oh and post some piccies :D

Valentine that sounds like a wonderful idea. To be honest I've kept some of her clothes just because they have sentimental value to me so I'd use them for another girl but I could never get rid of them. I have a picture in my head of her wearing so many of them as a teeny bub. You could always choose a select few that really mean something to you (if possible, it'd be hard for me!) and then either sell or freecycle the rest. :hug:

id say go for it 2 hun!
it will hold special memories for u!
xx

I think that is a beautiful idea and not selfish at all.
Your wee girl will love that. My jess is 4 and a half and even at that age she would appreciate that.

valentine said:
So, as I'm quite crafty, I've come up with the idea of making a patchwork quilt for the children's beds and a huge one for our bed from some of the nice clothes. However, I can see how this is really wasteful and selfish.
So is it selfish to cut up some of my beautiful baby clothes to create a lasting memento or is it okay to just give away some (not all)?

Valentine Xxx

Oooh, don't be daft! A lovingly made quilt can be passed around, gifted or even sold for years and years to come, and bring more pleasure than a couple of bin bags of clothes. It's the very opposite of wasteful!

lauramumof2 said:
I think that is a beautiful idea and not selfish at all.
Your wee girl will love that. My jess is 4 and a half and even at that age she would appreciate that.

See, it'll probably take me that long to do it! So perfect!

Sounds great, you can always pass on any white sleepsuits/vests to make you feel less guilty

I think it's a nice idea. I have kept all LO's clothing, shoes, first things.
I can't and won't get rid of it either. I don't think I could cut stuff up that LO's worn though.
Maybe keep them all and re-use for babies 3 & 4 (if same gender?).
Make a decision then as to keep, donate, make something? I do love the quilt idea though, will become a treasure for them in years to come....mind you if baby 1 has her clothes made into a quilt then maybe number 2 will want a quilt, then 3 and 4, you'll be making them for years :D Nice though they would all have their own blankets.

SaladSandwich said:
Maybe keep them all and re-use for babies 3 & 4 (if same gender?)
I can't do this - I already have a whole fitted double wardrobe full to bursting and it'll only get worse as DD continues to grow out of things. I would love to keep everything until she's all grown up, but its just not an option!

SaladSandwich said:
I don't think I could cut stuff up that LO's worn though.
Hmmm, that's a good point, actually cutting with the scissors will be difficult! But I think I'd rather do that to my favourites, than see another baby wearing them (I know how selfish that sounds).

SaladSandwich said:
mind you if baby 1 has her clothes made into a quilt then maybe number 2 will want a quilt, then 3 and 4, you'll be making them for years :D Nice though they would all have their own blankets.
Yes, if I did it for one, I know I'd have to do it for them all! Will give me a project for years to come though!

Valentine Xxx

there;s been a recent thread about these memory type quilts and i absoulty love the idea v and i dont think your being selfish . what ive done so far is keep all his clothes and nice sleepsuits etc but ive given away all his white stuff and now his got to size 9-12 and ive just had far too much ( brought like bundles in sales and ebay etc) ive started to get hard and sell some stuff too , i wish finanically i could give it all away but i simply cant ! im keeping stuff and we want 1 more , and im 100% sure it will be a boy lol so after that 1 i will feel less attached i think and will be able to sell / giveaway more and i would love to keep some and make a quilt ( more like pay someone lmao) !

ive rambled :shock: sorry !

Its not selfish at all, if my Mum suddenly produced a quilt she had made me out of my old things I would be overwhelmed it is a lovely thing, and would become a real heirloom. It will be a lovely discussion point too, you can tell your babies the 'stories' behind different fabrics and they will LOVE to hear about when they were babies...and when you are old you will love to loo at it too. As others have said give away the plainer things or things that dont have so many memories attached and make something beautiful with the rest :D

Ooh just had an idea....you could start a small quilt for yourself and add rings of patches as your family grows, it would kinda tell the story of your family and eventually be big enough for the bed :D Hmmm I might do this for myself lol

I posted about this not long back :) viewtopic.php?f=36&t=107435

I plan on doing the same. Although I may not make it myself as me and sewing of any kind is an order for chaos and destruction :lol:

I don't see it as selfish at all to use the clothes to make a quilt. I sell on some of Galen's things but have kept most of his clothes and all the stuff up to 9 months is now bagged away ready for next baby (fingers crossed). If we have a girl she'll be a tomboy. I purposely got a lot of clothes, even boys ones that could also be worn by a girl (although what people will consider more boyish colours). But if we have a girl then of course some girly outfits will be gotten (although pink will be a rare sight in our house :lol: ).

I think its a lovely thing to do with baby clothes as for me the idea of leaving them sat in a box year after year seems more of a waste if I plan on keeping them. No one would ever see them :( I want them to be seen, for me to be able to tell LO stories at bedtime of when he wore such and such an outfit (like the outfit he was wearing when he first walked or did something silly).

I would make the clothes go as far as possible by using front and back and sleeves also, so I could make a quilt for our bed and one for each child.

Some outfits we have I'd never sell for various reasons. We have some great lil designer outfits (small designers not big names) and one offs and money wise I am sure people would not want to pay for them second hand as they would not be going cheap cheap. I'd rather make them into quilts and be able to see them every day :)

Its a really lovely idea. The quilt could be passed on from generation to generation!!! So it wont go to waste, where as clothes end up getting binned somewhere along the line anyway.... that's the way i would look at it :lol:

I've loved this idea since I read the thread Sherlock posted. I was going through some of the Tiny Baby stuff that Molly has already grown out of and was thinking of asking a friend if he needed any of it as he's recently had a baby who was under 6lb but I really can't part with it!

I'd need to learn how to sew or get someone else to do it though. I don't think it's selfish - it's reusing them in a different way.

I think the quilt is a lovely idea.

We only kept a small bag of alexs newborn clothes, and these are more for memory reasons than re-use. We plan on having another baby in a few years but will just start with new stuff/second hand stuff again. We didnt spend that much or go too mad on clothes when we had alex.
We sold most of alexs clothes on a carboot sale - I washed and ironed it all put it in little plastic bags and sold lots. The money we made we bought him some new stuff in the next size he was in.
Some people thought we should have kept it, but we dont have the space, and when we have another baby it could be a girl so we would have to buy new anyway.
I did give some of it away too as a few people I knew were having babies.

ooh i LOVEE patchwork! post piccys when ur done! :dance: do what u like with them luv! 'snot selfish! :D :hug:

I think that is a great idea! I have a quilt that my grandmother made from scraps of my mother's baby and young child clothing and I adore it and use it all the time. :)

melissa5317 said:
I think that is a great idea! I have a quilt that my grandmother made from scraps of my mother's baby and young child clothing and I adore it and use it all the time. :)

Aw, that's lovely to read! You've made my mind up now!

Thanks everyone!

Valentine Xxx

Its a lovely idea! If I could find someone to make one, Id love to have this done with some of Jacob's baby clothes...if No 2 isnt a boy of course!! I had a look on ebay and the only person I could find that does this kind of thing was on Ebay US and she was charging $175 (thats well over £100) to make such a quilt up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back