Urgent advice on extremely high temp

Mummy to one

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

My 3 year old son has been unwell all day. I took him to this doctors this afternoon because his temp was at 39c. They sent us home and told us to take calpol and ibuprofen. It does help but takes a while to bring it back down but the last time I gave him it, it didn't come down for ages! He's not due any medicine for another half hour but that's his temp creeping back up to 38.5 again. I don't want to take him to doctors on call for nothing but he's roasting to touch but shivering like crazy saying he's cold.

Any advise?

Thanks

X

Has he got any other symptoms? Rash, signs of dehydration etc? If you're worried I would call 111 to be on the safe side x

If either of my daughters had a temperature that kept going up I would go to A & E. 39 degrees is really hot too. I would definitely seek help if I were you x

Cold compress on head, minimal clothing, fan if you have one but yeah id def ring 111 or out of hours doc for advice and a and e if youre really gaving trouble, def not good. Good luck!

When it's my son I take him straight to ED! Although they don't seem concerned til temp reaches 40. Cool bath and face cloth with carpool and cool water, but for peace of mind I always take him back to children's ED

The nhs website says that you should only be concerned if the fever persists for more than a few days, if it's not controllable with paracetamol or ibuprofen or if the show other side effects such as rash or vomiting to the point they can't keep food or water down.

My son has had a temperature (he's 2) and it often creeps to 39. The day before last it hit 40 but I gave him another dose of ibuprofen which he was due and it brought it down. If it hadn't I would have sought medical advice at that point as they aren't concerned until it hits 40 like someone else has said. When they are younger that 6 months it's 39.

I think they basically assume a lot of it is virus driven and it should work itself better over the course of a few days

Meant to say I take my son straight to ED because he has other medical issues not just because his temp is hight

I don't think the current guidelines advocate cool baths / damp flannels?

I'd call 111 myself. Hope he feels better soon.

X

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I'm probably the only one here who doesn't even own a thermometer (I did but they kept breaking)

I only ever used paracetamol once and always let temperatures run its own course by making sure he's hydrated and taking fluids and sleeping it off. The last temp we had was a bit higher than usual and raised some concerns (we do have an infra red in case we really do need to temp him) but he slept it off and was better the next day .
Unless it be creeping up to 39,5-40 I'd go a&e or any other meningitis symptoms obviously x

You can alternate between calpol and ibruprofen, I have found ibruprofen always works great if the calpol hasnt.

As advised remove clothing, keep hydrated and let it runs its course. If its still persistent Id go back again in a few days. Xx

Both times my daughters have had super high temps (around 40-41) they were also shivering and had really mottled skin. We were petrified and took them to a&e and both times it turned out to be tonsillitis. The staff said the symptoms are very similar to the scary illnesses so they diagnose lots of tonsillitis in young children because the parents are often so worried. Having said that they've also said they would much rather see the children to make sure theyre OK than not see them and run any other risks. So of you're still feeling dubious about going in but are really worried, just go to the gp, out of hours or whatever just to make sure all is well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back