Too soon for IUI?

Claire351

Reaction score
I came off the mini pill mid July & according to OPK have ovulated twice. However I've had no period & lots of BFNs.

I want to get fertility tests done but think the dr will say it's too soon since coming off pill.

We've been ttc since I came off the pill but have 2 potential issues - 1. I have a low sex drive & suffer a lot with fatigue which can make motivation for sex difficult. 2. My DH is not always able to finish. We occasionally manage it but sometimes one of us just runs out of energy and he has to finish himself off.

I struggle with feeling a failure when this happens or if I have let him down.

What this all amounts to in my mind is whether we should already be exploring alternatives. I am 36 in a few months and while we haven't been trying long I'm not sure I can cope with the required 6 - 12 month wait when I'm already doubting everything. I think I want to try IUI as seems to be the most natural option but is it too soon to be doing this? Would I even qualify on NHS or should we go private?

It took a long time for me to find my husband, now we both just want a family before we are too old & the risks get too high.

Am I right in thinking you came off the mini pill mid July 2019? And asking if you should pursue fertility treatment and testing? The short answer here is no, you haven’t even been trying for 6 months yet, you really need to give it a lot more time, especially after coming off the pill it can take a bit of time for your hormones to balance out again, each cycle gives you about a 20% chance of conceiving so it’s really unrealistic to hope to be pregnant by now, if you went to the doctors they would send you away tbh

The problems you’ve quoted as having can quite easily be overcome, just make more of an effort to get in the mood during your fertile window, if you want to make a baby you have to have the sex lol, good luck hopefully you catch sooner rather then later, with opks btw they don’t confirm ovulation they only tell you when you are getting an LH surge, ovulation usually follows this but doesn’t always x

Just reading your post again I don’t think the nhs even do iui, think it’s just ivf and most nhs trusts you have to be trying for 2 years then you go on a waiting list, re you not having period, doesn’t sound like they’ve come back yet after finishing the pill, it can take a good few months, if you had ovulated you would get a period within 2 weeks x

You came off the pill in mid July and it’s now mid August and your thinking of fertility treatment. Wow!
It takes a healthy couple around 6-12 months to conceive. You haven’t even gave yourself a chance for your body to get back to ‘normal’ after coming off the pill.
Opks aren’t actually an indication that you have actually ovulated it just tells you when you are having a LH surge. If you haven’t had a period then you clearly aren’t ovulating.

Just a bit of advice a lot of ladies on here including my self have been TTC for a long time so it frustrates me when ladies come on here thinking they are Infertile when they haven’t even been trying a month. Not meaning that to come across bad.

Thanks for your reply.

I appreciate I probably sound completely insensitive to people who have been trying for months / years. This is not my intention.

I was told when I was 19 that due to injuries I have it may be difficult for me to conceive.

I know that stress can effect fertility and I am trying minimise my stress by investigating options. Forgive me for wanting to be reassured that everything is okay & working as it should rather than putting myself through months of heartache.

If there is a problem & we are going to need help I'd rather know now than in a years time.

Good to know about OPKs. The Dr told me that if after 6 weeks of coming off the pill I hadn't had a bleed I should be concerned. Have been trying to find out more information on this.

I am simply trying to find advice and support.

I am in no way assuming I am infertile but can you blame me for worrying when 1. A Dr has said we might struggle 2. Suffer with generalised anxiety disorder which involves medication which significantly lowers the sex drive 3. Am 35 - the age all social media & nhs guidance says risks start to increase & chances start to decline

The e reason i was asking about IUI is because I have read that it is more about helping your natural cycle

I am simply trying to find advice and support.

I am in no way assuming I am infertile but can you blame me for worrying when 1. A Dr has said we might struggle 2. Suffer with generalised anxiety disorder which involves medication which significantly lowers the sex drive 3. Am 35 - the age all social media & nhs guidance says risks start to increase & chances start to decline

The e reason i was asking about IUI is because I have read that it is more about helping your natural cycle
You didn’t say in your first post that a dr had told you, that you might struggle!?
It is way to soon to be suggesting fertility treatment if I am perfectly honest. Doctors won’t look into you and your DH until after 6 months.
My advice is just to naturally keep trying, it’s only been one month so you have plenty of natural tries.

Agree with the replies above. It's far too soon to be considering fertility treatment after just a month off the pill. It can take several months for your body to regulate and your cycles to return to normal.

It is considered normal for it to take 6-12 months to conceive but as stated above it can take a lot longer than this for many couples, myself included.

IUI is unlikely to be provided on the NHS as from what I understand, its success rate is very similar to a natural cycle.

Its been 4 weeks since you came off the pill??
When i was ttc 4 years ago it took 9 weeks for me to get a period - you wont be fertile till that happens. Interesting to know what you mean by positive opk’s, do you understand how they work and which ones have you been using?
I understand your issues you say you have but technically you havent started trying yet as your periods havent returned! Docs wouldnt even entertain referring you and i doubt very much going private would be much different as like i said, you havent ttc yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back