Toddler won't wear reins (big surprise!)

candymycandy

Reaction score
We bought my 19m old boy reins for when we are walking by roads etc. Have tried quite a few times to get him to wear them and when I put them on he just cries, won't move and asks to be picked up. Ie point blank refuses to walk with them on! Have tried just putting the strap round his chest without the handle clipped on that I'd hold to get him used to it, and he still doesn't like it.
DH wants me to persevere but it's not him that has to cope with the tantrums! My mum suggested just sitting there with him until he finishes crying but this isn't really convenient if I ever want to get out of the house?!
Not sure what to do?? Obviously would be perfect if he could wear them so we didn't have to worry so much near roads but equally he always walks on the inside of me and isn't yet quick enough to out run me. Maybe he's too young? Thanks x

are they plain reins or backpack style? my 15m old loves her ladybird backpack and wears it in the house and then I just clip the strap on

My LO also has ladybird back pack. She has accepted I either hold the rein or her hand. When I'm getting ready to take the dog out she now runs to get her bag so she can go to.

How old is she willow? El1en it's not a backpack but has a dinosaur (a flat one) that sits on his chest so thought we'd be safe! We've tried telling him either has reins on or goes in buggy/holds hand but it doesn't work :( should I persevere?

Put it on in the house when you're not going out and build up the length of time he's wearing it for him to get used to it and realise it's not threatening x

We too have a backpack one with reins which worked well as harper liked to wear the backpack, I think she forgot the reins were there tbh but we don't use it much anymore with the reins, just use it as a backpack now x

I don't really believe in reins. All be it my 2 and a half year old is generally pretty good. Our rule is if you can't walk nicely and listen to mummy and daddy you go back in the pram and that seems to work. I found that reins made his behaviour worse and he was more difficult to control and reason with

My son is 3 and I was told he didn't want the reins on at nursery and I don't blame him they look stupid as! He's always been in the buggy and he holds my hand fab which is what I prefer. Try again when he's a little older or make him choose between holding your hand or the reins. If mine wouldn't he'd either go in buggy or be picked up. I regret never getting a meitei toddler for longer distances than just round corner x

Yeah I do give him two options dependent on if we have buggy or not etc. He won't hold hands unless he's not sure of surroundings and often hates being in buggy. He just wants to walk with no restrictions! We got the reins
As an alternative because he won't hold hands but they've failed for that! May give a few more goes and wear in house as scn suggests but I guess ultimately some kids just don't like them?!

If he hates them, let him watch tv or whatever he likes to do at home so he can feel ok in them before he has to go out of the house. Build up the time he wears them for inside and in the garden then just on your local road then further afield. I love the idea of the backpack reins so they feel a little more independent. Have you tried the wrist straps so its a mix between holding hands and reins. Good luck with it, I hope he gets on with one of them not too badly

Trunki do sets of reins called Toddlepak and they have different animals as the harness part, maybe letting your little one choose the character will encourage him to wear them? Just an idea...

Em x

I am not really a big fan of reins either but I can see how in some circumstances they can make sense. Our boy loves to walk but it can be hard work leaning over to hold his hand the whole time. I never actually got riens but I thought about it. Now he is taller its not such an issue. We rarely bother bringing the pushchair.

I would guess if you go for the wait it out method it will most likely only take a couple of times before he decides țhe tantrums are not working so if you decide to try that then just plan for when you are not in a hurry. The hard bit is not giving in when he cries because no one likes to make their LO cry but sometimes it is the quickest solution.

We have the Trunki Toddlepak as mentioned above and my lg loves them.

We have the backpack too (the Bee one lol) and we've been OK with it. Mainly as the "rein" part of it is not directly attached the child so she has the illusion of being independent.

We don't use them much anymore as she is quite good at hand holding but anywhere with water or crowds we still use it.

X

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

i think reins are great! The only way my toddler will use them is if her elder sister pretends she wants them. Can you try something like that with an older child he gets on with?

My LO hated reins, I don't think we ever used them. She does like to walk independently and always has done, I am ok with that but I was worried that mum and dad and my OH may not have such quick reactions so I have made her hold my hand. We don't leave the house or car without her holding my hand and if she lets go, I turn around and walk back and say we have to go back if she can't hold hands. I also talked to her about keeping safe and that walking on the road is dangerous and she may get run over. She really likes a reason as to why she can/can't do something and she really seems to understand. She often says to my mum and dad, when I get out of the car I have to hold your hand incase there are cars coming which I don't think is a bad thing

I wonder if you can try the backpack ones and get him excited about how he can carry his favourite toys or his snacks in it? That's what I'm hoping to try when the time comes.

My daughter is 2 1/2 now and we have been using the bag for just under a year.

Thanks for all the helpful replies ladies. Going to try and just put the harness bit round him without the handle in the house for a while before we go out. Did it yesterday and he whined for a bit but managed to distract him and he had it on no fuss for around an hour so fx can manage this when we leave house! If this fails may see if he'll wear a rucksack one he's chosen x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back