baby wearer's

ella

Reaction score
Do you wear your LO's a lot around the house and feed them in a sling and let them sleep on you? Im thinking this might be a good way of Darragh not feeling neglected when the new baby arrives as I can play with him too, and equally a good way for the baby to be close to me. Darragh hated the kari me sling I had when he was little but i didn't persevere, I have also been give a baby bjorn one so might try it too this time.

When Eden was a newborn thats exactly what i did if my son was home too :D On the days he was in nursery, i could give her all my attention, so both kids had their mummy time. Now she is almost 5 months and becoming a more social girl, its not so much of an issue. My son loves to sit and talk to her or show her his toys while he is playing, so i dont tend to sling her around the house now, unless she is particularly restless or feeling poorly. I try to keep them involved together, and make my son feel like he is helping, and they have a really great bond together now, its lovely x :hug:

Lisa, do you know there is a mei tai called Eden? :D We got one for DD as her middle name is Eden.

ella said:
Do you wear your LO's a lot around the house and feed them in a sling and let them sleep on you? Im thinking this might be a good way of Darragh not feeling neglected when the new baby arrives as I can play with him too, and equally a good way for the baby to be close to me. Darragh hated the kari me sling I had when he was little but i didn't persevere, I have also been give a baby bjorn one so might try it too this time.

Sorry, completely forgot to answer your question :oops: Yes we wear her lots! OH wears her for hours every day still - she's 8.5 months now.

I don't know how well the bjorn would work - parents always seem to put their babies facing out, poor things, and i always feel sorry for the way they look when they fall asleep in them. It may be possible to snuggle with baby facing in, I don't know for sure and the bjorn does seem to hold baby away from your body a bit. there seem to be different types though so I hope it will be fine but please face baby in.

When DD was 6 weeks old our aubergine cord Connecta arrived. I used it lots then and it is still used for hours every day. I have lots of wraps but OH prefers buckles. I have tried it with a 20 month old so I know we will get good value for money :D DD loves to fall asleep in a cuddle so if she is fighting sleep OH puts her in a carrier and walks a little and she falls asleep :D

yep - this is often the only way i can anything done! I have a Kari-me and niamh loves it when tummy to tummy but is not so keen on the cradle hold! so I can't feed her in it yet. OH not so keen on kari me so we are looking into something more like a baby bjorn.....which reminds me, I must post about that!

I still wear Oliver everyday around the house, while I'm doing the housework, but not as much as I used to now that he's happier to play by himself - I have him on my back while I'm washing the dishes/tidying/carrying clothes up and down the stairs. And when I'm hoovering because he gets scared otherwise! I don't feed him in it unless we're out and on the bus or something (I never really got the hang of it) and I don't wear him for naps often, because I do like to have that time while he's asleep to myself, but if he's having trouble getting off I will carry him to sleep.

I'd definitely wear the next one, it must be even better with two because you can bond and keep the new baby happy while still spending time with your older child.

kalia said:
Lisa, do you know there is a mei tai called Eden? :D We got one for DD as her middle name is Eden.

Ooh no, but thanks for that, will have to get one now! :shhh: Any excuse.... :lol: I have noticed loads of other stuff called Eden recently though, mineral water, deodorant, even a TV channel now! :D x

kalia said:
I don't know how well the bjorn would work - parents always seem to put their babies facing out, poor things, and i always feel sorry for the way they look when they fall asleep in them. It may be possible to snuggle with baby facing in, I don't know for sure and the bjorn does seem to hold baby away from your body a bit. there seem to be different types though so I hope it will be fine but please face baby in.

We had a bjorn that we never really used as Ella hated it, but small babies shouldn't face out in them anyway, I can't remember exactly, but I am fairly sure they have to be able to hold their heads up to face out in them. We used it once when she was about 4 months and she faced out then as she was nosey and liked to see what was going on around her!

I would go for something that will last rather than a bjorn that will get heavy very soon, and ditto what Kalia said about comfyness. However when DS was a few weeks old I managed to strip the artex off my bathroom wall whilst feeding him in a bjorn style carrier so they are not all bad :lol: after he was about 15 lb we retired from baby wearing as he was too heavy to carry in the bjorn style carrier (broke my heart, if only I had known of other options) DD is about that now (need to get her weighed) and i hardly feel her weight at all (different story when she is in my arms)

I would go for a wrap or mei tai but there are lots and lots of options about. We have a close baby carrier which has been great and spurred me on to want to carry DD all the time however I have a custom mei tai on order and im just looking at getting a woven wrap -more for variation than nessesity

TBH i dont wear LO in the house much i dont need to as have a 8year old who is really helpful but I have on occasion and can see how it would help if i had a younger child plus newborn.

In the woods today I fed LO in her carrier no probs, its so much easier doing it that way when your having to be mobile.

I dont face her out as it puts your centre of gravity out and she can see just as good facing in or on your back.

I used the most basic version of the Baby Bjorn carrier and it was a godsend in the early months as it gave me the freedom I needed to get things done whilst also keeping Kathryn happy. She would sleep quite happily facing into me when she was diddy but as she got bigger (about 4 months) she would cry if I had her facing me but was perfectly happy facing out so that she could see EVERYTHING!

She is still within the correct weight range to use the carrier and I have used it as recently as 2 weeks ago but my shoulders had begun to ache after an hour so I had to tag team with my OH!

I have always liked the look of the slings which are just 1 long strip of material theat you tie in the way which suits you and your baby best- they look well comfy and they look like they spread the weight more evenly.

My sister used her carrier when she first had her 2nd LO mainly as her toddler regressed slightly and wanted to be pushed in the pushchair again instead of using the buggy board (or his legs) and it enabled her to wear the newborn and push her little boy around and make his trasition from baby to big brother a little easier.

flowergirl said:
I used the most basic version of the Baby Bjorn carrier and it was a godsend in the early months as it gave me the freedom I needed to get things done whilst also keeping Kathryn happy. She would sleep quite happily facing into me when she was diddy but as she got bigger (about 4 months) she would cry if I had her facing me but was perfectly happy facing out so that she could see EVERYTHING!

She is still within the correct weight range to use the carrier and I have used it as recently as 2 weeks ago but my shoulders had begun to ache after an hour so I had to tag team with my OH!

I have always liked the look of the slings which are just 1 long strip of material theat you tie in the way which suits you and your baby best- they look well comfy and they look like they spread the weight more evenly.

My sister used her carrier when she first had her 2nd LO mainly as her toddler regressed slightly and wanted to be pushed in the pushchair again instead of using the buggy board (or his legs) and it enabled her to wear the newborn and push her little boy around and make his trasition from baby to big brother a little easier.

I'm really impressed at you managing to carry in a bjorn for an hour! The weight range given is for how much weight the carrier can hold, not how supportive it is for you. She should have knees a bit higher than her hips so that she is seated rather than suspended by her crotch (which is bad for her spine). Facing in will be a lot better for your back and in a carrier where she is seated rather than dangling she can still see everything as she has full head control and can look around. believe me, DD is very nosy and would soon tell us if she couldn't see! :lol:

It would be worth you buying a new carrier as you obviously like babywearing and will be amazed at the difference. A long piece of cloth is called a wrap. My friend was amazed at the difference between a bjorn and a wrap when her baby was 3 months old - imagine how you will feel! OH wears DD for at least 3 hours every day in a Connecta and it doesn't hurt (DD is 19.5lbs). I don't know how long he would have to wear before it hurt. I have carried our 20 month nephew in it. I have pelvic problems so I have to stop carrying after a certain time because of my pelvis but never because of my shoulders or back. I use mei tais, soft structured carriers (ones with clips like Connecta and kanga-X, not bjorn or those incredible metal things!) and wraps usually.

Babywearing is so lovely! I hope you can continue until your baby is at least 2. Have a look at babywearing forums for more advice :D :hug:

Iv had the Baby Bjorn for mizzy and iv recently had to stop useing it :( , it was a god send on days like the kids swimming lesson when i couldnt get a pushchair in and the waiting area was just fill of buggys and ignorant people.Or for round the house when she wanted a nap and i needed to sort the washing or do the pots. For snuggling i use it inwards and she is happy with that but outwards every other time as she wouldnt have it any other way, she is far to nosie for that.

Need to get something new though now.

Having used a Baby Bjorn and then a mei tai I can quite categorically say the Bjorn won't be seeing the light of day if we have another though OH will probably use it. I stopped using it around 6 months and only when I put the mei tai on did I realise that carrying her in a carrier/sling didn't involve pain and achey shoulders! I tend to stick her on my back using the mei tai (I now have 3 :oops: ) when I'm in the house though she's a wee terror with hair pulling.

I really liked the baby bjorn when she was smaller but it was totally impractical as she got older because the baby's weight totally hangs on your shoulder and isn't also balanced on your hips/waist. DD is "average" weight too (50th centile) so not especially heavy.

I also have a woven wrap but I find it a bit of a faff so I don't use it very often. Don't want to sell it though :oops: :lol:

Kalia :hug: thanks for the advice!

I will be checking out the natural mamas forum- I love wearing my little girl and she loves it too! The sooner I can get a new carrier the better!

:cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back