Toddler reins - what do you think?

maybebaby

Reaction score
I never liked the idea of reins for a toddler - it seems like putting your baby on a lead like a dog. But now Austin wants to walk everywhere they're looking like a good idea. He doesn't understand the concept of having to hold my hand all the time & usually tries to run off at least 3 or 4 times every time we're out.

Just wondering what people's opinions of them are really?

I never liked them either but now keeley seems to think its funny to run off and have everyone chase her :roll: :lol: i love them... i do agree they are a bit like a lead but i'd rather keeley looked like an animal then get hurt :D

Plus you can get some really cute ones with little bags :)

Cheers Nic. Not heard from you in ages! How are you :hug: and how's the beautiful Keeley?

midna said:
Im not against them ..mabey they could do one with extension like them dog leads hahah ..so you can reel them in near the crossings and hazardous places :D

Love it :D

I'd use them, it gives him a little more freedom than having to hold my hand all the time but he can't run off. I like the ones which are a little backpack with the reins coming out of it too, I'd imagine it'd make them feel a bit more grown up to be able to carry a few of their own things rather than just feeling like they were on a lead.

I always thought they should have extendable ones too - you should get on Dragon's Den!

i think id use them... not all the time of course but say if your walking down a busy main road then deffinately!!!!

I had reins for Tia... but they were pretty useless... what ended up happening was that she would run a head and pull on the reins... then lean forward so that her whole weight was on her chest and if I tried to pull her back her legs would just lift off the ground... (if that makes any sense.) and she'd nearly smack her face into the ground... so it became easier to have just a wrist one in the end...I had it for ages... plus I could attach it to clothing rather than her wrist.... :)

ive never used them with any of mine, but mine are good at holding my hand or holding the pushchair

I've got these Tommy Tippee ones and they are fantastic.

I don't use them all the time as quite often Tom is happy to hold my hand or walk on his own.

But when he was first walking and always falling over they were brilliant for yanking him up before he bit the dust (!) and now I use them when we're in a busy place.

Lx

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tommee-Tippee-M ... 498&sr=1-4

I used to use reins (the ones from the wrist) with my nephew, they were a godsend.

When he got older and learnt how to take them off, when we used to go into town shopping we'd go to pizza hut or somewhere first and I;d attach a helium balloon to him. He though the balloon was great and took him months and months to realise that I knew exactly where he was when he was hiding in shops as i could see the balloon!!!!

I'll certainly be using them with this LO when the time comes

I've bought some but not used them yet as LO is only taking his first steps right now...I'm sure they will come in handy though he's always off somewhere getting into something, will be nice to know he's attached and safe yet toddling around a tad more independant.

Isaac's still in his buggy in busy places so no call for them yet, tbh they're not something I'd considered, will leave him to it with holding hands and see how he goes but can see how they would be useful if your LO likes to run off a lot :shock: if we're at the park or something Isaac likes to stay close so think he may be one for not running off, but will see :D

Squiglet said:
I had reins for Tia... but they were pretty useless... what ended up happening was that she would run a head and pull on the reins... then lean forward so that her whole weight was on her chest and if I tried to pull her back her legs would just lift off the ground... (if that makes any sense.) and she'd nearly smack her face into the ground... so it became easier to have just a wrist one in the end...I had it for ages... plus I could attach it to clothing rather than her wrist.... :)

thats why I dont,like them. Joe sits down when he realises they are on and that I am in control. Im going to get a wrist one.

Stanley wears a monkey backpack

http://www.smalldudes.co.uk/epages/smal ... /ABGB00009

I think before I had a toddler I might have been in the 'oh no, it's like a dog lead' school but in fact they enhance Stanley's experiences IMO, and are not limiting at all. It means we can go on short walks without the pushchair (he's been to mahoosive to carry or sling since he was much younger)

He's one of 'those' children, the ones who never keep still, and I can take the monkey tale off if we're somewhere safe. He's had lots of nice comments about his backpack :)

Minxy said:

I think before I had a toddler I might have been in the 'oh no, it's like a dog lead' school but in fact they enhance Stanley's experiences IMO, and are not limiting at all. It means we can go on short walks without the pushchair (he's been to mahoosive to carry or sling since he was much younger)

He's one of 'those' children, the ones who never keep still, and I can take the monkey tale off if we're somewhere safe. He's had lots of nice comments about his backpack :)

i like that :)

maybebaby said:
Cheers Nic. Not heard from you in ages! How are you :hug: and how's the beautiful Keeley?

Hiya hun, I'm good thanks so's Keeley can you believe she's 2 in four months!!!! :shock:

Hows you and Austin? Congrats on your pregnancy btw :D

luke won't walk with them he just goes around in circles, could be useful though if austin takes to them!

Minxy said:

ellouise has the pink poodle one of these she looks soooooooo cute in it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back