Pain Relief In Labour....

I went into labour with an open mind, I said I wanted just Gas & Air and didnt want anything else but it didnt work like that :lol: In the end I had alot of pain relief (had long labour) so can give you an idea of what things made me feel like....

Pethadine - Personally i didnt like it, it make me sick so I had to have antisickness injection and it made me REALLY drowsy so I couldnt keep my eyes open. I did have 3 shots of the stuff though over the course of 2 days!

Gas & Air - Amazing, I really liked it and think I could have gone all the way on this if my labour had been shorter. It kinda makes u feel really spaced out and takes away some of the pain for while your having the G&A, it makes u feel kinda drunk i'd say. I liked it although it stopped working as good after having it for about 12hrs lol. You can always try this and if you dont like it then go onto something else?

Epidural - I couldnt have done it without one, I was advised to have one so that I got some rest before the pushing stage as I was exhausted. Being pain free was amazing!!! After a while I began to feel like I needed a poo kinda feeling and was checked and was ready to push. Alot of women say they done feel like they need to push and have a slower delivery, I felt the contractions so knew when to push but didnt feel any pain so it worked well for me, I was only pushing for 20mins and she was born. The downside was afterwards - I wasnt very steady on my feet for a good 24hrs after and struggled moving around to see to Ellie etc, in the future I would try to avoid Epi but i'm definately not against having one again if I needed one.

Hope that helps a bit! As far as the pooing part lol I promise you that you will not care even if you do, I dont think that I did and if I did then the MW's sorted it out and I didnt know anything about it :) :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thanks girls.

I think i am just going to take it as it comes, see what happenes and sort out pain relief as and when i need it!

:D

I only wanted Gas & Air and pethidine. I ended up crying for an epidural after 6 hours but that was because my contractions were on top of each other and I couldn't catch my breath between them. I was induced and had a drip which made my contractions much stronger than they'd have been if I'd went naturally.

As for the pooing! That was my biggest fear, I was actually having panic attacks about it towards the end of my pregnancy. I did poo but the MW was very discreet about it but I badgered her into telling me the truth when I asked if I'd just poo'd. I wasn't as mortified as I thought I'd be so don't worry.

I pooed and it was a very liberating experience to know that a complete stranger had to clean away my shit :rotfl: Some men pay a lot of money for that and I got it for free :rotfl: :rotfl:

I went drug free (fooking hard core me, and fooking weird to boot!) definitely agree to keep an open mind, you may have the easiest labour ever and wonder what all the blumming fuss is about!! :hug: good luck!!

i didnt have an epi so cant give any wisdom there, but i did try a bit of gas & air, it didnt make me talk crap! and no it doesnt take the pain away either. what it DOES do is make the pain easier to bear because u feel kind of detatched from your body (and therefore the pain) i felt like i was floating about 2 metres above poor pregnant naked trixipaws in labour :lol: i could feel "her" pain but coz i was seemingly floating above her i wasnt in the centre iykwim, thats only how i can describe it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back