To go back to work or not.....

Eaw123

Reaction score
Hi ladies, whilst on Mat leave and currently still classed as working we applied for and got a mortgage and have made an offer which was accepted. Now in theory I really need to go back to work full time. I work for min wage and need at least £800 a month to live on which means I have about £400 to spend on child care, I can't find child care in this range for full time. It's more he other way round £800 for child care and I'm left with 400 odd!! If I didn't go back to work does anyone know if I can claim any benefits for a while until I can find something else? My husband is self employed and brings home the same as me. I feel at a loose end. My mat doesn't finish until after as but I'm trying to get organised.

Hi ladies, whilst on Mat leave and currently still classed as working we applied for and got a mortgage and have made an offer which was accepted. Now in theory I really need to go back to work full time. I work for min wage and need at least £800 a month to live on which means I have about £400 to spend on child care, I can't find child care in this range for full time. It's more he other way round £800 for child care and I'm left with 400 odd!! If I didn't go back to work does anyone know if I can claim any benefits for a while until I can find something else? My husband is self employed and brings home the same as me. I feel at a loose end. My mat doesn't finish until after as but I'm trying to get organised.

In plymouth our citizen advice has a wing that helps women know exactly what their entitled too. Its worth checking your area.

To my understanding you would be entitled to tax credits and child vouchers if you plan on working moe than 30 hours but i couldnt tell you how much.

It's my understanding that you can't claim housing benefit with a mortgage so I don't think you would be entitled to that. But you can claim working tax credits and as above, childcare vouchers. There is a website called Entitled To, which will give you a better idea. Good luck X

It will depend on your joint income as to what you are entitled to regarding working tax credits and child tax credits. As others have said take a look at the government website and you could put in your details to get an idea.

I heard if you quit your job you can't claim benefits for 16 weeks as you took your self out of work. I'm not sure how true this is so I could be wrong but that might be worth checking.

You can claim housing benefit with a mortgage but the circumstances vary. You are unlikely to receive things like JSA, but you are eligible now for child tax credits and child benefit if you don't already receive these. They don't add up to much though.

Working tax credits can pay up to 70% of your childcare costs depending on income too so it's worth considering that.

Thanks ladies. I've just received forms for tax credits so will fill them out and see what happens x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back