to dummy or not to dummy?

winnie89

Reaction score
Hi ladies so I've noticed the last couple of days harry has been feeding well and he like to suck on me and the last couple of feeds he's throwing up because he's full so I was wondering should I give him a dummy to suck or not?

I don't bf Alice so not much help although my mum said i used her as a comforter so she gave me a dummy and it stopped me wanting to constantly be on the boob, i would only want breast for actual feeds from then on. But its up to you i use a dummy rarely when she needs it and don't see anything wrong with a dummy! xx

id give it a try. G has had a dummy since about 2 weeks. some people dislike them, but some babies need something to suck, and i feel that a dummy will be easier to wean her off than a thumb. also research has shown that they can lower the risk of SIDS. XXX

Lewis is BF and has a dummy yet still throws up after every feed it's hard to know when they're just comfort sucking or not but if you think you know it could be worth a try. Some BF babies have trouble with their latch because of them and even now if L goes from dummy to breast he is confused to begin with.

I dont bf hunni so not sure if my advice is any good but i've used dummies on 2 out of 3 of my children (the middle one was/is a thumb sucker never took a dummy)

Usually my kids have sucked really hard on the dummys then grumbled cos theres nothing coming out of it when theyre hungry!

Thats how i tell the difference between sucking for comfort or being hungry xx

It seems to have helped today with Henry's colic so I'm loving the dummy at the mo!

Dummies are a godsend for Harlow. She has reflux so a dummy helps the milk stay down rather than constantly keep coming out her mouth. x

Just thought I'd give an opinion of someone who didnt give a dummy...Jack used me a little as a comforter over the first few months then at about 12 weeks he started sucking his thumb. He now self soothes which is lovely and seems completely happy. I only breastfeed now when he is actually hungry although theres always the odd occasion he just wants comforting :) xx

Usually my kids have sucked really hard on the dummys then grumbled cos theres nothing coming out of it when theyre hungry!

Thats how i tell the difference between sucking for comfort or being hungry xx

G does this too. I found it definitely helped me learn her "hungry" cry. Xxx

Alyssa has a dummy. she will only take it to soothe herself to sleep and spits it out at aall other times ao it only really gets used after her night feed at 3am or if shes fussy due to being overtired

Just thought I'd give an opinion of someone who didnt give a dummy...Jack used me a little as a comforter over the first few months then at about 12 weeks he started sucking his thumb. He now self soothes which is lovely and seems completely happy. I only breastfeed now when he is actually hungry although theres always the odd occasion he just wants comforting :) xx

Good Advice but i think a dummy would do the same thing as a thumb. i know that Alice cant find her thumb so some babies just take better to a dummy. Alice aso wont take the expensive dummy's that are good for her teeth for some reason so had to buy her the old cherry type dummy. I wish i hadn't spent money on the expensive ones now. :roll:

Good Advice but i think a dummy would do the same thing as a thumb. i know that Alice cant find her thumb so some babies just take better to a dummy. Alice aso wont take the expensive dummy's that are good for her teeth for some reason so had to buy her the old cherry type dummy. I wish i hadn't spent money on the expensive ones now. :roll:

It took Jack 3 months to find his thumb and then a few weeks after that to really master it so I do think it takes a while. A dummy is probably easier I should imagine as they get use to it earlier on....I was just worried about the nipple confusion thing!

It took Jack 3 months to find his thumb and then a few weeks after that to really master it so I do think it takes a while. A dummy is probably easier I should imagine as they get use to it earlier on....I was just worried about the nipple confusion thing!

I dont BF so dont know about confusion your probably right!! I can only say from my mum i had both and was fine, i dont know how long it is before a baby can have bottles and dummys and still take boob (for expressing etc) xx

so far ive not had a problem with nipple confusion. just that the bottle or dummy can make her lazy when latching if its been recent or shes not really hungry. if shes hungry or hasnt had a bottle recently then she latches fine.

We've not had any probs with confusion either, and I had to give G a bottle of expressed early on because she wouldn't latch. Although it does happen it is apparently very rare.

The American SIDS society recommend dummies from birth, even for bf babies. Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back