Dummy???

noodle1

Reaction score
My little boy is 5½ weeks old and so far I have not given him a dummy. This is mainly because I don't like the look of them but also because of the difficulty when the time comes for him to be a big boy and not have one anymore.

I have let him suck on my little finger when he is realy hungry while his milk is doing to keep him quiet but now he screams for it sometimes after an hour and a half / two hours. I don't think this is hunger as he will suck for a few minutes and go off to sleep.

It is getting to be a nightmare, I am letting him suck on my finger regularly for some quiet :|

If he is just needing a bit more comfort should I give him a dummy? :?

I didn't want him to have one but it is just getting too much!!

Nikki

:D

I would give him a dummy hun, rather than become one yourself. It's relatively easy to wean them off later.

Sue

If it makes your life easier hun, give him the dummy......

:hug: :hug:

I didn't want Austin to have a dummy but he was just using my nipple for comfort. He used one loads for a couple of months but recently he's stopped wanting one so much, he'd rather suck his thumb (and only then when he's going to sleep). I reckon you should try him with the dummy.

I was like you and didn't want Grace to have a dummy either, for the same reasons as you have said but she was using me for comfort and I ended up with such sore nipples....

Once I gave her a dummy this all stopped. She only has it when she is tired and wanting a sleep and we never use it just to keep her quiet. She rarely has it when we are out and about as the movement of the pram will send her to sleep nicely,

I would give you little one a dummy, it will help you both .......... it certainly did us :hug: :hug: :hug:

I would give him a dummy!

We got to 4 and a half months without one so was annoyed to have to but he was teething and he was just using me as a dummy for comfort!

Thanks eveyone for your advice. I have a dummy in the steriliser now but typically he has just gone off to sleep!

:hug:

Both mine had a dummy for a couple of weeks when they were around 7 weeks, they probably didn't even have it for that long but it seemed to bridge a gap when they wanted to suck for comfort.

Don't give him a dummy!
Its soo hard trying to get them off it,my fred had one till 5,then needed a retainer for 2 years and a headbrace in his sleep for a year to get rid of the buck teeth he had.
Try weaning him off your finger,use control crying,worked a treat on kylie and her addiction to her dummy.

Not every child will have problems because they have a dummy I had one and didnt have problems and matthew has one for naps or when he's cranky at least you can take a dummy away if they suck their thumbs theres no getting rid of that!

I was the same, I didn't want to give a dummy to my little boy but after a few screaming fits when he was tired I gave him an orthopaedic dummy and it helped calm him.

My niece and nephews have had no problems when the dummy was taken from them. So I'm sure we won't either.

Do what you think is best, he's your baby and you know him better than anyone :hug:

Cx

Dylan has a summy and he had it from 3 weeks and noe he prefers his thumb...he sucks his thumb all the time and takes his dummy out to suck his thumb...i think if they are gonna want something to suck theynwill find it so give him something he can be weaned off

I gave Jake a dummy for exactly the same reasons you stated in your post noodle.

My nephew had a dummy but decided last month (at around 7 months) that he didnt want it anymore so not all kids have a problem giving it up

I felt the same, didnt want to give her a dummy, but did after a few weeks....she never really relied on it, she would suck it to go to sleep, then spit it out as she nodded off....It was handy to settle her on car journeys too but at 12 weeks she just stopped with it all together and hasnt had it since :cheer: :cheer:

She makes funny little sucking noises, she sort of sucks the inside of her cheek and toungue as she is nodding off :)

Thanks for your replies, well I gave Tom the dummy a couple of hours ago when he was really whingey and what can I say.... peace at last!

The little man is much happier (as is his Mummy and Daddy!) :D

I'm glad the dummy helped Tom :) George uses one sometimes when he's grizzly for no reason or when he's just using me for comfort. It does help and, I think, better than him sucking his thumb/fingers. My eldest did that and still, occasionally, sucks his thumb when tired.. and he's almost 18!

:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back