The goods and the bads?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Chat' started by dollface79, Jan 3, 2012.

1. dollface79

dollface79 Well-Known Member

Ok so in general i know what is good and bad for you food wise.... but i don't know much about what i can and cant eat now i'm pregnant. So far i have stopped smoking and no longer have any caffeine... what foods if any should i be cutting out?

Thanks in advance!

2. Smithy1980

Smithy1980 Well-Known Member

Hey hun.....anything that's not pasteurised i.e blue cheeses, pate, runny eggs.... eeeerm can't think of anything else...sure someone else will come along! Xx

Sent from my sparkly new 4s!!!

3. lyndsey_28

lyndsey_28 Well-Known Member

4. Welshy1

Welshy1 Well-Known Member

My killer is no McFlurrys/Mr Whippy ice creams......its the first thing ive asked for when lil one is born xx

5. Rachel1509

Rachel1509 Well-Known Member

Oh this one has been torture for me!!

I've told my mum that as soon as LO is born, I'm buying a massive tub of soft scoop vanilla ice cream and I'm gonna eat it all in one sitting :D

6. lyndsey_28

is this a new one or summat?? as this is my 3rd time being pregnant and i have never avoided the ice cream from maccies, was only told to avoid ice-cream from abroad and i lived on ice-cream from maccies last time, not so much this time but it never harmed me it was the only cure to my heartburn along with the milkshake from macciess!!

7. xMrsxCx

xMrsxCx Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm thinking same... I've had ice cream from macdonalds because midwife said its only ice cream from the ice cream vans that you need to avoid... all supermarket brands you can eat and places like macdonalds I was told is safe...x

8. BevG

BevG Well-Known Member

lol ive had mcflurry and it hasnt hurt me so far...

9. mummy2b73

mummy2b73 Well-Known Member

I was just told it was ice cream from ice cream vans that I needed to avoid I've had a mc flurry a few times with no problems.

#9 mummy2b73, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  10. Rachel1509

Rachel1509 Well-Known Member

It's because of the machines they distribute the ice cream from. Something to do with the nozzles it comes out of and if they aren't cleaned properly.

11. lyndsey_28

well it still must be a new thing as MW never mentioned it to me or 4 years ago with my 2nd or 10 years before with my first and i loved the stuff so will carry on with it!! just was told to avoid ice cream abroad when i went as they make it with goat milk not cows :)

12. anlovey

anlovey Active Member

avoid some seafood like swordfish which is high in mercury, some contain little mercury like shrimp are ok. Also undercooked meat, pouktry, eggs and unpateurized foods are harmful for unborn baby, more fruit and water.

13. TashaWink

TashaWink Well-Known Member

i think - read the information available and make you're own choice on it! There is alot of different foods we're told not to have but i think this changes frequently.

I've read about mayonaise and runny eggs but then i've also read that if eggs have the lion mark they are completely safe!

I have had some unpasterized cheese's (although a small amount once in a while)

Things that i have been avoiding-
    Runny eggs - this is what i am missing most but not too sure whether to have one! coz so many people say no!
    Nuts - as OH is allergic and theres a possibility LO can be Allergic (i don't like nuts anyway so this doesn't bother me)
    Alcohol - Have had a drink over xmas
    Caffine - Have had some fizz now and then...but nothing major and i don't drink tea or coffee (because i don't like it)
    Raw Shellfish/fish - Closest i have got is smoked salmon

Everything else i have had but in small quantities.

14. l_maclean

l_maclean Well-Known Member

I've had the odd runny egg, because a lot of the info says with the lion stamp in this country the risk if salmonella is low. I've just made sure the White is totally cooked, and maybe a wee but hard (like medium rather than soft or hard iykwim). - but I wouldn't risk it while we were in the states.

Xxx

15. masonowen

masonowen Well-Known Member

I,ve never been told to avoid any icecream, I,ve had a few from my icy man, surely my mw should have told me this!!:shock:

16. reillybaby1987

reillybaby1987 Well-Known Member

i didn't realise you weren't supposed to eat runny eggs, i've only had one mind you so should be okay....

17. babyem

babyem Well-Known Member

I'd hate to not have Mr Whippy! love it, and McDonalds Ice cream sundaes!!

18. jojo_2012

jojo_2012 Well-Known Member

The only thing I avoided is liver because of the vitamin A. Also prawns in restaurants because they're commonly stored wrong.

Everything else, if it doesn't harm you pretty much doesn't harm baby. Runny eggs never hurt me so I have them all the time. I still eat prawns but just ones I've bought and cooked myself.

19. babyem

babyem Well-Known Member

I love runny eggs, wouldn't eat them otherwise! x