Tell Me Everything!

BabyLove

Reaction score
Im a Stress-Head & Have Recently Been Panicking Over How To Bottle Feed. Iv Been Asking In "Ask a Mum" About The Best Way To Warm & Prepare Bottles etc But Theres So Much More To It & I Would Really Appreciate Knowing Everything :D Like..

Night Feeds - Am I Supposed To Get Up & Prepare The Bottle From Scratch Just Like I Will Be In The Day? Or Is There Another Way? Everything I Need To Make Feeds Will Be Downstairs & You've Got To Be So Careful With All This Sterilising etc So Im Guessing I Cant Keep Anything Upstairs Ready? For Example - If I Kept 2 Bottles Of Warm Water In My Thermo Bag & Then Just Add Formula When She Wakes? But Thern There's The Issue Of It Not Being Sterilised Anymore I Suppose So I Guess Thats a No.

Going Out - Iv Got An Avent Thermo Bag Thingy That Can Hold 2 Bottles So Would I Put Warm Water In Them and Add Formula When I Need It? The Only Thing About This Is That Once You've Sterilised a Bottle Ready To Go Out.. How Does That Work Because They Only Stay Sterile For a Few Hours and You Cant Sterilise Them If Your Out And About :think:

What Do You Do?

The 'easiest' way would be to sterilise the bottles, add your boiled water to them, then when the waters cooled then apply the lid over the teat, and then the bottle will be sterile, safe, for 24hrs. ONLY when you remove the lid and expose the teat again do you begin the 1 hour window where you should make and use your sterile bottle :)

Then, when wanting to make up your bottle, simply add some hot water to a jug, place your pre-made bottle in it, and when the water is hot inside the bottle, add the formula powder and it will dissolve easily.

Then wait for the bottle to be cool enough to feed, you can speed that process up by then putting cold water in the jug as above. Or you can use your bottle warmer idea, I never used one so cannot comment on them.

I use the same as above when going out, friends and family will have access to hot water for you, and if out, most food places will supply a jug/dish of hot water for you to warm a baby's bottle.

There is only a risk if you remove the bottle lid before you're ready to make a bottle up. Or if you feed your baby a bottle that was made over an HOUR ago.

Hope some of that helps, that's how I choose to make up Isaac's bottles, try not to worry, you care so much you're going to be a great Mummy :hug: :hug: :hug:

I use the Avent Thermo Bag and put bottles with warm/hot water in there. There is a warning that you shouldn't put bottles in there with boiling hot water as it can damage the lining. It usually keeps the water warm for a few hours. I've started to note places with bottle warming facilities so I can plan my day if I'm shopping (it's not like the old days when I could shop wherever and just pop out with my purse and phone!!).

I currently breastfeed at night but my friend has given my a Lindam Day and Night Feeding thingy. I would use it if she was having bottles at night. I'm not sure if anyone on the forum uses it and what they think of it, but my friend loved it.

My way is:

Store boiled water in a vacuum flask. Sterilise bottles and put bottles, teats, rings and caps together and store in fridge for up to 24 hours. Once I need to make a feed, I get a bottle from the fridge and use the hot water that's in the vacuum flask, then I plonk the bottle of made-up formula into a pot of cold water and if I need it to cool quick, I run cold water into the pot. I keep hot water in a flask as this saves me waiting 30 minutes for freshly boiled water to cool, but it also means the water is hot enough (needs to be over 70C) to make up the formula as the milk powder is not sterile, and by adding the powder to hot water, it can help kill off any bacteria.

Thanks Ladies Thats Great! Very Much Appreciated :hug:

Redshoes said:
Hope some of that helps, that's how I choose to make up Isaac's bottles, try not to worry, you care so much you're going to be a great Mummy :hug: :hug: :hug:

Aww Thank You Redshoes Thats Really Nice Of YOu To Say :) xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back