Surnames?

KirstyD

Reaction score
Quick thought occured to me about babies surname.

I'm not married to OH (yet!) and wont be till after LO arrives. I want their surname to be my OH's surname as i will also take his when we get married.

Can you register any surname when unmarried or does LO have to have mine and then have it changed? :think:

Me and OH are not married and Calleigh has his surname :)

Friends of mine were unmarried when they had their 2 children (they are married now), she was explaining to me that the children needed to take his surname from the start, otherwise when they got married he would have to legally adopt the children, even though they are his children - crazy I know.......

So definitely get LO registered with your OH's surname :D

My little boy has my OH's surname. You just write tell the registrar when you register their name

Hi there!

Dont know if you saw my post in "Relationships" section, but you know this is my hot topic too!!!

i'm unsure about England, but in Scotland, or from what I've been told, you can register in OHs surname but they have to be present when you got to register the birth.

However, when is hospital the baby will be name tagged under your surname for security reasons (i think).....

hope that helps...maybe google your local council and see what they say! :D

alice was robertson when she was in hospital (my name), she was registered under Gardner (OH's name). Im pretty sure my OH needed to be there, but seeing as he drove us and i was too scared to go on my own, he didn't have a say in the matter!

The same lady who registered alice's birth had registered OH's nans death a few days before, and knew OH and his brothers as her son went to school with adams brother. Small world!!

me and my OH aint married and the kids all have his surname

im fairly sure your OH has to be there when you register birth/name,but other then that there shouldnt be a problem :D

It won't be a problem but you both have to be present at the registration, which is different from married couples where the husband can register on his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back