Sun beds???

I would never risk it personally. I have had 4 losses though and I am very very cautious. Even with my first, I wouldn't have done it though. Not worth it in my opinion.
You can buy creams that prepare your skin for the sun, I have used them before and did help. They are called tan accelerators but they stimulate the natural melatonin in preparation for the sun. Might prevent the burning?

http://www.lookfantastic.com/elemis...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLjPiPvv_ssCFcM6GwodXzwJSw

I can't find anything that says they are potentially harmful to baby. The only real info I've found on them is that your own skin becomes more sensitive once pregnant and can become more prone to sun spots etc and potentially you could burn more easily.

I can totally understand why people would feel there's a risk. But I think if you feel you have made an informed choice beforehand then you shouldn't feel bad for choosing to do it.
Xxx

I can't find anything that says they are potentially harmful to baby. The only real info I've found on them is that your own skin becomes more sensitive once pregnant and can become more prone to sun spots etc and potentially you could burn more easily.

I can totally understand why people would feel there's a risk. But I think if you feel you have made an informed choice beforehand then you shouldn't feel bad for choosing to do it.
Xxx

Everyone has a choice, I just think it just seems fair to point out all of the facts.

One of the reasons why sunbeds are not advised is because they like a hot bath, steam room etc, can raise you core temp which can lead to development issues in the fetus and/or a miscarriage. Although some have fans to cool our body down from the outside, internally baby isn't fitted with a fan.

I don't think that risk is worth it for 6 minutes of UV light IMO.

Go on holiday and get a tan that way? (as she is going away) Also, the same guidelines apply - UV and prolonged tanning out in the natural light does the same by raising core temp.

xxxx

Last edited:
Totally with you, russellmuscle!
Just not worth the risk! I am pale and proud!

I was a sunbed fanatic and I've now gone very pale and it upsets me! Lol, but I would never risk my baby over being tanned it's not worth it when you don't know the consequences! They tell you not to go on them.

Who are they?

They being medical professionals whos job is to have our health and our babies health at interest.

Personally if its for 6 minutes of "heat" its totally not worth it. Its not going to build a big base colour before you go off on holiday? Seems a risk for no actual benefit IMO.

xxxx

My midwife and consultant said not to and also my the ladies who work at the sunbeds don't allow no pregnant ladies on their sunbeds! And clearly states in agreement and also is on every door in the sunbeds don't go on if pregnant.

Totally with you, russellmuscle!
Just not worth the risk! I am pale and proud!

Im like a bloody white wash.

I used to like the tanned look but more into Wednesday Addams look now :lol:

Most think with dark hair and eyes Id tan, but nope. Burn like a wee lobster then go white again.

Im paler than OH and hes ginger :rofl:

xxxx

I was actually thinking of getting a sun bed the other day and the tanning shop told me I shouldn't really whilst pregnant ... The sun bed I go on is very well fanned and I crave that feeling of just getting some light on me in this grey weather lol!

Anyway I haven't been back as I've been away and probably won't bother now until the sun comes out and I can sit out in the garden :)

I went to Ibiza last year without getting any sun beds and I used factor 30 (double of what I usually use) and I went a lovely brown and didn't burn one bit so if you decide not to use sun beds to prepare yourself then just a higher factor would be alright.
Personally, I don't blame you for wanting to go on one as I'm the same! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back