Sun beds???

itchycoo

Reaction score
Anyone use them while pregnant? I'm a bit confused... I only ever use them for a few weeks before I go abroad as I'm very pale and burn easy, haven't been on since last June I don't think! Go away in 6 weeks and thought I'd look online to check, nhs website says there's no evidence it can cause any harm only the risk of burning more easily on them (exactly why I wanted to go on) but went to my shop and she asked me to fill in a new card, there's a tick box for if your pregnant and I'm not allowed??? She couldn't really tell me why she just said it isn't safe!
Anyone used one? Will I have this problem everywhere? I was planning just 2 six minute sessions over the next 6 weeks but it's got me worried now!

Best to be safe and not go on, don't want to risk anything. Maybe a risk of baby overheating? That sounds silly now I've typed it haha

I'm just wondering what the risk is that's all, I mean I wouldn't risk anything with baby... I'd risk me burning cause I have a feeling it's gonna happen on my holidays anyway :-( lol just runs it strange the nhs say it's okay

The first thing to get straight is that this is about health advice for you, not your baby. Using a sunbed will not damage your unborn baby. The reason you're advised to avoid using a sunbed is to protect you and your skin.

Advertising
The reason is that sunbeds give out ultraviolet (UV) rays, which is the same type of harmful radiation that's found in sunlight.

But there's a special reason to be wary during pregnancy. Many women find their skin is more sensitive during pregnancy, this means your skin may be more likely to burn in the sun or if you use a sunbed.

Emma Lees-Laing, midwife for baby charity Tommy's, explains: "Sun beds are no-go as your skin will be really sensitive. If you’re sunbathing, make sure you use a higher factor sun lotion than normal.”

I personally see no difference to 3 minutes on a sunbed, to an hour out in the sun on holiday... you wouldn't avoid going in the sea and going in the sun whilst away

I think the rays from a sunbed are much more concentrated which is the issue.

Sunbeds have been proven as being risky when you're not pregnant, let alone when you have a baby on board.

I personally just wouldn't take the risk.

XX

Im not huge on sunbeds - have used them in the past but not for many years.

As Em says I believe the UV is more concentrated - Im not sure of anywhere that the sun will give you a tan or glow in 9 mins but a tanning bed would because its hella strong.

Aside from skin risks, there is also a risk to heating your core temp which could affect babies development in the early stages and/or cause MC - its the same reason hot baths, hot jacuzzis, steamrooms/saunas are avoided. I recently queried about a sauna and was told no.

It is your own risk - most establishments wont allow you to use them anyway being pregnant, mainly due to ethical and insurance purposes. If something were to happen to your baby after a sunbed you could not go back and blame the shop basically. If you go for a sunbed knowing all these facts then it is your risk.

RE the acne I would visit the GP for something that may assist in pregnancy, failing that 9m without a sunbed isnt the end of the world in comparison to the gift of healthy life.

Good luck :)

xxxx

Thanks for all the replies... Thing is we have a wedding in Mexico and a holiday in Tenerife over the next 3 months and I just wanted my skin to get a bit of heat before I go.. I do every year before i travel but I'm guessing more so now if I'm more sensitive. I'm not going on for a tan.. I dont tan lol if I can find one that lets me on I might give 6 minutes a try, then 6 a week later.

Appreciate all the response ty

If I'm honest I was working part time in a sun bed shop when pregnant with my son. I did use them like every couple of weeks.

I'm away in May too and like you I burn very easily so I like to get a few in before I go. I will prob go On a few at my own risk.

I will make sure I go to the more expensive shop than the cheaper one where I live as the beds get super hot in the cheaper one and id probably faint. The better shop they have good fans in them. Also there is a bed called sun Angel which scans your skin and doesn't get hot at all but it's more expensive.

Xxx

I agree with Russell muscle on this one. If your core temp rises to high this can cause problems to the baby. Again that is why you are told to avoid steamers, saunas and hot baths ect... personally I would not do it as if something did happen I'd always blame myself and I don't think I could live with that especially only for 6 mins on a sun bed. I'd rather be pale and take extra care when I'm away than risk doing something which could cause mc. I mc before this pregnancy and if I'm advised not to do something I won't do it. The advice is there for a reason.
Hope this don't come across rude as I don't mean it to, just giving my opinion.

If you want some color, then why not use fake tan?

Use a mousse or cream one, as opposed to a spray so you don't inhale anything.

I just wouldn't take the risk that I might hurt my baby using a sunbed.

XX

It is your choice, but this is absolutely not do,etching I would choose to do.
Xxxx

Thanks for all the replies... Thing is we have a wedding in Mexico and a holiday in Tenerife over the next 3 months and I just wanted my skin to get a bit of heat before I go.. I do every year before i travel but I'm guessing more so now if I'm more sensitive. I'm not going on for a tan.. I dont tan lol if I can find one that lets me on I might give 6 minutes a try, then 6 a week later.

That's what they invented spray tans for ;)

You cant use spray tans either in pregnancy :( I looked that up yesterday as I was looking to get one, something to do with a risk of inhaling the spray.

You can still use a mousse or a cream based tan but yes I've read that spray tans are a no go too.

XX

For a bit of heat? I thought they were for colour...

If its heat your after, buy a gas fire and plunk it next to you. :rofl:

xxxx

I was a sunbed fanatic and I've now gone very pale and it upsets me! Lol, but I would never risk my baby over being tanned it's not worth it when you don't know the consequences! They tell you not to go on them.

I was a sunbed fanatic and I've now gone very pale and it upsets me! Lol, but I would never risk my baby over being tanned it's not worth it when you don't know the consequences! They tell you not to go on them.

Who are they?

Who are they?

They being medical professionals whos job is to have our health and our babies health at interest.

Personally if its for 6 minutes of "heat" its totally not worth it. Its not going to build a big base colour before you go off on holiday? Seems a risk for no actual benefit IMO.

xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back