Struggling to get 7w old to sleep on their own

Holi

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Lo had just gone 7aeeks old. She is a very settled and all baby during day but on a night I just can't seem to get her out of my arms! We have a next to me crib so it's not like she's even far away from me! I've tried putting one of my tshirt in there, swaddling, waiting Til she's asleep to move her over (but she always wakes up!) leaving her fussing on for a while to see if shell settle herself (never crying before I get into the whole cc debate!)

I'm pulling my hair out! Honestly dread night times! If I let her sleep in our bed she sleeps for roughly 3/4hr stints which I would love!

It's making me want to stop bf cod I just need some space! And some sleep alone!

Any tips advice would help! Please someone tell me from experience that they managed to get their lo sleeping on their own?! X

DS slept in his cot from about two weeks old, woke once or twice a night, and slept through from 6 months.

DD is now 11 months, still sleeps in with me, and wakes roughly 10pm, 4am, 5am, 6am, then up anywhere between 6:30-7am.
Her cot is right next to my bed with the closest side off, so our mattresses are "joined"... Still gotta be on my bed.

I have no words of wisdom, but will be watching with interest xx

I'm in exactly the same position as Laceykeo. However my Lo was good when she was little it was just from 9 months after a bad first cold,

Have you tried a hot water bottle in the Moses basket for a little while before she goes in?

Does she have a dummy? That might give a bit of comfort

Could your LO have wind ? We used tp keep our lg upright at least 45 mins after a night feed. have you tried raising the mattress slightly? Or warming the mattress before you put her down. We used to let our LO fall asleep on us. I used to lay my arm against her in the snuz pod then alowly edge away. 7 weeks is still pretty young. Its scary being away from mummy.
My lg didnt start to self settle until approx 5/6 months.

Last edited:
I'm in exactly the same position as Laceykeo. However my Lo was good when she was little it was just from 9 months after a bad first cold,

Have you tried a hot water bottle in the Moses basket for a little while before she goes in?

She does have a dummy but it's hit or miss whether she will take it! I do find it helps so hopefully as she gets older age will take it more! She's currently tongue tied (getting it snipped on Wednesday) so maybe that will help her taking one??

Haven't tried the water bottle going to give that a go tonight! Thanks! Xx

Could your LO have wind ? We used tp keep our lg upright at least 45 mins after a night feed. have you tried raising the mattress slightly? Or warming the mattress before you put her down. We used to let our LO fall asleep on us. I used to lay my arm against her in the snuz pod then alowly edge away. 7 weeks is still pretty young. Its scary being away from mummy.
My lg didnt start to self settle until approx 5/6 months.

I was wondering if I was expecting too much from her at only 7 weeks! Just really don't want this to turn into the norm! The mattress is currently raised, I'll give more winding a go! I'll basically try anything! X

I think 7 weeks is very little still and its normal for babies that age to want to be close to their mum. My lo was the same and came in my bed most nights until he went in his own room at 7 months. He will happily sleep in his own cot now so don't worry you're not forming habits at 7 weeks old. Occasionally if he's ill he'll come into my bed (mainly so I can lie down if really tired) but he doesn't sleep better in my bed any more xx

We still co-sleep at almost 16m. Although I'd still rather that than no sleep!!!

I think when they are that weeny you just do what you have to do.

X

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I think 7 weeks is too young for high expectations. I used to stress so much with dd1 about 'making a rod for my own back' with bad habits but have always found that if I just roll with things and stopped stressing myself out dd stopped whatever it was in her own time. Enjoy the cuddles, they don't last long!

I think what I'm worried about is that she first went down really well in the next to me crib (first stint atleast was in it) but now I can't even settle her for the first sleep!

I'm all for cuddles but she's quiet fidgety so even when she's in with us I don't sleep! She's having my life! Haha good job she's cute! X

She does have a dummy but it's hit or miss whether she will take it! I do find it helps so hopefully as she gets older age will take it more! She's currently tongue tied (getting it snipped on Wednesday) so maybe that will help her taking one??

Haven't tried the water bottle going to give that a go tonight! Thanks! Xx

Apparently this can contribute with swallowing excess air causing colic so I'd await surgery to see if that improves sleeping. Like another reply I slept with my little one having the bed attached to ours with a side off. It wasn't until I took both sides off he just wanted to sleep in his own bed and considering before that we didn't just co-sleep but bed shared he now doesn't want to get in our bed! It was all the sides that bothered him! Giving him a pillow early worked too for us (8months) but he was used to pillows from napping on the settee. I now have his mattress elevated by having put a pillow underneath the top although I can imagine this might not work as you want with a small baby sleeping foot to bottom x

Have you tried swaddling? I occasionally swaddled my LO and sometimes still do (he's 11 weeks) when he's being restless. It makes them feel cocooned and cuddled. I used to swaddle him when he'd fallen asleep in my arms- it would wake him up so then I'd cuddle him for a few more mins until he was fast asleep then I'd put him down without any trouble. Look up online how to do it properly or get HV to show you- you need to make sure she's safe and that the blanket can't come loose.

Even if you don't try this don't worry- I'm sure it's just temporary. And as someone else suggested it could simply be wind, esp as you say she's fidgety, so maybe see if you can get an extra burp out of here or something.

Poor you- good luck!

Thanks everyone! Well last night I put her in her cot in her nursery for a nap while I was doing jobs upstairs at 7:45pm and I didn't hear off her til 12:30am! Quick feed and back down in her nursery! She was really starfishes but seemed to settle so much better in there? Don't get me wrong i was still up every couple of hours but she went back in her cot no problem and I was so nice to have my bed back!

I'm not mentally prepared to move my youngest out of our room yet but it seems to be what she prefers! Shame her cot won't fit in our room! But our rooms are quiet small (ours and the nursery actually use to be one big room until 3 months ago!) so even tho she's in her own room she's very close!

I'm so glad I spent 150 on a next to me crib.....not!! X

I think loads of babies at that he want to be close to mum overnight. With my first I 100% co slept from birth until she was 13 weeks old when I put her in her cot and surprinsingly she was fine and accepted it well. My son who is now 6 weeks old is slightly better in that he will sleep in the next to me crib until his first feed around 1/2am but then won't settle after that unless he is in our bed so I just get him into bed with us then and co sleep. But the lack of space thing doesn't both me too much I don't mind co sleeping. But I do plan to try the same again and when he gets to 12 weeks ish I will put him in his cot and hope for the best! Good luck!! Xx

No advise. My lo is 10 mo this and sleeps in my bed with me. I know it's hard but 7 weeks is so early they just want to be next to you. Just carry on putting your little down and hopefully they will learn it's safe to sleep without mummy!!! Good luck. I'd love my bed back but don't think will happen anytime soon!!

If it's any consultation you have cultures where bedsharing/co sleeping is normal but you've also got some where babies sleep in their own room at this age because everyone sleeps better! I actually thought that was going to be the situation when my little one was that age but it just didn't work out that way for us!

I can imagine you'll be able to hear her properly if it used to be the same room before turning into one, I think I'd feel quite comfortable with that, enjoy your sleep I'd say and hope it works out for the nights to follow x

If she's sleeping better in her own room then just go with it.

I moved my eldest into his own room at 11weeks. I hated the idea of it that young until he slept through and then it was the best thing ever!

I didn't move my youngest until 10 months, mainly cos he was moving in with his brother. We had the next to me with him but never actually used it as a cosleeper, maybe try letting your daughter sleep in it in your room with all the sides up away from your bed, see if that helps.

Have a look at the sleepyhead range, I really recommend getting one. Our lg settled really well into her next to me once we had the sleepyhead in there too. It cocoons them so they feel secure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back