Strong cramps today - really scared

ceebee

Reaction score
Hi people

I'm 5 weeks PG now and I've had cramping on and off since I got my BFP just over a week ago, some of them quite strong, but today has been the worst.

The cramps have me doubled up in pain at times. They're not all the time, but they've been coming and going all afternoon. There's a very small amount of brown spotting but I've had this on and off since my BFP. I just don't know what to do.

Is it even worth me seeing my doctor? What can they even do? If the worst is going to happen, nothing can change that, right? It feels so awful as I feel so helpless and scared. This morning I was feeling all positive as I had some morning sickness, so felt like all was well, but then the cramping started :(

Any advice or similar experiences would be great

Thanks xxx

Last edited:
Go to the docs hun.

Any spotting in pregnancy should be reported. They will send you for a scan.

FX everything is ok x

I had spotting in tri 1 but was NEVER offerd a scan but ever thing is fine try not 2 worry hun x

Strong cramps and spotting can be normal in pregnancy. But you seem really worried and this isn't the first time you've mentioned how scared you are. I'd advise you to go to the docs or hospital to get yourself checked.

Hope everything is ok for you and bean x

Thanks Ladies - I will see a doc tomorrow, though I'm not sure what they can do? I'm more worried about the cramping atm, as the spotting is hardly even there xxx

I was advised that bleeding in pregnancy is not normal and it should always be investigated.

There is a good chance it is nothing, as it is for many women, but you won't know that until you have had it checked out.

Aww lovely, I had terrible cramps the day before my BFP that had me literally doubled over in pain, I've never felt anything like it before! Then spotting for a week between week 4 and 5, and lots of strange cramps around that time too. It can be normal but obviously also frightening!

I would make a docs appointment hun, you're right in thinking nothing can be done but they might send you for an early scan which will do wonders for reassuring you and help you get through these next few weeks! I was lucky enough to get scans on the NHS at 5+5 and 8+5 and I honestly think I would have gone a bit crazy with worrying if I hadn't have had them. I figured it was better to have the doctor think I was a bit stupid and over-reacting rather than put myself through that worry!

Try not to worry lovely although I know from experience its easier said than done (all I seemed to do from BFP until about week 7 was cry because I was so scared!) And defo ring your docs tomorrow, rest up lots with your feet up and keep in touch with us all! Xxx

I have no more advise to offer as I think what the others have said is good advise and you've already decided to go see your doc. I just wanted to send you a big weirdy internet hug as I understand how scarey it is (I had these pains for 2 weeks continuously after conceiving and that's when i got my BFP as I needed to know if it was that or my IBS gone mad!) I hope that it goes okay tomorrow at the docs but if the cramps get worse you should think about calling out of hours..... they may not be able to stop anything from happening but they can at least check you out and if necessary help you deal with the cramps and pain!XX

Sorry sweetie,

I have only just seen this.

I would def see your Dr tomorrow and get referred to an EPU.

I have to be honest with you though, this early they are unlikely to be able to do much.

They may take bloods (to check hCG) and then again 48 hours later to make sure it's risen.

They may scan you but at this point there will not be a HB anyway.

I was told with my earliest miscarriage (I started spotting at 4w 4d) that there was nothing they could do :shock: :shock: and the EPU wouldn't see me.... My loss was just too early.

However the same EPU did scan me at 5w 5d and 5w with my other losses.

I really hope this isn't what you fear hun? I know you have had a rough ride but I hope seeing the EPU next week will allieviate your fears a little

You got your 3+ hun and signs of MS are good!!

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Thanks Ams, Peapod and carnat for your kind words :) I'm feeling a bit calmer now. Cramps have eased a bit, touch wood, so maybe it was just one of those weird things our bodies do to torture us!

Ams, I will try and get an early scan. but I think it just depends on the doc I see and I will have to make an emergency appointment, so won't have any say...

Nat - I'm assuming EPU is Early Pregnancy Unit? I will ask for a refferal - that's good to know hon. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm trying to say to myself as much positive things as possible. As far as I can tell from stuff I've read, spotting and cramping can be normal or it might not be, there's no way of knowing, but like you say, I've got some good other signs, so fx, it'll all be ok....

What would I do without my PF friends? :friends:Thank you all so much. I know it's just a waiting game now and all I can do is try not to think the worst too much and pray everything will be ok...

I will keep you updated xxxx

hope all goes well at the Drs tomorrow Ceebee xx

Ive been experiencing the same cramping on and off since the beggining of last week. I remember having them with my second baby but it still doesn't make them any less scary so I understand how you feel. I also had some spotting last tuesday evening but nothing since (something I didnt experience with either of my other pregnancies so made me worry even more lol). These things are definately sent to try us but are so worth it in the end.

Let us know how you get on xx

Hope all goes ok tomorrow CeeBee. Only just saw this. I've been having bad cramps aswell. Hoping its just your bean getting comfy in there!

x

Oh hun, I'm sorry to hear you've had a rubbish day. I think that some cramping and spotting is 'normal' enough, but I'd definitely still be going to my GP.

This may sound a wee bit cheeky but you could always tell a little white lie and say you're not sure how far on you are. That way, they may just decide to scan you, whereas, if they think you're v early on, they might turn you away....

I believe you'll be fine. Especially if the cramping is subsiding. Try your hardest to get a good night's sleep and you can tackle this in the morning.

Good luck xxxx

Oh hun, I'm sorry to hear you've had a rubbish day. I think that some cramping and spotting is 'normal' enough, but I'd definitely still be going to my GP.

This may sound a wee bit cheeky but you could always tell a little white lie and say you're not sure how far on you are. That way, they may just decide to scan you, whereas, if they think you're v early on, they might turn you away....

I believe you'll be fine. Especially if the cramping is subsiding. Try your hardest to get a good night's sleep and you can tackle this in the morning.

Good luck xxxx

I'd personally not lie (if you are going to see the GP first you can't anyway as they already know EDD) it just complicates matters.

The EPU will see you but they may not scan you at 5 weeks - however they will blood test you and if you hCG levels rise enough they will ask you to come back for a scan.

The only reason the EPU didn't see me with my second loss is that it happened on a Friday night and by the time Monday morning came m/c had already happened, EPU said there was nothing they could do for me at that stage! They did see me at 5w with my 3rd loss and they scanned me.

Best of luck hun

xxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Fair enough. I didn't know if the OP had been to her doctor already or not.

Definitely see CarNat 's point. She's a wise girl!

Best of luck again hun xxx

Hey ladies - thank for sharing your experiences and your advice :)

I'm feeling a bit more hopeful today, though still worried. I haven't had any strong cramps today, just a bit of a dull ache and I've also had some morning sickness and an af type headache, plus sore boobs, so I'm taking these as good signs my bean is still in there. I have a doc appointment at 9.50, so I'll let you know how I get on...

Thanks again for all your support xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back