Sterilising

Olive

Reaction score
The Dr Brown thread just reminded me of a question I have.

We sterilise a few bottles at a time and fill with boiled water (cooled for 30mins) and add powder as we go.

Question is, do you leave unused bottles in steriliser once done or put them somewhere. We leave them in as I assume once they're out there's no where you can store them and keep them sterile unless you're making up a feed?

X

I always leave any unused sterilised bottles in the steriliser and close it. I don't know if it works but I feel better leaving them in it as opposed to taking them out and leaving them in a cupboard and it hasn't had any ill effect on my LO. x

We do too, then I take out Jack's bottles for the day (4 at the mo) and make his water up in the morning and add the powder during the day. I've never left it 30mins etc x

I sterilise them then add boiling water straight away and seal ready for the night/day

Thanks ladies.

Clairebear and Hunnie, do you just add the boiling water once boiled and then leave for when you need to add powder?

I leave it in the kettle for 30 mins and then fill the bottles ready for adding powder later. Idk if I really need to leave it in the kettle for 30 mins.

xx

Yep, only add the powder when I want to use it then usually stick in the microwave for 15 seconds x

Same as Hunnie but microwave it for 25 secs because Jack's alot older than your LO's and likes it warm x

Yeah you should leave the water for 20/30 mins before putting in bottles, this is just the right temp to kill bacteria, if you do it straight after boiling it kills the nutrients & the bottles aren't designed for that high a temp.

The bottles are still sterile if you take them out steriliser & put the bits altogether with lid on.

Wouldn't advice using mircowave though, but it is handier when they get a bit older

:)

Thanks ladies. Really helpful. B doesn't really have warm bottles. He doesn't seem fussed but we've got one of those warmers.

Xxx

Kills the nutrients in what? I personally think leaving the water in the limescaled up kettle for 30mins isn't as good as putting it straight into a freshly steralised bottle?! Just my opinion though :) x

Oh, I wouldn't leave the water in a kettle, I leave it in a covered glass jug. According to my HV the reason for having to wait is so it doesn't kill the nutrients (same as with veg...it loses its goodness if over-cooked, which is what happens when you use boiling water)

:)

i fill a flask in the morning and use it as and when i need to (the tommee tippee flasks - easier than waiting for the kettle to boil) i only add the formula to hot water not cooled and i put my bottles straight into the fridge when they have been sterilised. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back