Started weaning

Rosieroo

Reaction score
As you know about 3 weeks ago I got myself into a tear about Ella's feeding and started her on food. I last a couple of days and then stopped.

Well I decided that now is the time for her as she's been eating baby rice cakes with gusto (she now has rice crispie poo!) herself, stares us out when we eat and she does 'seem' ready. So for the past couple of mornings I've been expressing and making her up some baby rice with a spoonful of organic baby fruit puree. She really enjoys it. (I think baby rice is tasty!).

Not sure where we go from here really. She normally wakes at around 6am, has boob and then I have been giving her baby rice at about 8am and more boob. Then she has copious helpings of boob throughout the day.

I don't think I want to introduce any more meals until she does hit 6 months which is 2 weeks today, but don't know how I am supposed to go about this with demand breastfeeding (if that doesn't make me sound feeble!).

Don't worry Rosieroo... it'll fall into place!! You've done so well!!! :dance:

What rice cakes is Ella eating? I've been sent Organix Apple mini ricecakes - suitable from 6 months. Don't you worry about her biting a bit off and choking? I'm a bit wary - reassure me if you can! :pray:

ps. Both Oscar and I love babyrice!!

Emilia xx

She on the Boots organic baby rice cakes - mostly she ends up chucking them on the floor for the dogs!! :lol:
I was worried about her choking to begin with, but honestly they just turn to mush. They're really soft when dribblised! Plus I read on a baby led weaning website that there is more chance of her choking when she's spoon fed than on something she's eating herself. She really enjoys them and holds them so well.

emilia said:
Thanks... I'll try.

Emilia xx

I tried and Oscar loved it. He's been kicking up a stink if there's nothing to munch. Tonight I fed him butternut and pear mix, followed by a mushy banana plus he sucked two ricecakes.... when we had our dinner, he was moaning to munch some of our food. Greedy guts!!!

Emilia xx

Rice cakes are fab!!! I also let Seren suck on any bits of fruit I'm eating (am with her and the chunks are massive) or if she shows particular ionterest I will mush it up for her (she had a strawberry a couple of weeks ago as she was raching for them - loved it). She isn't really on any set routine, its just really experimenting with different tastes and letting her tell me what she wants if that makes sense :D

I tried Ella with brocolli florets a couple of nights ago. I PMSL at her face! It was hilarious, it touched her lip and her faced scrunched up like she was being poisoned or something. :lol:

Glad he liked the rice cakes - I was really surprised as they're so bland. And as a bonus the dogs like them, so no mess on the floor!

OOOh I'll be getting some rice cakes tomorrow!

I really don't know what happened with my first two children. I think I gave them mostly Hipp or Boots Organic jars. I don't know why though? Anyway - I just love to see Oscar experiment with all the things. Since it's the start of winter here now, we're up to our eyes in citrus fruits. Whenever the kids and I sit and make our way through endless satsumas, Oscar joins in and sucks the odd segment.

Just great though - so far so good.... nothing has been rejected yet? And I'm really chuffed with myself for making all his food. :D Like I said before, the jarred stuffed here is pretty gruesome!

Emilia xx

ps... Yes, grateful for dogs too - at least I don't have to worry about anything needing hoovered or brushed up. Dogs take excellent care of that! :dance:

emilia said:
I really don't know what happened with my first two children. I think I gave them mostly Hipp or Boots Organic jars. I don't know why though? Anyway - I just love to see Oscar experiment with all the things. Since it's the start of winter here now, we're up to our eyes in citrus fruits. Whenever the kids and I sit and make our way through endless satsumas, Oscar joins in and sucks the odd segment.

Seren had some orange the other day and loved it, cried when i took it off her lol

I tried Ella with brocolli florets a couple of nights ago. I PMSL at her face!

lol, ruben wasn't convinced about broccoli either and put on a priceless face! i was a sly mummy and mixed it in with parsnip today and that did go down ok!

Oh god this morning was awful :( Food went everywhere! Ella just wanted to eat the spoon herself and then was getting stressed as there was no food on it. She screamed the place down :(

Very stressful and not very enjoyable. Think I might have been scared off again for a few weeks. Am not sure where this weaning lark is going or what to give her. It all seems so sloppy! She likes holding and eating things like her rice cakes, but fruit is really hard for her to grasp. She can't pick up banana or apple as it's too slippery but baby food seems too mushy. I've tried making the baby rice real thick but my EBM still eventually breaks it down really runny.

Rosieroo... to start off, I would sit Oscar on my lap. One arm tucked in beside me and his other arm held by my free hand... easy. That way I could feed him with little mess. Now he sits contently and propels hands and feet with wide open mouth!! :lol: :lol:

Emilia xx

I should try that then, thanks Emilia.

I just don't like feeding her this runny stuff. God I sound weird.

When can babies have toast/pasta?

I was wondering about toast this morning :think:

rosieroo said:
I should try that then, thanks Emilia.

I just don't like feeding her this runny stuff. God I sound weird.

When can babies have toast/pasta?

6 months I believe!!

Emilia xx

Hi Kina

Did you see those baby feeders that Urchin posted about? I can't find the thread sorry but they looked great. A little bit like the washing cube bags you get but they have a plastic handle so you put the apple/banana/whatever in it and they can eat the food through the mesh so they wont choke on a piece. Maybe this might help you?

I am totally baffled by what the baby can/can't eat at what age, think I'm going to have to bury my head in the Annabel Karmel book I was given when the time comes for Olivia to eat something other than my boob!

Lucy x

Coby was eating my peach with me today, he loved it.

I am going to go and get some rice cakes tomorrow.

xx

Lucy said:
Hi Kina

Did you see those baby feeders that Urchin posted about? I can't find the thread sorry but they looked great. A little bit like the washing cube bags you get but they have a plastic handle so you put the apple/banana/whatever in it and they can eat the food through the mesh so they wont choke on a piece. Maybe this might help you?

Well remembered!
The Baby Safe Feeder Thread

Another thing worth trying, thank you Lucy/Urchin :)

Tried Ella with some carrot and sweetcorn hipp stuff which she really enjoyed a few weeks ago when I tried, but she didn't want it at all. I gave her a spoon and she was happiest chomping on that instead. Maybe I should wait a couple more weeks then she'll be 6 months and I can start her with toast and pasta. :?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back