Started to feel really worried...

LouiseB

Reaction score
I'm not sure if i've mentioned this before or not, probably knowing me :roll:

Anyway, my husband has Type1 diabetes which means he jabs himself with insulin after every meal/snack.

He's not a very good diabetic as he eats whatever he wants, although he does tend to be good taking his insulin (i've tried talking to him about it and well...)

So i've been doing some reading and it's bad, really bad.

Basically his sperms cells could potentially suffer from really bad DNA damage and as a diabetic he can't repair the damage.

If it is really bad, then fertility treatments become an issue because they could be potentially forcing defective sperm to create a child and any resulting child could possibly really suffer for it.

I'm not aware of a treatment to correct the sperm.

It starting to really get me down because it feels like a very real possibility that i might never be able to have my husbands children (and i doubt he'd want me to have someone else's).

What do you think?

Oh hun, i know nothing about stuff like this but...maybe see someone like your doctor to talk things through with

and the things thats worrying you as they will know the right answers. Hope things work out would love to see you in tri 1!!! xxx

Last edited:
DO NOT THINK ABOUT THIS TILL YOU TALK TO A DOCTOR!

You'll drive yourself mental honey. :ignore:

I'm really trying not to, but he has an appointment to have a sperm screening in a couple of week so it's kind of in my mind.

I realised that DNA screening isn't part of the routine test so i'm going to have to phone them up tomorrow :roll:

HI Louise,

Didn't want to read and run. I'm not really sure about it but I wouldn't make any assumptions until you have sought professional advice. But I'd like to wish you good luck with it all. Big hugs xoxox

Hi Lou. I agree with Starfish, although I know it's hard. Def speak to your doc. I'm sure loads of peeps with diabetes have healthy kids. Hope you're ok mrs.

xxx

hi louise, i don't know too much about it either but my ex has diabetes and also injected insulin daily after eating. he has gone on to have a very happy, healthy little girl who is now 8 years old!! i do it myself but it really is not good googling these sort of things you are GUARANTEED to find some scary info, there is always something negative out there. like i say though my ex's little girl is absoloutely fine! xxx

I know a few people who have diabetes and kids, but there are loads of different kinds of diabetes, googling it would just give you a general answer and nothing specific about your hubby, easier said than done, but try not to panic till you talk to someone properly about it!

Google is evil Louise....... dont worry yourself about it and see what the Doc has to say x

Hi Louise,

My uncle is the same as your OH and has two beautiful and healthy children aged 5 and 8.

Try not to worry hun.

xx

Thanks for the reasurances ladies - i know i'm being a bit silly :)

I have done some more reading, accidently ofcourse, and although DNA damage is the main issue with diabetic men and you can't physically see DNA damage unless you are specifically testing for it - his semen analysis won't be checking for DNA damage even though it says he's a diabetic on his notes!!!

Give me strength :roll:

So now i'm waiting for a phone call again because he'll have to get DNA screening okay'd by his GP again - no wonder there is no bloody money in the Nhs all these needless referals.

i agree google is evil!!! but dnt stress yourself out, talk tothe doctor first hundreds off diabetics have healthy happy kids

I don't believe it :roll:

Spoke to the doctor and he said that he doesn't think that they would test for DNA quality until he had an initial screening done.

I pointed out that even if the initial screening test comes back perfect, that it would be no indication of his DNA quality which is what the main issue is with diabetics.

He said he knows but we'll just have to have the initial screening done and then be referred for another test afterwards.

So! Instead of one screening for everything, we need two referrals and two separate screenings one after the other :roll:

I repeat, no wonder the Nhs is skint.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back