Starfish Labour Thread - Updated baby here!

star fish

Reaction score
Oh my goodness, I'm not sure if I'm in labour but am experiencing some seriously painful contractions!

I've been having one every half an hour or so, so bad that I wake up crying and panting. I rang the hospital and they were v dismissive and obviously pointed out that they have to be much closer together. I've given up trying to sleep now, though will go back to bed to rest til the next one.

But why didnt anyone tell us that they hurt so much? ;-)

Update 3.45 pm: Its been over 12 hrs now in pain, contractions still irregular and hospital dont want me to come in, but I can barely stand, am shaking, crying, etc and am going in anyway! So I'll keep samsgirl updated but she is not at home and struggling to get logged on! So I'll be back when I can. Love you all xxxxx

Update 7am Thursday: I realise that my contractions started at around 7 pm on Tuesday, so have really been in labour now for 36ish hours with nothing but paracetamol. They did offer me pethedine at the hospital, but its the one thing I wanted to avoid as its an opiate and I hate feeling high or out of control. Needless to say I regretted that decision as the night progressed.

The pain got so bad that i began to shake and throw up with every contraction, spent the night either on my hands and knees being sick or pacing up and down desperately trying to catch my breath. It was too painful to lie down and i was swaying on my feet with tiredness when i toppled over. DH tried every single position with me to get my off my feet and eventually we discovered that sat in the glider chair with a hottie at my back was barable between contractions but i still had to get up every 7 minutes to stand through the contraction then throw up again then sit back down.

So basically a night from hell! No sleep for more than a few minutes for the last two nights. I have had several baths and they help but its awful being sick in the bath tub, really painful leaning over a bowl between your knees!

Anyway, I am now waiting for the hospital to call me anytime after 8 am to go in and have my waters broken manually. I just hope they give me an epidural asap as I can't cope for much longer........ I'm amazed quite frankly at what I have been able to tolerate so far, and yet the worst is apparently still to come....... :-(

Thank you so much for all your lovely messages of support, I will read them all properly and take enormous comfort from them when i get back from hospital later. Hopefully I will be a bit less sorry for myself too! xxxx

8 Jan: Hi all! I'm so sorry for inconsistant updates, I didnt get internet access in the hospital as too much going on and my phone not smart enough.

As you know I went into hospital first time on 3rd with painful contractions, got sent home, went back on 4th in agony but got sent home, again on 5th for induction, was already in labour, but it was incredibly slow, and had endured nearly 3 days before I finally got to epidural stage - but baby was determined not to come out and it was another 30 hours with the epidural until I was 10cm dilated. At that point the babies heart rate dipped dramatically (he really didnt want out, and he was already 13 days over due!) and they were going to take me into theatre for C section, I said I didnt want one and they said pushing would take an hour and we didnt have an hour, I said I could do it if faster if they let me, so they agreed I could try as long as I had an episiotomy and some 'gentle' help from suction cup. I pushed for England and we had him out in 10 mins flat!

Jasper Alexander Wilkinson was born at exactly 1pm on 6th January, and despite the very long labour he was perfectly healthy and weighed 7 lb 13 oz.

I needed quite a bit of stitching and was very wobbly afterwards, we weren't allowed to leave hospital for another whole day and night, but finally got home late last night and have been longing to jump on computer and update you ever since, will post some pics later today.

But first wanted to say massive thanks to Samsgirl for keeping up with me despite being away from home, and for all your messages! So many, I love you guys! Tracey its so wonderful to hear from you, and Positivity to get forwarded yours in hospital etc, all of you! Thank you xxxxx

Last edited:
Tell me about it! I was in agony and throwing up, midwife examines me and she still couldn't get a finger in my cervix! Yay for pethidine and heat patches! Try a hot waterbottle!

Fingers crossed its the start for you. Hope you manage to get some rest.xx

Have u got a tens machine? That really helped with me and starting the max dose of paracetamol as well. Good luck honey xxxx

Tell me about it! I was in agony and throwing up, midwife examines me and she still couldn't get a finger in my cervix! Yay for pethidine and heat patches! Try a hot waterbottle!

Will do, where are you up to now?

Have u got a tens machine? That really helped with me and starting the max dose of paracetamol as well. Good luck honey xxxx

I took two cocodamol at 2am, I guess I should hold off any more for now? No, dont have a tens. Wish I had now.

I cant decide whether to send my husband to work today or insist he stay home, any advice?

Does he work far away?
Are they any closer? When they get closer or the pain is worse i recommend baths.... but mine had to be hot.
. Really hot over your bump too and if it doesn't go over pour the water over at a contraction.

Xx

I do sympathise but I'm SOO excited!! Looks like baby is making his own way out! I agree with Lisa about hubby, if his work is near then maybe u could let him go but if it was me and contractions are regular, I'd want him at home.

Wow it's all too much, pinky and star on the same day :yay: xx

Does he work far away?
Are they any closer? When they get closer or the pain is worse i recommend baths.... but mine had to be hot.
. Really hot over your bump too and if it doesn't go over pour the water over at a contraction.

Xx

I'd love a really hot bath, but I do worry about him getting over heated!

He works about 30 mins away, so not too bad. Do you think this sounds like proper labour? Its really painful but contractions are only every half an hour or so

I do sympathise but I'm SOO excited!! Looks like baby is making his own way out! I agree with Lisa about hubby, if his work is near then maybe u could let him go but if it was me and contractions are regular, I'd want him at home.

Wow it's all too much, pinky and star on the same day :yay: xx
Also when i had a bath last night they eased off for an hour?

I don't reckon you'll need to be induced. Hope baby StarFish makes an appearance before the day is out. *stalk*stalk* GL hun.

Hope you're ok my lovely. Eee though! Baby starfish en route! Xx

Eeeekkkkk sounding good :)

Pls don't say they hurt I wanna think of them as butterflies dancing on my back and stomach ;) lol

Good luck keep us posted x x x

OMG it hurts - do you think i should fake how often it is to get some drugs?

Eeeekkkkk sounding good :)

Pls don't say they hurt I wanna think of them as butterflies dancing on my back and stomach ;) lol

Good luck keep us posted x x x

Sorry Sue, but apparently it is different for everyone!

Does he work far away?

Xx

I'd love a really hot bath, but I do worry about him getting over heated!

He works about 30 mins away, so not too bad. Do you think this sounds like proper labour? Its really painful but contractions are only every half an hour or so

We were told at antenatal classes that a bath was a great idea, but that you shouldn't have one if you are home alone as it might speed things up and you might not be able to get out again unaided.

Really hope you find some relief from the pain, and that things move along quickly for you. Good luck!! Xx

Fx it gets quicker for you and you can go in for drugs! X stalking you now x

I wasn't in the bath long, but it did relieve a lil bit pain. I tried a warm bath 1st and it done nothing.

I wouldn't fake it lol mine were irregular all the way through until i was admitted and put on a drop,i was sent home first time as i was only 2cm after 24hours.. if the pain gets unbareable then go in. Ur hospital might be nicer xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back