Sorry it's SO late!

Mel_

Reaction score
I thought I should try and get my story done as I've already left it almost 4 weeks!
All the books tell you how labour should be but to expect the unexpected, and this is SO true! My pregnancy wasnt "text book" I never had any morning sickness no cravings etc and my labour wasnt text book either.

I was 3 days overdue and was already a little impatient I decided to try the sex method to see if we could get things moving, that was on the sunday night. (it worked!)
I woke up at about half 7 bank holiday monday morning with pain (some people say its like period pain, I dont think it was like that, it was just pain) but for some reason it didnt even occur to me it could be labour, i got up and went to the loo and got back in bed, the pain continued but i went back to sleep.
I woke again about an hour later still having pain, my OH was still asleep, so i layed there for a while to see how long it took between pains (contractions make it sound like a squeezy kinda pain but it wasnt) they lasted for 30 seconds and came every 2 minutes and were already quite uncomfortable. Now the books all tell you to move around so I tried this, but to be honest it made me feel worse, I found the best thing for me was to lay on my side. Eventually my OH woke up and we went and had some breakfast and a cuppa and I went back up stairs because I felt like I needed the loo all the time.
I still hadnt had a "show" and my water hadnt broke and my pains were still exactly the same only gradually getting more annoying.
I tried getting in the bath, didnt seem to help much to be honest tried waking around and sitting in different positions nothing really helped.
At about 5 ish I finally had a "show" (I was expecting a blob of jelly type stuff and was suprised by how much of it there acctually was) this made me feel a lot happier because something was acctually happening, my pains remained the same, but were now more painfull (at the time I described it as wearing a pair of knickers made out of pain!) by about 6 o'clock I was getting quite destressed and paniking so we phoned the hospital, but when we told them my waters hadnt broke and my contrations were only lasting 30 seconds they told me to wait until they were lasting 60 seconds.
I waited another hour or so but because they were so frequent and had been the same for so long I was getting really upset so we phoned the hopital again and they said the same thing, by this time I was crying and not breathing properly and totally paniking and the woman on the phone seemed really unhelpfull i praticly threw the phone at my OH so he could talk to her and went back to the bathroom sobbing. Then he came in and said they had told him to bring me in and they'd have a look at me, but they'd probably send me back home.
So off we went to the hospital, my contrations were still exactly the same they examined me (which really hurts by the way) and I was 3cm (which was good news because I was expecting 1cm, so my weird contractions were doing the job all be it slowly.) things started to speed up now though, they gave me gas and air (didnt really help me much) I had pethadine (didnt even notice) in the end I had an epidural (which I recomend) it was such a relief not only because the pain stopped but also everyone had been making me walk around and I didnt want to, but now I got to stay still which was great. My waters still hadnt broke so they broke them (apperntly they were unusually tough)
I had several hundren wires and tubes conected to me and they connected a monitor to the baby's head which monitored the affect of the contractions (which were still the same length) on the baby.
I got to 10cm at about 7am tuesday morning and they left me for an hour before getting me to push, but I was very tired and I couldnt feel the contractions so it was really hard, the doctor came in after about 30-40 minutes and checked the monitior, after this point I dont know exactly what was going on, but the baby's heart rate had dropped and my blood pressue was low, so they decided to take me to theatre, I heard the word C section which was a big fear for me, and all of a sudden there were all these people disconnecting wires from me and moving me around and i was being wheeled down the corridor and I was VERY scared and paniking and I couldnt breath, they moved me onto another bed in theatre and put my legs up in stirrups people kept telling me stuff but I couldnt understand them coz I was so scared. I had an episiostomy and the doctor delivered my baby with forceps, even though I'd had an epidural this really hurt! I felt like I was being turned inside out I was acctually asking him to stop, my OH said my whole body was being pulled down the bed where the doctor was pulling the baby out.
They showed her to me then whisked her off to check her over then my OH brought her over to me while I was being stitched up, I just wanted the doctor to hurry up so I could hold my baby. When they were done they moved me onto another bed and gave me the baby to hold while I was wheeled into recovery, They helped me to latch her on so I could feed her, and as she was feeding she opened her eyes and looked up at me and I instantly fell in love with her it was the most incredible moment of my life (I recomend giving that first feed to anyone having a baby if you can even if you never plan to breast feed)
Anyway I stayed in hospital till the next day. I have loved every minute of being a mum. It was all worth it, and even though I know it hurt I really cant remember it I think it took about a week to forget and I was quite sore afterwards for a couple of weeks but I've forgotten that now too.
Shannon weighed 7lb 14oz and had loads of hair and is absoloutly gorgous! I'm really really happy and love her to bits!

:cheer: congrats hun.. lovely birth story too... :hug:

do u have any pics.. also you need a new ticker.. :cheer:

A massive CONGRATULATIONS hun sounds like you had a right nightmare but I glad all was ok in the end and you didn't need a c-section. If you get a chance I'd love to see a pic of your baby,

Congratulations babes. thanks for sharing your story. xx

Congratulations! :hug: :D

sorry you had a tough time - glad it is worth it all, good advice about the first feed, I am really looking forward to that moment :cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back