Somebody please talk sense to me!

Thats the thing jojo, I dont know what I'm doing lol
My last delivery was a twin delivery so very very different, but I and my son would more than likely not made it had it been a hb, as i say, a very different situation though xx

I'd have to agree with your OH Cosmic.

It is statistically very unlikely that you have a terrible time again BUT if God forbid you did surely you want to be in the right place??

From what I gather you have had a few "OK" deliveries and it was just the last one that was problematic? I assume the consultant led care is purely a precaution though and not because one awful delivery means you are more likely to have another?

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I had two wonderful textbook singleton deliveries, then a horrific twin delivery last time (arm presentation, cord prolapse, maternal tachycardia and haemmorrage)

I must admit that I do feel more comforatble in a hospital, I like knowing all of those people are about. I think if we can come to some sort of arrangement about the monitoring, it would be ok. Otherwise its another strapped to a bed with an epi, which is fine but i really wanted my last labour to be less medical, less intervention and more how nature intended iykwim x

I had two wonderful textbook singleton deliveries, then a horrific twin delivery last time (arm presentation, cord prolapse, maternal tachycardia and haemmorrage)

I must admit that I do feel more comforatble in a hospital, I like knowing all of those people are about. I think if we can come to some sort of arrangement about the monitoring, it would be ok. Otherwise its another strapped to a bed with an epi, which is fine but i really wanted my last labour to be less medical, less intervention and more how nature intended iykwim x

this is wat i am going to push for cos like u this will be my last and i wnat to be how i want it not strapped to a bed :-/,my labours are usualy about 4 hours long and its only the last bit i had a problem with re the placenta not playing ball and i dont knoww at to do about that either to have the injection to help it along or not i realy dont know bcos i think last time i was given it to early but i was in so much shock cos she was coming quite quikly i realy cant remember n was high on gas n air lol 0o0o i dont know,and il be consultant led due to high risk, i think eevryone is wen they are classed as high risk x

I think if you are medically OK, at no higher risk of suffering a repeat of any of the above (which I am not going to Google :shock:) and you firmly tell people what your wishes are from now until you have the baby then you should be able to get your non medical birth but can have the back-up of help should you need it!

xxxxxx

And hello - why have you not moved over to Tri 2 missy? :)

xxxxxx

Personally, I would urge you to have a home birth. But Im biased as this will be the route I take next time. Constant fetal monitoring hasn't shown to be any more effective than every 15 minutes. They won't accept you into the birthing unit. Even if they do, they'll wait until you turn up in labour and send you to the normal labour ward.

In no other situation will you have 2 midwives at your bedside the entire time. They will know all the signs to look for with fetal heart rate, your heart rate, meconium and any chance of rupture and so will probably go with caution and take you to hospital if they at all feel you or your LO are at risk. You'll be more relaxed at home, as apposed to straped to the bed and so labour will more likely be calmer and more relaxed.

The woman I sit next to in my childminding course had a hbac 2 years ago and her neighbour did the other week. She said it was the best decision she ever made. Like I say, Im biased as this is what I want as well but I can't see any negatives.

If you don't want to be strapped to the bed they can't physically force you, you are 100 % able to choose who cares if they don't like it. If I ever have another one I will have a wbac if there is a pool free or a hwbac they can't make you do anything you don't want to do just make sure you stand your grounds and say that you don't consent to something then they can't do it who care if they don't like it the risk of rupture is so tiny x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

What went wrong at your last pregnancy? Depending what the reason was they may or may not let you.
Sincerely if it was me I would go for a planned c section. Nicely planned with a spinal, in and out of theater and with your baby is 40 min.
Your last c section was so traumatic because it was an emergency I suppose. Not every section is a traumatic experience though so if you have to go through that way again you can make sure that is a positive experience (depending on the hospital though I suppose)

Anyway I don't really know how big is the risk of uterine rupture of a vabc but as I witnessed one of those as a student (it wasn't even a vabc :shock:) I wouldn't dare to try it myself. ( I will spare you of the outcome of that particular uterine rupture...)
You are really brave if you go down that route, I would have been terrified. If your consultant says that's possible though it means that you are in good hands :)

I would stay away from birthing center really as as small the chance is sth to go wrong again i wouldn't take any chance really with my precious bean.

The risk of uterine rupture is 1 in 200 or 0.5%. But Ive heard that being compared to the same as a first time mothers risk because, as you've proved, they have no idea how a mothers body will react during labour. :)

i am going to speak to my mw and consultant to see if i can go int he pool or bath in early stages if am at hossy in early stages as im usualy about 4-5 cms wen i arrive at hospital. i am more at risk of a rupture due to it happening before and also i have already had 6 births and it becomes more common then but i can have a chat with mw and consultant about it all no harm in asking, i dont want to do anything that will put my baby or me at risk just bcos i want to be stubborn and get wat i want, if i had been at home with maddison i almost certainly would have died due to bleeding excesivly (sp)as they pumped it spurted out :-/ it was a very frightning excperience but here i am doing it all again jeez i must be bloody mental lol x

Thanks everyone, it's given me lots to think about. I'm going to chat with my mw and consultant to get their advice too.
I need to get oh on side if I do go for a hbac as he's very anxious x

I found this today, it has lots of useful info including stats on things like how many women gave birth off the bed etc.

This is my local trust, but it looks like they are all on there.

Definitely talk to your midwife. I work as a midwife and in our hospital we have started to use wireless monitoring so that vbac women can use the pool if they want to and it is amazing, so you should definitely check with your hospital to see if they have started to offer this too!! At the end of the day it is your choice honey, you don't need to be strapped to a bed, even if they don't have wireless monitors they can set you up so you can mobilise around the room! Xxx

:doh: I just worked out what vbac means. I think this baby is sucking my brain out! :rofl:

Definitely talk to your midwife. I work as a midwife and in our hospital we have started to use wireless monitoring so that vbac women can use the pool if they want to and it is amazing, so you should definitely check with your hospital to see if they have started to offer this too!! At the end of the day it is your choice honey, you don't need to be strapped to a bed, even if they don't have wireless monitors they can set you up so you can mobilise around the room! Xxx

0o0o0o im gonna ask my sister about this, i think with me they want to be putting a drip thingy in right away but can i go in the pool with one of those on? xx

I had a terrible experience with my first labour and delivery also. Baby was distressed, pre-eclampsia, failed ventouse, episiotomy, my cord snapped when trying to deliver the placenta, had a massive bleed and needed a blood transfusion etc etc - not a nice experience lol! :shock: I was told from day 1 with my second pregnancy that I was classed as high risk, no choice what so ever but to have a hospital birth, (would have been to scared to stay at home tbh) and would need constant monitoring in labour, on a drip and hormones to help my uterus contract to reduce the risk of bleeding afterwards. I was so disappointed as after such a traumatic and clinical experience the first time round, I was hoping for the total opposite and would have loved a water birth with my second baby. As it happened, even though my blood pressure was very high again from about 38wks, by the time I got to the hospital I was already 8-9cm and my son was born 1hr 13mins later, only a bit of gas and air, completely straight forward and not a single stitch so I escaped being strapped down for too long. My midwife was amazing and she encouraged me to get into any position I wanted, on or off the bed.

With this pregnancy I was hoping that because it was so straight forward last time I wouldnt still be classed as high risk and might get my water birth but when I asked the m/w she still wanted to refer me to a consultant as was it straightforward last time because it was or because I had the drip, monitoring etc? :wall2: Hoping when I go for my appt. I might get way with not being classed as high risk but we shall see.

Sorry for the novel length reply lol! I definately feel safer in hospital but still believe that it doesnt have to be so clinical. Definately ask about mobile monitoring and even if that isnt an option there is still no need for you to be stuck on a bed. Ive worked with ladies that have needed constant monitoring and have been in any position they wanted (within reason lol). Good luck with everything xx

What I find strange to understand so please humour me , as we all say to each other ,each pregnancy is a fresh new egg, new sperm it's a new fresh chance of life, so why do we all - doctors and mums - expect first time round problems to recur , just a thought I wanted to put in the mix. It does confuse me rather.

Last edited:
I don't think I expect the same to happen again, I wouldn't worry at all if there wasn't a risk (albeit very small) risk of uterine rupture.
It annoys me, stupid c section has ruined my plans x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back