smoking

BumbleTumble

Reaction score
hello again

sorry for making yet another thread, but i cant find any recent ones about smoking/stopping smoking

i really really want to stop, a couple of friends have said that they smoked throughout pregnancy and it was fine, but i really dont want to take any risks whatsoever.

i only got the positive tests yesterday, one today, and am already finding quitting soooo hard! im doing ok, have only had 4-5 in the last 2 days. but want to stop totally.

will nicotine replacements like patches affect the baby? id rather stop completley and go 'cold turkey', but dont think i can do that :(

anyone here been through this?

xxx

Hiii :wave:

I was a very heavy smoker before falling pregnant and managed to quit just after my 12 week scan. Please don't listen to your friends about it being fine. Yes in some cases people are lucky and their baby is perfectly healthy but it can seriously increase the chances of problems with baby such as asthma, jaundice, stillbirth and cotdeath too.
I remember my Nan saying to me that she smoked all through her pregnancies but then went on to say that the only reason she did smoke through them is because they weren't told of the implications and risks of smoking through pregnancy back then and went on to say that she should have had 4 children instead of 3, she had a stillbirth with one. Now who knows whether smoking would have caused that, but it can't have helped.

Anyway I spoke to my midwife about my smoking and concerns and she sent someone out to come and see me once a week who gave me nicotine replacements (which are fine to use btw) and she did a carbon monoxide test aswell. I found this massively helpful. Do you know if your midwife provides anything like this?
I found that my 12 week scan was the kick up the bum I needed though, I'd been on nicotine replacements until then and had managed to cut down but after seeing my baby up there kicking about on the screen I felt farrr too guilty knowing I was feeding that cigarette to my baby too.

Lol sorry for rambling, just thought I'd share my experience with you and I hope some of it is of some help, but of course everyone is different and different things will work for other people. But I defo think it's worth talking to your midwife about.
Good Luck with it hun :) xx

Last edited:
thankyou for sharing that, it was really helpful :)

i havnt even seen a gp yet, it being the weekend and all :(
i will definatley ask about nicotine replacements, and the gp confirming the pregnancy (i still think its too good to be true) will probably be a kick up the bum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back