smoking!!!

I was quite a heavy smoker (20+ per day) when i found out i was pregnant. The first day i found out i was in such a state of shock and so scared about the whole thing, that i smoked quite a few cigs. The next day i had two and that has really been it.

What has really helped me to stop is that i have already suffered 2 miscarriages and even though i wasnt smoking with either of them, i blamed myself for doing something to cause the miscarriages, so i know now if i continue to smoke and something bad happens, i will blame myself even more.

I have been trying the water drinking thing every time i crave some nicotine and it does seem to be working (its probably the rushing to the toilet every 10 minutes that stops you thinking about smoking though!!)

Hi JacqWish

I am due the same day as you and I feel exactly the same about smoking. I have never had a miscarriage (touch wood) but I am sooooo nervous and would blame myself if anything were to go wrong. I knew the minute I found out I was pregnant that I would never smoke again, and I have stuck to it. It's not that hard actually, not as hard as I thought.

If you take up smoking after your baby is born again, the smoke will be on your clothes, and the baby can breathe these in. This seriously increases the risk of cot death, makes me feel quite sick when i see women with new borns in pubs, the obviously dont realize the risks.

the obviously dont realize the risks.

Or sadly they do but just don't think it will happen to them.

The girl that I was talking about before who smoked through her pregnancies told me that her partner said all the warnings were rubbish. With that sort of caring attitude it's no wonder she carried on smoking, she wasn't the smartest of people.

A recent study has shown that it may not infact afect your baby now, but it may affect their children! My mum smoked with both me and my sister and neither one of us has any probs at all! she is 29 and i am 25. Although i admire the ones who do give up, its difficult to go out at all and not be around someone who smokes, as passive smoking is proven to be worse! I like to go to the pub on a sunday lunch time, although have not been drinking!

Hundreds of women have given birth over the years with no scans or advanced tests and live to have healthy children. My midwife didnt smoke with her child, but yet he has bad asthma, all risks could happen to anyone, its an unfortunate fact of life.

This is like old people who say 'I've been smoking 40 a day for 50 years and it never did me any harm'.
The fact is that it can harm both you and your child and is it really worth the risk? I'm sure we all know of someone who smoked and drank or did drugs throughout their pregnany and the baby was born fine, but there are a hell of a lot of babies that are affected and unfortunatly many die as a result!
We have a choice if we do these things or not, our unborn babies don't have that choice and its our responsibility to give them the best chance in life.
Think of those unfortunate women who have disabled or still born babies through no fault of their own, and there you are puffing on a ciggerette deliberatly putting your child at risk.
I'm sorry to come off sounding harsh, but I smoked 30 a day for the last 5 years but as soon as my partner and I decided to try for a baby I quit instantly as I wouldn't dream of smoking through pregnancy.
If your finding it hard, try looking up some stories or pictures of the harm it can do to your child on the internet or leaflets and carry them around with you, and everytime you want to spark one up, look at it!

Right girls....I am going to start this thread again.

With all good intentions, I was yep, no probs, I'm giving up......it is driving me mad. I stopped without a problem and actually found it not so difficult. Except, the hormones are something else - mixed in with the stopping of smoking I am turning into a monster. I'm completely depressed.

I'm reading Alan Carr's EasyWay at the mo (2nd attempt in a year) but it just makes me want a ciggie more. I've called a hypnotherapist - initial consult next Tuesday and I've called the local NHS stop-smoking in Pregnancy lady....she come's to your house and chats etc.....which I think I really need more than anything.

Hubbie still smokes but doesn't near me at all and he's been very good. Doesn't leave any fag packs around or ash-trays etc.....but, he's killing me. As well as him not being able to understand a hormonal pregnant woman (what man does) and now I hate him more coz his life hasn't altered one bit.....he can carry on as normal. I'm going mad. Of course I don't hate him at all....this makes me more upset coz he's relying on me to give up and bub's is too. When I say give up - I have but there have been days where I've slipped one or two in my mouth....still not good enough as far as I'm concerned!

Please tell me that someone else out there is feeling as shit as I am - makes me feel like I'm going to be a terrible mother!

Sass
x

I would never smoke while being pregnant....it's not good for the baby, or you.....like even the other night while at my cousins (thru marriage) graduation ceremony I would leave the area when people were smoking, I'm just very picky and don't want to take any chances on my baby getting sick or smoke in to their system....

You'll all be pleased to know that I have completely stopped cold turkey and I'm fine with it. I don't know - something clicked on the weekend and I've been free for 3 days now......it is such a great feeling and now I'm starting to enjoy being pregnant.

Sass

Good for you Sasswa, your over the worst of it, the first three days is when the nicotine is leaving the system, trust me its a lot easier from now on!

I'm glad the thread has been re-opened. I am a smoker and finding it VERY difficult to give up. The day I found out I was pregnant, I smoked. The day and week after I didn't smoke anything.

Then because I felt so low I had a fag (easiest thing to do) and started again. After a few days went off them, couldn't stand the smell or anything, not even on OH or in the pub. But now I'm back to smoking.

I know everything that can happen to my poor little baby, and I have had 2 m/c's, but for some reason I can't stop. I got past 3 days, then 4, then started again.

I feel exteremely guilty but I'm scared my depressive low moods when coming off the nicotine could effect the baby until it is 12 weeks old(gestation)? Depression runs in my family (I have it on and off for years, mum has it , grandad who commited suicide) and I know I can give it to my baby. My mum passed it to me whilst pregnant with me. I have an 85% chance of giving it to my baby if I suffer with it during my pregnancy, and 50% chance if I don't suffer with it during my pregnancy.

My baby will more than likely have asthma because I have it, even though mildly. probably excema, congenital dislocation of the hips and probably now depression, all because I have them.

I don't know if it's fact or not but I'm so scared that if I really put myself through the hell of quitting after smoking heavy for all these years then I will becausing me and the baby more stress whilst the brain is developing and the baby will have a higher risk of depression? But I DO know that my baby will more than likely have depression whilst growing up, adolescent or adult.

Do I have a good reason to worry or am I making up excuses so I can be selfish? I have cut down from 20-30 a day to about 3-7 a day. is this good enough?

This book is supposed to be amazing if you want to give up smoking.
My brother smoked from aged 14 until he read this at 31. He hasn't had a cigarette since. A few people from work have had the same results.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 98-9285263

I think you may need to cut and past this link.

Apparently it's very easy to read and has amazing results - have a look at the reviews on Amazon.

Good luck everyone.
Lucyx

Sami,

You MUST go out and buy this book. There are a few different versions, I've got the How To Stop Smoking Permanently.....

I read this before I was pregnant but thought I had to stop smoking before I started reading it....nup. He says, continue to smoke when you read it (smoker's live on fear of giving up or never having a fag again, so hence I stopped reading the book that time round). I have had loads of friends that gave up by reading his books as well.

After falling pregnant, decided I better start reading it again and stick to it. Yes, I did have some fags whilst reading it initially. And don't worry, I know how you feel - guilt and tears was just part of the parcel......after a week of reading it (only on the train to and from work), I got up again and tried to give up but you know, it is sooooo easy. You just don't won't to.....and you know the best thing, I don't even think of being pregnant because I think that just adds to your worry. And finally......I am starting to really enjoy the pregnancy and getting excited. Guilt free!!!

Just keep trying darl.....small steps. Initially I just did by the hour (eg. got up in the morning and said to myself "if I can just make it to work without one"...then that makes you feel better so you say "if I can just make it to lunch"......and before you know it, you've done one day.....SMALL STEPS!).....

Let us know how you get on!

Sass

thanks for your reply - I was hoping to stay feeling sick from fags but this book seems like a good chance of workuing!! I'll look into buying a copy Thank you guys xxx

We both smoke roll-ups and, er, other stuff, but I'm booked into a quit smoking sess at the doctors next week as I've just found out I'm pregnant and he'll only go so far as to mostly roll up and smoke in the kitchen, but will not quit. We live in a tiny tiny flat with his son and I don't know how I'm going to cope.

I just wanted to wish those of you who are trying to give up LOTS OF LUCK!
To those who just cant do it, please keep trying, just think of other issues like cot death and asthma, which is many more times likely to occur in those who smoke.
I have seen the placenta of a mum who smoked 5 a day through out pregnancy, it was absolutley tiny, surely the baby cant get all the oxygen and nutriton needed???
Good Luck!
Hels xx

catherine23

Hey are you able to tell what you are having yet?

Hello girls!!!!!

Just write to say I have stopped smoking on wednesday. I know, I took my time but at least I am trying now!!!! Did not have a fag at all, find it difficult at times, especially when my partner smokes next to me and does not want to go outside or in another room!!!
I am using the losanges to help and you are supposed to use 9 a day for the first 6 weeks. I am using between 3 and 5 a day so it is not too bad. I tried several times to stop and I know my weakest point is the second week so if I feel I need a fag, I'll write again and you tell me not to do it, ok? lol
Well, wish me good luck cause I really want this baby to have the best chances to be healthy but I know that even with a real reason and motivation, this will be hard: friday tonight and my cravings are a bit stronger everyday :evil: :x !!!!!!

Hi ladies, I think my time on PF is naturally coming to a close.

The days of chatting to some of you in the wee hours when doing the night feeds are now long gone as the boy sleeps straight through.

The mornings of grabbing a coffee and half an hour on here whilst he naps are dead and buried. I can't remember the last time he had a daytime nap!

Since this quest to be a top spammer I just can't keep up. There was a thread started the other day asking if someone should change their bed sheets and I thought "Really? You're asking THAT?" (ha ha no offence Alice...for 'twas you!) and that was the point when I thought "I've really not got time for this". I'm finding myself taking at least an hour, if not more to catch up every couple of days and it's just too much. I don't comment much, just read and then do read and think "that's an hour of my life I'm not going to get back!"

So... My beautiful gorgeous PF friends who have been such a huge part of my life, I will bid you farewell. I've got lots of you on facebook so look forward to your updates on there.

Sending you all lots of love at Christmas. I'll hopefully speak to you all again when I can convince Shaun to put some sperm in me and make Baby Ray #2.

I will miss you all terribly.

Lots of love,

Gem xxx

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member