smoking!!!

Lisa J

Reaction score
Hi
just wondered if anyone else has found it really hard to stop smoking?

I really want to stop but it is soo hard, i get so upset and stressed all the time so all i want is a cig. i just wondered if anyone has got any good advice to help stop. i know so many people that have smoked all the way through ther pregnancy and the baby has been ok that i find it really hard even though i know its not worth the risk and the damage it can do, i have always said if i ever get PG then i will stop straight away but i just can't seem to do it!
Any advice would be great
lisa
xx

Hi Lisa,

Im still a smoker too, and am the same as you. My partner smokes to which makes it hard, I also know many people that have smoked through preg and had no probs at all. My midwife told me it could cause early miscarriage in the first 12 weeks, and could make the baby smaller (but not the head) when it is born.

I was hoping being preg was going to make me feel really sick everytime i smoked so i would just stop, but it doesnt!!

Natalie x

Thanks for replying
it soooo hard!!!! i stopped for a few days before when i first found out, but had loads of probs with my other half so started again and haven't been able to stop this time. i thought i would feel realy sick aswell but i don't!!!!

Hiya

I guess Im one of the lucky ones, as with all my children I quit smoking as soon as I found out with no problem at all. This time I had infact given up about 2 months before i found out I was pregnant due to heart palpitations..Definately feel better...

Dont beat yourself up about it though, as I know loads of woman that have smoked through the whole pregnancy...had normal & healthy babies...But I just couldnt do it.

Good luck with your giving up.

Ragna xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi

I have just discovered I am pregnant and gave up straight away because I thought if I dont do it straight away, I never will. It's not been that hard even though I am constantly gagging for a cig, because when I really want one I just think how guilty I would feel if anything happened, I would just think it was my fault. It depends how you look at it too because I have a friend who smoked throughout her pregnancy and her baby was above average weight. I think it is a personal thing and if you feel ok with it then do it, it's just that I couldn't.

Kim xx

i really wish i could just give up its driving me mad!!!!!

Hi

How about cutting down have you tried that? If you could cut down gradually you may be able to stop altogether. It is a matter of willpower and you know you can do it you just have to think positively.

Good luck :D

Kim xx

A guide for pregnant women who want to stop smoking
Pregnancy and smoking

Most women who smoke during pregnancy know that it can be harmful to their unborn baby. That’s why many of them try to quit or at least cut down. As many smokers know, it’s not that easy, but it’s important for you and your baby to stop completely. People say that giving up is difficult but it may be easier than you think.

For most people smoking becomes a habit, a part of everyday routine. If you are bored, it helps pass the time.

"The first thing you do when you’re doing nothing is light up a fag."

You may be wary of trying to quit because you’ve seen others become irritable when they tried.

"Sometimes my husband throws the packet at me to shut me up! I just get that raggy!"

Or you might wonder how you can make the effort when your partner or friends smoke.

I’d say to him, “But why are you smoking? You know I’m trying to stop.” and he’d say, “Aye, you’re trying to stop smoking, not me”.

You need to feel confident that you can stop smoking and now is a good time to think about your health. If you’re a smoker, giving up smoking is the most important step you can take to improve your health.

By giving up smoking during pregnancy, your chances of having a miscarriage, a stillborn or low birthweight baby are greatly reduced. But it’s not just the baby who benefits - you do too.

Stopping smoking

Try to get support, from your partner, or a close friend, or a member of your family who you can talk to at difficult times. It may help to find someone who’s also trying to give up, or someone who’s already stopped smoking.

Your midwife, GP and Health Visitor will support you too. They will offer you encouragement and information. Ask for their help if you need it. They understand that it might be hard for you to stop.

You need that back-up all the time, until you’re 100% free of it yourself.

You may get cravings for a cigarette, but they don’t last long. It might help you if you can find something to do to take your mind off it.

A craving will last a few minutes - it’s a sensation that goes through you and you think “Oh I need a cigarette”. I just had to do something, like have a lollipop.

"You get a spotless home when you’re giving up - all that housework!"

"Tried going for long walks because I hardly ever smoke when I’m out walking."

Work out what helps you most.

"It used to be miserable not having a cigarette after a meal, but now I have a coffee."

Remember your reasons for wanting to stop smoking.

Plan ahead to cope with difficult times.

"I couldn’t go day by day, I had to go hour by hour to keep myself off it."

"The first time I went to the pub and didn’t have a fag, I came home and, see the next morning, I felt dead chuffed! I was really pleased with myself that I’d managed it."

Tips for stopping

"I used to light a cigarette and leave it in an ashtray to burn down to the very bottom."
Take each day at a time - or each hour at a time
Get support from your family or a close friend to help keep you going
Think of distractions when tempted to smoke - plan ahead so that you feel confident you can cope
Phone Smokeline, which has helped thousands of people to stop, for advice and a free booklet (tel. 0800 848484)
Remind yourself of the benefits of not smoking
Remember your reasons for wanting to give up smoking.
"I went to bed early - I was in bed by 9 o’clock at night, so that I couldn’t have a fag."

Stopping smoking is worth it

Try to keep in mind that giving up is positive. Even if you do return to smoking, don’t think you’re a failure. Work out why you started smoking again and how you can cope with this next time.

Decide to stop again.

Ask for help and support from people you know.

"I think you need to be encouraged to stop smoking, not bullied into it because that way you just tend to get the hairs at the back of your neck up."

THINKING ABOUT YOUR SMOKING

Smoking And Me – Personal Diary
Create a Smoking Diary with the following headings for each day:

Time: Why did I smoke? How did I feel about it?
Total number of cigarettes smoked today
How do I feel about the number I have smoked today?
Which cigarettes could I have done without?

Smoking And Me – Good and Bad
Take time to think about the following questions. Write down the answers, if that helps.
What’s good about smoking?
What’s bad about smoking?
What would I like to change about my smoking?
How could I start to do this?
What help do I need?

Hi guys, havent been around for a while as just come back from honeymoon. On the smoking side of things Id planned that going away to a hot country I would give up. It didnt work but then all of a sudden I started to feel really bad and sicky in the evening, still smoking my hubby said (who doesnt smoke and never has) maybe the cigs are causing it. So the next day I didnt have any and sure enough the sicky feeling went away. Yay we thought we'd cracked it. I had one cig a day but just left it in the ashtray to burn away having a few drags every now and then.
But lucky old me now i feel sick all night and its not the cigs. One thing I do know though is if i start again it'll worse.
But i do feel better for it as ive been trying to give up for ages.

Good luck to all else whose giving up.
xxx

I'm a former 20-a-day'er.
I found out I was pregnant the day before new Years eve, went to a party new years eve and had a few sneaky drags on my husband's fag but felt really bad about it! Then stopped altogether, a new years resolution, new baby on the way and all!
I still find it hard at times, mostly when my husband's home because he still smokes, although I absolutely hate it if he's been down the pub and gets into bed smelling of beer and cigarettes. Really turns my stomach now even though I love him to bits! And if I get the smell of smoke on me I feel contaminated! :shock:
I have been told that newborn babies of smoking mothers can get nicotine withdrawal symptoms once they're born, making them more irritated and whingey. Don't know how true that is...
Personally i didn't find it as hard as I had expected, as they say take each day at a time, and lots of luck to ya!

I am finding it incredibly hard to quit smoking too. My dr told me that if I can't quit to at least cut back as much as possible. It's hard to quit when there are things to stress out about. I have cut back to less than half a pack, and I only take a couple puffs off of the cigarette when I do light up. Good luck to you, and to me. I want my baby to have every chance at being healthy. Smoking is a bit selfish on my part, but I am trying.

Malinda

Hi!

I am finding it hard too! i cut back fags from 13 to 4 a day but with recent stress it has been higher! when i had my morning sickness(for 2 weeks) i did not fancy any, which was great! but now it has gone, I am finding it hard to cut back. i have a stressful job and life at home can be quite stressful too so fags are my only way to relax a bit ( although i know it does not!) but i would feel so guilty if anything went wrong because of this.

You only had morning sickness for 2 weeks too?? whew, I was thinking maybe something was wrong with me because I only had it for 2 weeks as well. And I didn't want to smoke then either it stunk and tasted bad, but now it's like it was before. kind of wish i still had the morning sickness that way I wouldnt want to smoke.

I know it's been mentioned about some people smoking through their pregnancy and nothing happening - but what about afterwards and the increased risk of cot death, asthma etc?

I know a girl who smoked all through her first pregnancy and had no complications apart from that the baby was early. The child is now 4 and is the same size as another couple's two year old - she looks like one of those lollipop children with a massive head and tiny body. During the girls 2nd pregnancy she again smoked, but lost the baby at around 4 months. During her 3rd pregnancy she smoked and again gave birth early, time will tell about this baby.

What amazed me about this woman is that she was forever talking about how she couldn't eat this, couldn't eat that (because it would be bad for the baby) yet she was pumping thousands of toxic chemicals into her unborn child's body.

Surely the worry of having an extra risk of cot death would be enough to stop anyone from smoking?

Give it up for your baby's sake.

yes i did not have much sickness, in fact i was never sicked but felt sick. But it was great for smoking though, did not fancy any and when my partner was smoking i hated the smell! i kind of wish that could happen again just for that but i did not really enjoy feeling sick ( who does?) anyway i will have to try to cut back as much as possible. anybody knows if you can chew nicotine gum or something when you are pregnant? my brother told me to drink a big glass of water in one go each time i fancy a fag, apparently it works. i will let you know :D

my brother told me to drink a big glass of water in one go each time i fancy a fag, apparently it works. i will let you know
:lol: got to be worth a try

Hi all,

Giving up has been really hard for me. Luckily I was advised to give up early in my pregnancy. This really was good advice as I have spent the last 4 months experiencing so much grief that I would never have given up had I waitred until then.

Also, my man has been a real star. He gave up too. I suspect he still smokes, but he hides it well. And we keep a away from smokey bars and restaurants. Further, we don't allowed anyone to light up in our home, on pain of death, which helps lots.

Best of luck to everyone trying to stop. Just know that when you do you will feel a million dollars.

Jane

http://www.backtothebasics.co.uk/pregnancytools/[/url]

i am finding it very hard to give up!
i have cut down from 20 a day to 10 and i plan to cut that by half in a couple of weeks, its just so hard!

Its a really bad point to go by mums that have given birth to healthy babies. How do you what they are going to suffer from thoughout their teenage years and adulthood. Their very hightened risk of lung cancer, surley that doesnt show at birth. Many people that smoke their babies are born with undeveloped lungs, and very usually are premature babies which have undevelped lungs anyway. I know it is hard but you body is your babies home now. Your baby is smoking with you, try picturing a fag in your new borns mouth. Nicoteen is a drug and you baby will become addicted like you. The oxygen in your babys blood is reduced drematically when smoking. Studies have also found that children born from smoking mother very often have ADHD, they are hyperactive and I quote "It was found that the carboxyhemoglobin levels (hemoglobin that is carrying carbon monoxide instead of oxygen) was concentrating in the developing fetus reaching twice the levels of that in the mother"

Try hypnotheropy its a great way to kick the habbit and they will teach you ways of relaxation so you will no longer need a fag to relax.

Yeah I know people who have used hypnotherapy and never lit up again. Personally I gave up as soom as my partner and I started trying. I red a lot of horror stories about other peoples experiences and knew I could not risk harming my baby with something like smoking. I used to chew normal gum and I started doing a Winni the Pooh Cross Stitch for the babys bedroom to keep my hands occupied which I have found to be a real help, as I look at it and get excited about the baby and I know how worthwhile it is. I wouldnt dream of smoking now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back