Slings and things, baby wearing, mai tei advice.

violet13

Reaction score
Hello,
I've been using a stretchy with my little boy and until recently it was perfect he then escaped it no idea how I've made it tighter and a bit looser but it's not working so I've ordered a mai tei after using a friends for the day it was brilliant. Just wondering if other mums have used one and how you rate them and also what you dress baby in for winter baby wearing :) thanks xxx

Hi

Stretchy wraps claim to be good from birth to 3 (35lbs) but they really aren't, it's such a lie lol.
By the time a baby is 4-6 months, most will be too heavy - the stretchy fabric sags under the weight and it's impossible to get a good tight fit.

Personally I prefer woven wraps to Mei Tais, but I know lots of people prefer MTs so it's personal preference.

With dressing, I would use socks and babylegs (baby leg warmers, lots of sites sell them, mine were Babylegs (actual brand name) but these days there are lots of brands to choose from).
And then either trousers or a thick babygrow on and maybe a thin jacket or cardigan over the top.
I didn't put too many layers on her, but I used a wrap and triple-layer carries, with a Mei Tai there is only one layer of fabric and gaps at the sides etc, you can't cover them the same as with a wrap, so you'd be best putting lots of layers on (like vest, top, cardigan & lightweight jacket). In my experience bulky padded coats or snowsuits don't work well with slings as it's hard to wrap over them, so only put them in things like that if it's really cold, otherwise a few layers works better.

You can buy coats especially for babywearing in, but tbh I tended to wear a long sleeve top, wrap the baby, then put one of her dad's zip-up hoodies on and zip it up over us both lol. That worked fine. (and wear gloves when it's cold).

Thanks Hun, I put thick socks on him, thick all in one joggy bottoms but with feet and a cardigan and hat and mitts it was fun going out today with it, I really like the mai tei it works so well much better than my stretchy wrap :) xxx

I babywear but couldn't get on mai teis but use wraps and ssc. When I've got my lg in ssc I put her in one of these as its not to bulky and keeps her warm. If I wrap her I tend to put her in babygrow, cardigan, baby legs or moccasin and a hat. If your interested in trying other carriers try your local sling library.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 13
Thanks Hun,
He's going to very wrapped up today the wind is appalling....I'm safe to carry him in bad winds right? I find if I use my pram it can easily get tugged out of my hands or in the wrong direction, he's going in something just like you've posted its not too thick it's actually perfect for him he loved the mei tai yesterday I even zipped my jacket up around him but he still looked out he enjoyed it a lot and we've got the position right too I'm rather proud of myself for getting on so well with it feels v secure and he really likes it :) I do miss my stretchy but it just wasn't safe anymore sadly so selling it to a new mum xxx

We got in the wind as we have dogs so I don't get a bad weather reprieve! Be careful when zipping him in your jacket that he doesn't get it to hot. I wish I could get on better with mei tais as there are some beautiful ones about.

I know you can have a mei tai edited to suit what you want it's finding someone to do it that's the hard part xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back