Slightly worried newbie

M440

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here (registered about 2 mins ago.). My name's Emma, I'm 21 and recently discovered I'm pregnant. After getting over the shock (and not very happy reception from family.) I'm quite happy about it all now. My other half is over the moon.

Got my dating scan tomorow as I don't have a clue about my dates/last period etc however, at my first widwide appointment a few weeks back she took some blood samples and ticked off a list of all the tests they were going to do. One of these was an HIV/hep B test which the midwife assured me was standard practise so I had no reason not to agree with it. However, since then I've discovered that this might go on my records and affect future mortgage/health insurance policies etc. My mum had a baby 4 years ago and she refused the test because of this. I'm just wondering if it's the same now or if things have changed since then? Also, how do I go about changing it if it could affect future policies? The midwife mentioned none of the above to me.

Any help to shed some light on this would be great, I'm slightly panicing about things!

Congratulations and please don't panic, you should be avoiding stress right now.
How far pregnant are you?

I'm sure it can't affect things that much, when I applied for my mortgage we had to prove our income with payslips and P60's and our employers had to confirm but that was all.
We didn't have a medical test for our mortgage.

I don't know how it works with Health Insurance but at your age you should have no problem getting insurance.
I'm sure as it's a standard test during pregnancy it's not like you had a one night stand and you're unsure if you have HIV. The insurance company should accomodate standard testing into the equation.

Try to relax and enjoy your pregnancy.

Charm X

we already have a mortgage on a 1 bed flat so we will soon be looking to move and get another mortgage so Horacio (nickname for baby) will have his/her own room. I guess the best thing to do is ask but I'll be sooo hacked off if it does go down on my medical record. Since discovering I'm pregnant all my tact skills and politcal correctness has gone out of the window....I just let rip on whatever happens to be the subject haha!

Not a clue how far along I am, midwife suspects I'm 6 weeks (saw midwife approx 6 weeks ago), I'll find out at the scan tomorrow which I'm also panicing about. There could be no baby in there....or there could be 2 nestled in together or (most worryingly for me at the mo) there could be a baby in there but it could be dead and just hasn't come out yet. My mum had 2 miscarriages when I was a teen and its always in the back of my mind that it's dead even though I know it's highly unlikely, I just can't shift it from my mind.

you dont have to have the test or i wasn told i didnt but i suggest you do for your babys sake:)

The tests are done as matter of caution now, and I really dont think it will go against you?

You can refuse the tests, but is important for your babys sake to know all is ok..

My sis freaked out after her tests, she didnt know what they tested for and she was paranoid for weeks waiting for results-her ex boyfriend cheated on her and she convinced herself she was HIV. she was bordering on hysterics, crying all the time, and panic attacks until the results came back clear!!! It wasnt good for her or the baby

Being pregnant is a worrying time, do we ever stop worrying??!!! xxx

nope never stop worrying at all:( need to though coz it aint good:)

I am pretty sure that just having the test doesn't affect health insurance, mortgages etc etc.
However, if, heaven forbid, a test for HIV is positive then this could affect that kind of stuff.
I would still say best to know....
Hxxx

i have read up on this myself and in no way does it affect any future insurance policies. I think it did years ago, but not anymore.

you know ive never thought of that affecting mortgage applications etc. I just had the test without thinking really.

Im going to look into it.

I agree with Shelby1998...I think that this may have been the case years ago when AIDS/HIV first came to light but it's not anymore...

We weren't asked any health questions for our mortgage and my friend who's a midwife says everyone takes the test and, in the four years she's been a midwife, she's only known one person who tested positive and that was someone who had just arrived in the country and suspected she was anyway! It is absolutely standard practice these days and, apart from anything else, I think it's really good that people get themselves checked out these days (pregnant or not), noone should be punished for that!

We had to have blood tests for our life insurance....
But thats because when G & I got together, one of us had an sti, and gave it to the other one!! (hmmmm men!!) :roll:
But at the time we'd been to the GUM clinic and had full tests done.... Which we were going to do anyway before we found out that it was too late!!!
So we did the whole HIV tests etc..... But because that was over 2 years ago when we applied for life insurance they wanted an up to date HIV test.... So again i still convinced myself that it would be positive (!!!) And of course it came back ok....

For some reason my life insurance cover can't start for another 6 months, but i'm waiting for a letter giving me resons.... It will either be because Dad was recently disgnosed with Cancer, so affects my chances(?) Or because up until last year i was having colposopies every 6 months and they just want another clear smear test before they'll start my cover. (nothing to do with the blood test!) Graham's cover has started straight away, so can't be to do with the blood tests!!

But as its already been said i'd have the tests done for the babies sake, surely having a healthy baby is more important than having to pay a bit more for life insurance etc??

xox

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back