sleeping on ours backs ?

Gem & Leland

Reaction score
why is it recommended we shouldnt ? i get paranoid if i endup like that but with the back issues ive had lately sometimes thats comfy !

why shouldnt we sleep on our backs ? ive not got a huge bump or anything to squish me ?

I think its somethin about blood flow and also there one side i think your left which you supposed to sleep on to help oxygen and blood flow to the baby... but i'm not sure this it true

Its to do with blood flow and circulation to your legs and so on. From about 18 weeks onwards as I understand it, though it differs for everyone. IIRC they recommened you don't spend longer than 20-30 minutes on your back at any one time and to sleep on your sides.

And re sleeping on your left side. Yes its supposed to be the best thing for you blood supply and circulation wise, but I think rotating on both sides is fine. You can't sleep if your not comfortable.

If i lie on my back normally it makes me dizzy and I cant breathe but sometimes in the night wake up on my back, i suppose if we turn in the night there aint alot we can do about and im sure if our organs we're being squished our heads would have the sense to turn us over!!

i sleep on my back at the mo cos its sore to sleep on my side i wake up with my hips hurting and move like a granny for an hour lol only problem i get when lying on my back is cramp sometimes, but like midna says you wont be able to when ur bump is bigger anyway so enjoy it while u can. i reaaaallly miss sleeping on my tummy :( its the only way i get a really good nights sleep

Sleep..??? whats that?? I needed to go to the loo four times last night and slept on my back, my left my right and sort of on my front in the recovery position. I had a bottle of non alcoholic becks before bed and think I paid for it all night!!!!

I have to lie on my back cause if I sleep on my left side I get a 'gurgly' chest and if I sleep on my right I get heartburn :( If it will be physically impossible to sleep on my back later on then I'm not gonna get any sleep atall!! Noooo :cry:

I spend all night tossing and turning from left to right. I know left is better for you and the baby so it's just aswell that is my most comfy side as my right leg tends to get really sore at the top of my thigh like a nerve is being squashed or something. I do find that I have to move onto my back at about 6.30am and I stay there til I get up. I like that last hour or so as it's when Flump tends to wake up too and I get to feel his first movements of the day :D

As timsmom said, i also usually sleep in the recovery type position, but i do find myself waking up lying on my back.

So far i havent found it uncomfortable to sleep on my back so gonna enjoy it while i can.

i also manage to sleep in recovery position but i cant see it happening much longer :rotfl: if i sleep on my back i snore soooo loud

I end up in all sorts of positions through the night ohhh that sounds rude :rotfl:

I have woken up a few times on my front, it's how I've always slept! I remember asking my midwife about it when i was pregnant with Brody and she said bubs would be well protected.

I'm a bit extra worried this time about sleeping on my back as thats where the placenta is this pregnancy, and I don't want to squash it. :?

Urchin said:
I have woken up a few times on my front, it's how I've always slept! I remember asking my midwife about it when i was pregnant with Brody and she said bubs would be well protected.

I'm a bit extra worried this time about sleeping on my back as thats where the placenta is this pregnancy, and I don't want to squash it. :?

did you have placenta on the front last time hun? mines on front and I always end up sleeping on my tummy as that how I sleep too so am I likely to squish it?

x

I sleep on my tummy/recovery position.....

hoping i can do this for as long as possible as i find it most comfortable :pray:

ii still sleep on my back and its perfectly comfortable, even if i try to sleep on my side i wake up on my back

If i sleep on my tummy bubs starts moving around. If i lay on my right side my back and hips hurt so I can only really lay on my left which is annoying because I have always slept on my right hand side. I have never found it comfortable sleeping on my back.

I full nights sleep would be nice though I either need a wee about 4 times a night or I wake up aching.

Tillytots said:
Urchin said:

did you have placenta on the front last time hun? mines on front and I always end up sleeping on my tummy as that how I sleep too so am I likely to squish it?

x

nah I doubt it, it's just one of those things I think about LOL. I think last time it was on the side, not sure.

I trained myself not to sleep on my tummy which is how I like to sleep and now I'm waking myself up inthe middle of the night because I'm paranoid about sleeping on my back! It's really frustrating! I find it hard to stay on my side all night and am irritated that I ever read anything about bllod flow and why you shouldn;t sleep on your back! I bet all of our mums slept how ever they liked! And we're all ok (I hope!) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back