• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Skin to skin when baby is born

flexilexi394

Reaction score
Just doing a bit of thinking really, so once baby is out, do you take nightie off or get a button up one to be able to have skin to skin and be able to start feeding straight away? I kind of like to be organised lol and and just would be intreigued to know what everyone thinks or any ideas what you guys will be doing?
Any advice or plans on what you'll be doing will be greatly appreciated! X

I had my nightie on and he was put straight on top of me onto my nighty the second he was born, after a few seconds the midwife helped me put him underneath my nighty onto my chest with his head coming out where mine was.. It was very snug and cosy for him and would do this next time too :) Rather than having baby bare on my chest xx

I had a rather large t-shirt type nightie on and just pulled it up and then she went straight onto my chest. Because the hospital room was so warm and I was so warm she was fine bare x this time I have a button up shirt that I intend to labour in though may end up naked yet x

has anyone found those nighties or jarma tops that have buttons down the front, i have been looking at asda and tesco but cant find any yet,

i kinda wanted jarmers cos i hate wearing nighties (i feel like a kid or a old lady,lol) but i think i will try and get a nighty instead.

xxx

I've just bought two button down flannel type 'shirt' looking nighties from tesco, ones White with multiple coloured spots and the others black and pink x

I wore a nighty because I wanted a bit of extra length to cover up a bit of my dignity :blush: Although it could have been up round my neck for all I knew :lol: xx

I wore a nighty because I wanted a bit of extra length to cover up a bit of my dignity :blush: Although it could have been up round my neck for all I knew :lol: xx

My dignity deserted me during labour! Lol x I had a mw and a student mw and my mw was checking dilation, chatting away to the student and then suddenly realised she still had her hand checking my dilation! I found it quite funny! Lol x

Good point, thanks for flagging that up!

I think I'll want to wear a nightie, cos then you can cover up down there quite quickly (I'm very, very body shy. I think I'm more nervous about people seeing me without clothes on than I am about the actual birth!!!).

But as my Mum has told me a few times, being pregnant/having a baby, you lose all dignity. I'm already starting to see that's true!!

But as my Mum has told me a few times, being pregnant/having a baby, you lose all dignity. I'm already starting to see that's true!!

Quite true! lol! My MIL said to leave your dignity at the door and collect it on the way out. :lol:

Very good advice esoames!

has anyone found those nighties or jarma tops that have buttons down the front, i have been looking at asda and tesco but cant find any yet,

i kinda wanted jarmers cos i hate wearing nighties (i feel like a kid or a old lady,lol) but i think i will try and get a nighty instead.

xxx

I went to Primark on the weekend and bought some nighties and pyjamas in larger sizes (I've been wearing hubby's t-shirts in bed as my pj's are too tight, and even they are getting uncomfortable now). They have a massive range and at really cheap prices too. I bought quite a few as will need to pack a couple in hospital bag.

Hey hun...its a good idea to have a nighty that buttons up all the way down, so u can undue the top buttons and have skin to skin contact and still feel a lil dignity lol....although youl get your own space at that time i should hope!! xx

I thought I would hate wearing a nighty afterwards but actually it was easier than the thought of pyjamas, I found some in primark.
I just wore a baggy tshirt for the birth and hitched it up for skin to skin :flower:

I had an emergency section with no notice so no time to get changed into my pjs etc so in recovery midwife whipped my t-shirt off me for some skin to skin and a feed - dignity at the door every step of the way - tell u ladies what tho - worth every second for that first precious snuggle with ur new bestest buddy!!! Filling up here just thinking about it!!! Bloody pregnancy hormones!! x x x

I didn't have time to put a nightie on with Lacey so I gave birth in a polo shirt and she was placed on me after birth but didn't have skin to skin as I had complications after so I couldn't hold her!! It's true about dignity, you don't think about those things when your in labour, you gotta have it all out anyway for the birth lol I also got this time my pj's from primark, they were only a fiver so it doesn't matter if they get ruined!

thanks for all your replies, think im going to try and find some cheapies in primark just for hosp bag and if i use them i use them if i dont i dont! xx

Im going shopping at a place near me called Bluewater this weekend, although they dont have a primark (i dont think) Me and my best pal were going to take a hospital bag list and get all my bits from there as cheap as we can find them! bit of a challenge! lol! xx

This skin to skin bit is what concerns me too, good post Lexi

I brought a button navy blue long nightie for slipping over me after my section, PJ's are out due to the annoying catherter they stick in you for a day or so!. wanted black but got navy as not so girlie, I couldn't face the two pack with a black one, and a bright pink one with scottie dogs on it , that went with it!

Very interested that you had skin to skin Karen after your section, great news, my arms always go dead with the spinal thing and I can never move them, and also two of my babies went straight to Scbu so didn't get the chance. I will def tell them this is what I want to do this time.

This may be a bit thick, but do you worry about a nappy, if your having a long skin to skin eg 1 hour?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back