skin to skin straight after birth - your experiences please!

laetitia85

Reaction score
Was anyone lucky enough to have the skin to skin moment with their babies straight after the birth?

I went to a breasfeeding workshop at the hospital and they said it was very important to have it for at least 30 minutes and to start breastfeeding. But i'm thinking... Family will be so impatient to see little one when he's born and i don't really want any of them to be there when i do the skin to skin, apart from hubby (especially because I will be topless trying to breasfeed!)

and also the few minutes after the delivery seem like a lot of commotion, with the doctor having to weigh baby etc... is it really possible to have that special time? how did your go?

thanks!
:D

the family aren't going to be in the room in the first 30 minutes - no matter how impatient they are :? you have to be cleaned up etc and you'll be in a delivery room - generally you don't have visitors there - that'll be when you're back on the ward.

the midwives will be used to people asking for this - they'll have it all sorted out so that babies checks and being weighed etc will work around you having skin to skin and feeding.

I had my son at home, and as soon as he was born he went straight onto my chest. I only got 5 minutes with him because the midwives were in a hurry to get my placenta out (I later found out there was a knot in the cord and I was bleeding quite a lot) so Austin went to his Daddy at 5 minutes old. OH did skin-to-skin too.

Austin didn't end up being weighed until he was about 40 minutes old. I went & had a shower first!

I think most of the newborn checks (APGAR) can be done by observation so you should be able to acheive 30 mins skin-to-skin providing there are no complications.

Don't worry if you don't get it though, you will still bond with your baby & breastfeed just as well without it. :hug:

My skin to skin moment was literaly just that, a moment! He was put on my chest for about a minute for cuddles then because my membranes were ruptured for 32 hours they had to give him a check over immediately. I was also losing quite a bit of blood so I still needed a lot of attention.

yes - just to add I didn't get any - I saw him as he was delivered then he was taken to SCBU and it was about 2 hours till i saw him again - didn't make the slightest bit of difference :D

I can't remember exactly how long (too many drugs) but when she was born OH passed her to me and I was able to have skin to skin. She was rooting around and had her first feed after about 10 minutes. Then my sister, MIL and FIL came in to meet her, and she was still skin to skin but I was covered as I had a front opening gown and blankets all over me so she could still lie on me but I was not flashing my wares off. They left after about 5 mins and then I went up to have a shower etc and she was checked over.

Even if your family are impatient I am sure they won't mind waiting that little bit longer. I personally found it amazing to have that time and to feed her, and it helped me clam down after the birth before everyuone came in. Its the bit I am looking most forward to this time round, cuddling my newborn.

When i had skin to skin with imogen she was very easy to latch to breastfeed and we have a bond now, i feel because of the skin to skin we had.
She was delivered straight onto my chest though and i cleaned her up and cut her cord too.
She was only takenaway for a couple of mins for weighingthen passed straight back to me.
It was lovely!

i did it was AMAZING! i had a home birth so the only thing the MWs did b4 giving my daughter to me was cut the cord. she was on my chest still with blood on her and looked at me with huge eyes and i put my finger near her and she gripped it with the tiniest little grey fingers! im so glad i had the moment, i think it really helped with bonding, i dont think its possible to bond with her any more than i hav done. one of the first things the MW said was "shes a good feeder!" as she latched on straight away

yes was lovely looking into your babys eyes and their eyes looking back at you and trying to focus. was a lovely experience first time round :)

I had Jude on my chest the minute he was born, blood goo and all!! Then he was weighed etc and cleaned up. The MW then put him inside my nightie while I was stitched and sorted out. He was having a good look at me and his Dad. Then we were left alone for ages and ages in the delivery room, just the 3 of us, and we had a cup of tea . I was exhausted and it was almost 6 in the morning by the time we got to the room! So probably could have done with a bit less skin to skin and a bit more kip!! :rotfl:

yes millie was placed straight on me and i have asked for the same again this time, its such a beautiful moment and you only get the chance to do it that one time so i say go for it, plus its lovely if you want to breastfeed, millie fed straight away for 10 mins xx

Sam was on me for a whole hour before they took him to clean, weigh and measure him. He did the 'breast crawl' and it was the most amazing thing I've EVER experienced!

I go weak at the knees just remembering it!

Maddison was put onto my chest while her cord was cut and it was a beautiful moment. She had to be taken away quite quickly though as she wasnt breathing but as soon as the doctors had sorted her out she was placed back on me again while my placenta was being delivered :D

Pretty much the same as everyone else here.
I got skin to skin for a good 5 - 10 minutes and it was amazing - wouldn't change it for the world.
However for the situations where it's not possible, it's not going to make you or baby love each other any less, but IMO I would say your family can wait. Also - you will be delivering the placenta, having your checks etc, so the family will still be outside and you can have your moments then :D

It's difficult to explain but it will all make sense when bubs is in your arms. Personally I felt like time stood still while midwives were sorting me out and tidying up the 'business end' I was just staring at my baby trying to figure out exactly what I had just managed to do!

I missed out on the skin to skin straight after Isaac was born as he was whisked away for a needle inserting (fear of infection-which he never had :roll: ) I was sewn up but out of it from a long labour and spinal block etc I didn't know as I was out of it, but he only got returned to me with OH a couple of hrs later, where we then had skin to skin and he latched on the breast immediately and stayed there happily, then OH had skin to skin with him, it was beautiful, we were on the high dependancy ward too and no-one else was there and the lights were off, only some light from doorway windows gave us just enough to see. You won't care about who wants to see your LO as long as you are with him, other family members seem less important on birthday hehe I wouldn't have wanted to rush that moment for anyone, very best wishes with your skin to skin :hug:

I had to have an Emergency C-Section and I wasn't able to have skin-to-skin for 2 hours which I was absolutely gutted about and it made me really jealous because my husband was able to hold him straight after I had him and I had to make do with just looking at him, I couldn't even hold or touch him I was gutted

I got the skin to skin in the birth pool for a few minutes then they cut the cord, then he was passed to Nat, then weighed while I was getting placenta out, and then passed to me to start breastfeeding while everyone else tidied up :)

both my boys were delivered straight onto my chest and I had each of the for about 5 mins, then Mason was weighed and given back to me but with Brody I had to go to theatre so had to wait 2 hours to have him back :(

reanna was delivered straight on to my tummy but she needed oxygen so it was only for a few minutes then she was passed onto my OH and mum whilst i was sewn up. i was then given a cup of tea and some toast and she was put inside my nightie and we had then skin to skin then for about half an hour and it was great, then i gave her her first feed and went for a bath.

your family will not be able to see you or baby during the time in the labour suite and after birth you can be in there for a few hours being sewn up, bathed and giving a first feed with OH (or whoever your birthing partner is) then you go bk onto ward and if it is visiting hours your family will be able to visit but if not they will have to wait until it is visitig so i would warn them against waiting at hospital for LO to be born becus the chances of them seein him/her straight away is minimal. my OH's family came when they knew i was at pushin stage and she was born at 5.30 pm but i didnt get bk onto the ward until 7.30pm and they only had half an hour and were only allowed in 2 at a time to visit but if i had been half an hour later (should have had a longer bath lol) they would have had a wasted journey and had to go home, so i would prewarn them hun.

xxxxx

Jack was put straight onto my chest - it was AMAZING! :cheer:

The midwife left him there for a good 20 minutes while placenta was delivered etc, my aunty came in to see me and my cousin and to be honest I didn't give a sh't if the saw me with no clothes you really do leave your dignity at the door when having a baby. PLus i had a blanket over me and Jack so they couldn't really see a lot. :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back