Should I remain team yellow???

purpleisa

Reaction score
Got my 20 week scan tomorrow (at last!!) and can't decide whether to ask about the gender.

I did with DD 4 years ago and got a "probably a girl but not sure" so it meant I was still v uncertain and didn't go out and buy pink.

OH doesn't mind if we try to find out or not. BFF wants to know (and is having a private scan to find out with her current preg - she is 15 weeks)!

Basically I'm impatient and I would quite like to find out but I would much prefer a definite or a 90% or something not just a maybe. Or maybe I should just wait and have a surprise when baby is born??

What did you all decide to do and why??

L x

I have my scan in 3 weeks time and have decided to be on team yellow. I feel for me a surprise at birth is the way to go and will be a massive incentive to get through labour to find out the sex.

Also this is my opinion, if a friend is pregnant I anticipate the birth much more and get so excited waiting to find out the flavour.

I've got my scan next thurs and am still undecided...always stayed team yellow in the past and now have 3 boys. I prob won't decide for definite till the day xx

I am pro finidng out and will be finding out when my 20week scan comes round! I cant wait to know what im having and I dont think its going to ruin my pregnancy in the slightest despite what people have told me!

I have a scan on Monday and they told me that it was probably a girl but can't be sure until the 20 week scan ... I can't wait until the 7th of Oct

I stayed team yellow
but I understand that it's maybe easier to find out
so that you can buy certain colours of things/toys etc -
it is all personal choice I guess! X

I was determined to stay team yellow but as the time got closer I just thought 'Oh what the hell!' and I got them to check and double check at the scan before telling me. I think perhaps if you explain what happened last time say for them not to tell you unless they are fairly certain they know then you'll feel more reassured. Good luck!

I am not finding out. Imagine the feeling of finding out if you are having a girl or a boy after carrying them for 9 months? I think it would just be brilliant. I really want to know but I am planning to just stay yellow. Also what will keep you wondering when you are at those last stages? If you already know the sex and your having a baby where else are the suprises in labour?

I'm pro finding out too and I'm really glad I did, its a brilliant suprise either way whether you find out now or at the birth.
Its totally a personal choice though but if you did want to find out I'd just explain things before you were scanned and ask not to be told unless they were certain :) x

I think it's a personal thing really, I personally cannot wait to find out on Wednesday! I'm finding out because me and OH want to know, and I know my OH will love knowing. He was looking at baby clothes in tesco yesterday and wanted to buy a gender specific outfit, so I think it will be nice knowing. Some lady that was on a hen do with us at weekend said to me are you finding out, I said yes, and she said "stupid kids these days! What will you be in labour for?! You won't get through it if you already know the sex, it will just be a big waste of time!" I was gobsmacked that she said that to me and so was everyone else I think, I was like well at end of day I'll be giving birth to the most precious baby in the whole world reguardless of the sex!! Some people eh! X

We decided to find out as I'm sooooo impatient and I absolutely hated the cream/gender neutral clothes that were out though there's some nice ones now! My hospital won't say percentages in case they are wrong and get sued but baby wasn't shy and his willy was very obvious so when my OH asked if the sonographer was 100% certain she said 'we're not allowed to give a percentage but it's very obvious' lol x I would always find out but I think that whatever you choose is a great experience!

Thanks everyone!!! I understand its a totally personal choice but thanks to everyone for sharing their take on it! x o

I had spent days trying to make up my mind and decided personally to stay team yellow - then OH (previously yellow all the way but wanted me to decide) annouces this morning "Lets find out so it will make buying stuff easier and that will save us money". What?

Not sure why he thinks the baby stuff will cost less if we know the sex!! (Men??!) Also bff really wants me to find out (she is preg r now with baby no three and already has two boys and is having a 4d scan to find out as early as she can) - this is simply nosiness but she will forgive me (eventually) if I stay yellow lol.

I thought of asking them to write it down and put it in an envelope and then my options are open (OK I will admit it that is me just trying to avoid making a decision!!!!!!!!! haha)

Scan is at 3.15 - still undecided!

I think it's a personal thing really, I personally cannot wait to find out on Wednesday! I'm finding out because me and OH want to know, and I know my OH will love knowing. He was looking at baby clothes in tesco yesterday and wanted to buy a gender specific outfit, so I think it will be nice knowing. Some lady that was on a hen do with us at weekend said to me are you finding out, I said yes, and she said "stupid kids these days! What will you be in labour for?! You won't get through it if you already know the sex, it will just be a big waste of time!" I was gobsmacked that she said that to me and so was everyone else I think, I was like well at end of day I'll be giving birth to the most precious baby in the whole world reguardless of the sex!! Some people eh! X

Flexi this happens to me all the bloody time when I tell people I want to know!!! errrrm you are still getting a baby at the end of labour so its not a big waste of time!!! I think people saying its an incentive is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard, whether you know the sex or not you are still getting a baby at the end of it all! thats incentive enough for me I dont need a surprise to make me push!

I have to say for me, not knowing what sex baby is will be an added incentive to get through labour and I feel it will make the birth even more special for us.

Just something to ponder over. Everyone managed before not knowing when that was the only option.

Purpurisa, we were staying team yellow, as this is my last baby, and I personaly liked the suprise, but we told the lady at the scan we don't want to know, but in hindsighht, I should have asked her to turn away the screen at any point did she check lower region like toes etc , as we could clearly see were are having a boy! and so I don't think she was as careful as she could have been. (which I am delighted about), but would have liked to stay on team yellow still this time.

Also if you asdk for the envelope, she offered , (she didn't think she had given the game away, bless her), and we took her up on it, as we then felt we needed confirmation - we lasted 10 mins, it was like a secret lottery ticket, you had to open it, so I don't recomend it!! ha

I lke both ways, and have done both, both have pros and cons , but knowing is also great for bonding etc and like in Emma's case preparing herself if another boy and not a girl.

Good luck whatever you do

Last edited:
just thinking the same? what team did you go with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back